Caviar in the Surf - Caribbean

English Tim

We are taking a 2 week cruise from Barbados and return.

Will there be 2 Caviar in the surf days, 1 at Carambola Beach, St Kitts in the Barbados to Phillipsburg sector or will the people who only book 1 week (Phillipsburg to Barbados sector), miss out?

On the Philipsburg to Barbados segment, Caviar in the Surf should be held in Saline Bay, Mayreau.  The reverse trip Caviar in the Surf will be at Carambola Beach, St. Kitts

We did a 14 night back to back in January with two Caviar in the Surf events- we enjoyed the food  and setting more at the private beach on St. Kitts. Mayreau was fine but a little more rustic- fewer tables and less shade- almost seemed like the activities were dialed back a notch ; more speedboats on Carambola.

Either stop you will enjoy the food and fun with the staff!

Carambola Beach event is not to be missed, followed by buffet quality lunch, clean restrooms at the site. Go early for best shade loungers.

We also had a caviar in surf event scheduled for Mayreau on the second week but weather was too  rough to tender, so they did caviar in the pool, and a MDR/ galley lunch spread instead that was nicely done.

Remember you can also order a nice caviar plate with trimmings any time you want on boars with no upcharge ( for now, anyway), even to room service, with champagne or vodka or anything else.

Edited by Catlover54
typo

I have a question for anyone who might know....

We have done the beach event at Ko Kood and absolutely loved it.  Next year we are off on a SB cruise and it includes a stop off at Carambola, St. Kitts and Nevis.  

If I remember rightly, when we went to Ko Kood for the day, there were no SB excursions on offer because of this event.  

I didn't realise that Carambola was on St. Kitts & Nevis and have already booked and paid for a SB excursion on a catamaran.  

Can I assume that there is no Beach event because of the excursions being offered on the SB website?   Or do they do one every time they call there...

I wouldn't want to miss a beach event!

7 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

I have a question for anyone who might know....

We have done the beach event at Ko Kood and absolutely loved it.  Next year we are off on a SB cruise and it includes a stop off at Carambola, St. Kitts and Nevis.  

If I remember rightly, when we went to Ko Kood for the day, there were no SB excursions on offer because of this event.  

I didn't realise that Carambola was on St. Kitts & Nevis and have already booked and paid for a SB excursion on a catamaran.  

Can I assume that there is no Beach event because of the excursions being offered on the SB website?   Or do they do one every time they call there...

I wouldn't want to miss a beach event!

Hi Mauzac. We were on Sojourn in December 2017. Carambola was one of our stops and there was at least one excursion listed for that day (i believe it was a morning time).  We did have our beach event, it was super. I think Carambola is my favourite location for the Caviar in the Surf.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Thank you.  I might have to contact SB and verify as I would hate to miss a minute of the Beach event!

If you do contact them can you update here with their response? We're on Sojourn again in December and after I posted my reply to you I decided to take a look at what, if any, excrusions were list for Carambola this time.

There are about 5 different ones listed, and at least one is 4 hours long returning to ship approx 1400. So I'm now wondering whether we will have the event or not. I'm sure there was only one listed last time. We're there on 25 December so who knows?

(On a side note I'm disappointed to see that SB is offering 'dolphin encounters' excursions.Captive dolphins.  But hey, that's another thread!)

I will indeed update. 

The excursion we've booked commences at 1pm for 3.5 hours but if the beach event is on, I will be cancelling it.  There are a total of 4 excursions offered at Carambola.  I'm just surprised they offer all this if the ship is debunking to the island for a glorious beach day, so I need to find out! 

Just now, Mauzac said:

I will indeed update. 

The excursion we've booked commences at 1pm for 3.5 hours but if the beach event is on, I will be cancelling it.  There are a total of 4 excursions offered at Carambola.  I'm just surprised they offer all this if the ship is debunking to the island for a glorious beach day, so I need to find out! 

Yes, I'm surprised to see an excursion at that time of day too if they're planning the beach day. 

Also worth a mention whilst Carambola is being discussed, is that in November and early December 2017 they were unable to tender there a couple of times due to choppy seas. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 1:55 PM, Isklaar said:

If you do contact them can you update here with their response?

I've spoken with SB UK and they were very helpful.  Yes, Carambola is earmarked for the Beach event but it does depend on weather conditions etc.  They suggest I leave my excursion in place and cancel it nearer the time, but if the weather is adverse they won't be doing a catamaran trip anyway which was the excursion we had booked.  So I think I will be cancelling...

• Thanks 1

We are on the 11/28 previously Cuba trip with a call to Carambola Beach.  What time of day is the Caviar in the surf normally. The itinerary does say that is the day for the event. Interesting that there are 4 excursions that day. 

3 hours ago, wesport said:

We are on the 11/28 previously Cuba trip with a call to Carambola Beach.  What time of day is the Caviar in the surf normally. The itinerary does say that is the day for the event. Interesting that there are 4 excursions that day. 

In my experience, caviar is usually delivered to the beach - with everything the delivery entails - somewhere close to 11.45am -12 noon.

The beach is usually accessible from around 10am onwards but the crew works very hard indeed to get it set up so sometimes it's a little later than this when the first tender goes out. 

We actually missed the caviar delivery on our last cruise (Ko Kood, Thailand) due to not arriving at tender deck until 11.30am and combined with SB messing up the tender service at that time.

It's the only time it's happened to us but if it had been my first caviar in the surf event I would have been a little disappointed. Lesson learned - go on an earlier tender even if it does mean waiting in a small line for a few minutes!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone:

We are on the 1/4/20 cruise Barbados to St. Martin.  There are several excursions offered in Carambola Beach, and no mention of beach party and caviar on the itinerary.  Does this mean that it won't be offered?  Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, jeb0816 said:

Hi everyone:

We are on the 1/4/20 cruise Barbados to St. Martin.  There are several excursions offered in Carambola Beach, and no mention of beach party and caviar on the itinerary.  Does this mean that it won't be offered?  Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Listen to Isklaar.  That's very sage advice. Go one one of the first tenders and get a good lounge chair, soak up the view and sun, and don't bother with the excursions.  The main reason Seabourn stops at Carambola Beach is caviar in the surf and the beach barbecue.

3 minutes ago, jeb0816 said:

Noted, thank you!  Specifically, I am wondering if Caviar in the Surf happens every time they go to Carambola.   There is no indication of it on the itinerary.  

It has never shown up on one of our itineraries but it still is always planned in certain regions (e.g. Caribbean).  It will happen (weather permitting) and as others have said, it will almost definitely be at Carambola Beach.  

• Like 1