Carrying On All Luggage

young_k92

People please -- if you don't have FTTF or if you're not Platinum or Diamond, DON'T go to your cabin until the ship announces that cabins are ready.  It is rude to the stewards (no, they probably won't say anything, but you are in the way while they are frantically trying to turn over all the cabins), and it is plain against the rules.

• Like 5

I love carrying our bags on the ship.  My husband and I each have a carry-on bag and smaller bag.  We won't even check bags when flying.  If we have FTTF, we take the bags directly to our cabin.  I checked the larger bags when we didn't have FTTF, except once when I forgot and we carried them on the ship.  We still ate lunch, but then we stayed in one place until the cabins were ready.

On my last cruise I had FTTF.  Boarding for FTTF began at 10:50 am and we were in our cabin and completely unpacked by 11:10 am!!  It was great.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

We carry on our own luggage for every cruise, including long 14 day ones. As long as you feel comfortable carrying it around for a while, such as in an airport, you won't have a problem. Yes, sometimes you have to wait for an elevator with or without bags. Just try not to over pack for your own sake. 

• Thanks 1

To anyone that wishes to carry on/off their own luggage good for you it's your choice. Just realize all home ports are not created equally. It would be good to post this ? on your ship's roll call so those with experience for that particular ship and home port can chime in. 

Just as an example the port at Baltimore is a single ground level terminal very easy to navigate from car to door and around the check-in area or customs clearance section. BUT but many are taken back when they get to the gang way for the Pride which can have a climb as high as 3.5 stories with up to 5 switchbacks and no mechanical alternatives. 

• Thanks 1

To anyone that wishes to carry on/off their own luggage good for you it's your choice. Just realize all home ports are not created equally. It would be good to post this ? on your ship's roll call so those with experience for that particular ship and home port can chime in. 

Just as an example the port at Baltimore is a single ground level terminal very easy to navigate from car to door and around the check-in area or customs clearance section. BUT but many are taken back when they get to the gang way for the Pride which can have a climb as high as 3.5 stories with up to 5 switchbacks and no mechanical alternatives. 

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, young_k92 said:

I'd like to hear from those who have actually done it regarding their experience.

. . . . .

I'm just wanting to hear from people who have actually done it about their experiences doing it. Yes, my luggage all fits.

On a few short sailings (over multiple lines), I've done it with ease.  I'd repeat the experience, as well as recommend it to others if they felt fully able.

Two times (both CCL) I didn't have a choice, as the carrier didn't hire a team for handling checked bags, and 100% of all passengers had to carry everything onboard, despite some bags being larger than the x-ray would allow. We'd open our bags and have them manually check the contents. There are numerous adjectives that could be used to describe the mood of those security teams, and none of them are allowed on this board without punishment. Both sailings had very delayed departures. 

You are already aware of dimensions, so you won't have issues with a 'normal' boarding process. Bon Voyage!

• Thanks 1

We always carry on.  We usually have 2 large 4 wheel suitcases, 1 tote, and 1 backpack.  We also carry off the luggage.  We usually go out of Galveston (sometimes New Orleans).  We have had the porters try to tell us that the suitcases were too large, and that we would have to come back and check them, but I know that they fit in the xray machine.  That is the hardest part of the carry on, lifting them up on the  belt.  Usually the cases weigh about 40 - 45 lbs.  Just know the dimensions of the machine...and you will do fine.

We don't like letting our luggage out of sight, and I have heard of too many stories of either lost luggage, swimming luggage, or doused luggage.

As long as you are comfortable handling it, go for it.

I have not read the postings, but my question to you, WHY would you want to "carry" all your luggage in, unless you only had "1" piece of luggage???  I ONLY carry 1 piece, and that is the one I carry with me on the airline with my medicine, and main items I need, as well as 1 change of clothes, for "just in case".

8 hours ago, crdtrnr said:

We always carry on.  We usually have 2 large 4 wheel suitcases, 1 tote, and 1 backpack.  We also carry off the luggage.  We usually go out of Galveston (sometimes New Orleans).  We have had the porters try to tell us that the suitcases were too large, and that we would have to come back and check them, but I know that they fit in the xray machine.  That is the hardest part of the carry on, lifting them up on the  belt.  Usually the cases weigh about 40 - 45 lbs.  Just know the dimensions of the machine...and you will do fine.

We don't like letting our luggage out of sight, and I have heard of too many stories of either lost luggage, swimming luggage, or doused luggage.

As long as you are comfortable handling it, go for it.

I appreciate this. You describe the amount of luggage I'm carrying on. Most people who've commented have less luggage. So you've made me feel better about carrying on four larger rollers and a couple carry-ons. Thank you!

8 hours ago, crdtrnr said:

This is why I plan to carry on.

15 minutes ago, young_k92 said:

I appreciate this. You describe the amount of luggage I'm carrying on. Most people who've commented have less luggage. So you've made me feel better about carrying on four larger rollers and a couple carry-ons. Thank you!

If you can carry all your luggage up and down the stairs in one trip than you are good to go.  If took you two trips to go from bedroom to car for the trip to the airport, than do yourself and everyone else a favor and don’t try and carry it all on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, beshears said:

I have not read the postings, but my question to you, WHY would you want to "carry" all your luggage in, unless you only had "1" piece of luggage???  I ONLY carry 1 piece, and that is the one I carry with me on the airline with my medicine, and main items I need, as well as 1 change of clothes, for "just in case".

Read the postings for your answer.

• Like 2

70 cruises and we never need more than our two that go through the xray machine. Unless someone has special needs that requirer more luggage. I never can figure out why two people have 4 big suit cases, two back packs and an over the arm carry all. We see that even on a 4 or 5 day cruise. My lord. How much do you need. Do they change to different clothes ever few hours or what? I find that to be a big burden. To each there own. Years ago my husband carried on his tux. No longer bring that. Ours will enlarge my unzipping the outer cover. it will get bigger by about 2 inches. Never needed that either. Even on a 14 day cruise. We usually switch our cloths every day, Example. A red shirt on the first day and maybe wear it again on the third day. On a long cruise, we send it to the laundry. No charge for us. Taking them to the room and unpacking when we arrive is great. Even if the rooms are not ready. We have never had a problem just dropping them off in the room and leave.

16 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

70 cruises and we never need more than our two that go through the xray machine. Unless someone has special needs that requirer more luggage. I never can figure out why two people have 4 big suit cases, two back packs and an over the arm carry all. We see that even on a 4 or 5 day cruise. My lord. How much do you need. Do they change to different clothes ever few hours or what? I find that to be a big burden. To each there own. Years ago my husband carried on his tux. No longer bring that. Ours will enlarge my unzipping the outer cover. it will get bigger by about 2 inches. Never needed that either. Even on a 14 day cruise. We usually switch our cloths every day, Example. A red shirt on the first day and maybe wear it again on the third day. On a long cruise, we send it to the laundry. No charge for us. Taking them to the room and unpacking when we arrive is great. Even if the rooms are not ready. We have never had a problem just dropping them off in the room and leave.

I’m a big fan of overpacking. If I never unpack, I’m ready to go for the next trip... makes life easy when you go away last minute.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

If you want to bring 7 suitcases for a four night cruise...that is your choice.

If you want to carry on all your luggage and can easily manage said luggage....go for it.

However, if you have more luggage than you can EASILY manage....check the portion you can’t EASILY mange rather than be a bottleneck for others.

• Like 1

We always carry on.  One small rolly suitcase each and a backpack.  I'ts no trouble to manage that at all.  However, if you are taking multiple suitcases, I would dissuade you.  Very crowded in public areas on embarkation day and you will have to take your luggage everywhere you go till rooms are ready.  If you wait till later in the day it might be doable, idk, I  never needed to carry on more luggage even for extended trips.  Have a great cruise whatever you decide. 😎

• Like 1

We carry everything on every time. The only issue I run into are the porters, especially Miami always try to snatch the big rollers out of our hands and we have to get firm with them. Just look up the dimensions for scanners and be able to handle and maneuver your suitcase and you'll be fine. And politely tell the porters that yes these will fit in the scanner, I have medical supplies and wine in my bag and have to carry it on. If they keep at it, then just grab it and ignore them. I've had to do that before and he started yelling at me. Once I made it past the porter, I had no issues. That happened in Miami.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the posts about this!  We are scheduled for 12:30 on the Glory in September and I had been wondering if we could just carry everything on and not have to wait hours for our luggage to re-appear.  We will each have a rolling suitcase and a backpack (wine, meds, electronics).  Sounds like it's completely doable!   

• Like 1

We have never carried on.... In fact I often cursed those that do as they clog hallways, seating areas, etc with heaps of luggage while waiting for cabins to open. But, after reading many horror stories about lost luggage, and reading every post on this thread, perhaps my opinion is changing and may just try it next month. We are adept packers and only take one carryon each and should be able to handle it. 

• Like 1

I almost always carry my own on.  I purposely choose a check-in time of 1:30.  No lines and straight on and to my cabin.  I also pack very light - one rolling bag and one carryon type bag.  My laptop bag works great as a carryon for meds, Kindle, passport, wallet, phone , charger etc.   I carry my own off at the end of the cruise too.

• Thanks 1