PH, IS or on Edge??

MaggieAtSea

Nothing coming in on the reviews or the spreadsheet for these two types of cabins - Penthouse Suite or Iconic Suite on Edge.  Any reviews, plus or minus, out there??  We're thinking the PH on S or M classes may still be better value for $ and space/set-up experience, but open to hear what others who have sailed these cabins on Edge have thought.  Unfortunately not easy to find a comprehensive review, so thank you to any who wish to share their thoughts.

We board the PH on Equinox in a few weeks and want to be prepared with an informed opinion for Future Cruise Concierge when aboard.

Many thanks for help and happy sailing!

Sorry but my information is second hand and re mainly the RS. We know someone who cruised in a RS and were ‘underwhelmed’ by the Suite and furnishings. Whilst on paper it is a comparable size to the S class they found it more compact...The room they could live with but the overhang on the balcony was to them a deal breaker.

They visited the PH and liked the room and bathrooms but disliked the balcony and it’s furnishings. Two sort of sofas but no real sunbed and the overhang again put them right off. It was a combination of no sun during the day and only sideways gazing at the stars at night that killed the rooms for them. However, they loved the Edge and will be cruising again shortly. This time they have chosen a more basic suite which they feel has a nicer although smaller balcony and is obviously much cheaper...I don’t know if the balcony furnishings have been modified since they saw the PH, they were on a very early cruise.

I must say they made us want to experience Edge but put us off our usual room choice of RS with an occasional PH. We did look at booking an Edge Villa Suite in the Mediterranean this Summer but it was simply more than we felt it was worth....We may follow the route our friends have taken and look at a lower suite type in the next year or two. In the meantime two S class RS booked in the Caribbean and Asia at a far more acceptable price!

Sorry I can’t help more, I will be following your thread....Certainly bookings of RS and PH suites seem strong so some people must be enjoying them....

Two people have reviewed the IC on CC. You may have seen them. They are not comprehensive. It sounds like they both had great cruises - one talked about "form over function."  but didn't elaborate.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/celebrity-edge-deck-plans/dp/iconic-suite-ic/cc/

You may have seen the Edge suite thread with more detailed descriptions of the IC and PH and pictures. I have been in both in person and agree that, though a nice balcony, the PH balcony leaves a little something to be desired. It is long and shallow - except for the S1 afts of and IC's forward, the balconies are fairly narrow on this ship (I assume because of the lines of the ship - with IV's the balconies don't protrude from the ship, giving it a sleeker look, at the expense of the port and starboard traditional balconies, IMO). There is also the overhang and some poles on the PH balcony. There isn't a butler's pantry in the PH, as some website descriptions describe. The jacuzzi with a view looks wonderful and the little sun room looks nice (though hopefully they have replaced the chairs).

The IC suite has wonderful views everywhere, what looks like comfortable living room seating (kitchen and living area not separated), butler's pantry, the huge, gorgeous master bath with large jacuzzi (without an ocean view) and the biggest veranda, with lots of seating, cabana for two and a hot tub. I am wondering if it gets too windy to use the veranda at times (I was up there while in port). It looks like a great way to cruise for a family or 2 couples.

Both have lots of Kelly Hoppen vases and other knickknacks that just look cheap to me (in such a luxurious setting) and there are way too many pillows, of course. They may have removed some of the "art" and pillows by now as they look like they get in the way and hopefully other modifications will be done to fix the "form over function" issues. 

I agree with chemmo that the PH and IC bookings seem pretty strong. I'm hoping to get some reviews on the Edge Class sticky. Maybe this thread will get some responses. Thanks for posting! 🙂

This link starts at the PH and you can scroll down for the IC, if you haven't seen this thread.

Edited by vtcruising

Hi everyone,

We sailed for 2 cruises a  preview and  the inaugural on the Edge penthouse.  We then sailed again on Edge in a lesser suite category  5 months later.

I personally would not sail in the PS again on Edge unless it was for a cold weather cruise, or extremely port intensive.

The two bedrooms, two bathrooms are very nice and functional. The decor is a personal taste question, and most of the mechanical kinks of the room have been worked out , as I have other friends who have sailed in the suite recently. the indoor massive jetted tub would be fine for cold weather cruises.  It has a high step up, and over into the tub.

The balcony is narrower and shorter in length than the S class penthouses, and has a large overhang(great for rainy weather). It also had way too much furniture on such a small space, but again they have corrected  some of that since we originally sailed. If you want a mostly sunny balcony, then you will need to go to the Retreat sundeck, or book cabins not on deck 12.

We are going back on Equinox ( on only the shortened drydock revolution) and on Summit post revolution in the same category.

I liked Edge as a ship much better on our last voyage, with less space, because we had a more usable( to us anyway) balcony.

• Like 1