backpack for shore excursions

islandwoman

I'm looking for a backpack, large enough to hold a light jacket, poncho, water, and the other things we take on shore excursions, but also lightweight and flexible enough to fit into a checked bag for air travel to/from the cruise embarkation and disembarkation ports. (Using the backpack that I wear on the plane doesn't work for me because it disrupts my packing organization and then I tend to lose things or not have what I need when I need it.)

Does anyone have suggestions? 

I purchased a cotton canvas backpack last time I was in Hawaii that works great for the use you are describing. You can order one online. Made in Hawaii by nani island. Not heavy duty by any means but I have used mine quite a bit and it's holding up.

Just saying. Cheap backpacks are vulnerable to theft.   I have a backpack that we have used for years, and when time was an issue  and I was frazzled, I put my wallet in the most outside pocket instead of buried in the coats. YES,  my stupidity in action.  I was expertly pick-pocketed while I was wearing the damned thing and my husband was almost always walking behind me.  In Copenhagen.  Didn't realize it had happened until I'd taken the backpack off to pull something else out of the backpack......and the pocket was unzipped......

• Like 1

Yup, been there. 

As far as we know, Gare du Nord in Paris, possibly in the taxi queue. We lost two new Kindles - about 9 or 10 years ago when they weren't cheap.

Edited by Underwatr

DW and I both use decent backpacks for our carry-on stuff.  Not only does it leave our hands free for other luggage, but a backpack can easily hold a heavy load with relative ease.  When checking-in and boarding aircraft the staff pays little attention to backpacks.  Once on our cruises or trips the backpacks double as perfect bags for day trips.  We would never put our valuables into an outside pocket of a backpack as those compartments are an easy target for pros.   But unlike carry-on luggage our backpacks can stay on our person while always keeping our hands free for other items or personal security.

Hank

6 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Do you like your Lugs?  Do they hold a light jacket, poncho, etc. and fit easily into your checked bag?

They fold up into one of their pockets, nearly flat.  Going to the beach one can hold two beach towels, water bottles, kindles...and other stuff if necessary.  EM

47 minutes ago, feathersandnananose said:

Just saying. Cheap backpacks are vulnerable to theft.   

I have a PacSafe backpack.  It is not very large.  I like it because it is lightweight and big enough for me to carry my IPAD, a light sweater, a bottle of water, etc., in it.  I never carry my ID or money in my backpack even though it is able to be secured.  I feel safer having my ID and money in a small crossbody purse.  One time we were in London leaving our hotel.  At the time I didn’t even have the IPAD in the backpack.  I had a paperback book and some toiletries.  Nothing of any value.  I got lazy and did not latch my backpack shut with the clips.  Sure enough, while standing in line to purchase some sandwiches for the train, a young man told me my backpack was open.  I took it off my back and sure enough, it was wide open.  Nothing missing, though.  I bet the person trying to steal from me was disappointed.  They didn’t think my book and baby wipes worth stealing!  So, don’t get lazy when you have a backpack that is designed to deter theft.  I was lucky.

My SO is European, so she always carries one or two very lightweight backpacks.  More like a sack with cords to carry like a backpack.  Typically used in Europe when grocery shopping (disposable bags are not free)

NEVER for anything valuable, but towels, umbrella, sun screen, etc.

I have NO idea how to find them here.  But I have seen them for sale in gift shops at some theme parks.   And I just picked up a couple at a convention.  Vendors handed them out for people to carry literature and goodies.

AAAHHHH,  Here is they are (search for Drawstring Backpack) - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=drawstring+backpack&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Anti-theft - of course!  I didn't think of that earlier.  Now I know that I need a packable, anti-theft day pack.  I found one by Travelab, but it's only 12 liters.  That wouldn't be large enough for my jacket, poncho, water, and shore excursion incidentals.  Does anyone know of a bigger one? 

Edited by islandwoman

6 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Anti-theft - of course!  I didn't think of that earlier.  Now I know that I need a packable, anti-theft day pack.  I found one by Travelab, but it's only 12 liters.  That wouldn't be large enough for my jacket, poncho, water, and shore excursion incidentals.  Does anyone know of a bigger one? 

12 liters is 3 gallons. That is really almost too big.

I have an earlier version of this and it's perfect for use in ports, and takes up very little room in suitcase. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86674?page=stowaway-day-pack

I also have a lightweight Eddie Bauer one that folds up into one of its pockets for storage. It is also very good, but not quite as sturdy/well made as the LL Bean one.

We use something like this.  Not this brand, but similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Kimlee-Backpack-Shoulder-Crossbody-Resistant/dp/B07CJJ5MKD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3RYFB7N1MT1X1&keywords=one+strap+backpack+for+men&qid=1563023652&s=gateway&sprefix=one+stra%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

We like the single strap sling style because you can easily put it in front of you.  Backpacks on your back are easy targets for pickpockets and you can bump into people or displays in stores.  I remember signs on the crowded vaporetti in Venice instructing you to remove your backpacks.

We've used these for years and they work great for us for anything from flea markets to international travel.  They are sturdy enough for carry-ons and make great shopping bags on port days.

I've never tried packing one in a suitcase, but I'm sure it would take up valuable space.

Edited by papajoe
Correct typo

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.  I checked out your backpacks and finally settled on a TotalPack 35L.  I paid a little extra to buy it from amazon because that one has an unconditional guarantee.  It weighs almost nothing, has several pockets, and the bottle holders are just right for my 12 oz. water bottles.  It's big enough to hold my jacket, poncho and other things I might want to take on a shore excursion. But the only security feature is a "hidden anti-theft pocket" and the zippers have a tendency to get stuck in the fabric of the backpack. And it has no waist strap.  Instead it has a chest strap, obviously made for a man (not me). Not perfect but I'll give it a try on my next cruise.  Again, thank you all for your suggestions.