Allergic reaction -- Carnival dining staff and medical staff was fantastic!

DukeASUGirl

OP which ship were you on?

DS19  has long as the food allergies, (including sesame and garbanzo). We have not cruised Carnival before,  but we have a five night on the Valor next Saturday.  

On Norwegian and Disney they had us pick out his meals each night for the following day. Or sometimes a few days in a row. On DCL we just worked with the waiter. On Norwegian they assigned us a maître d’.  Did you check in with the maître d’ first? Or someone in dining services?  Thank you!!

Edited by Vacationdreamer<><

On the Breeze we checked in with someone in dining services on the first day.  I want to say it was from 1-3 in one of the dining rooms.  It was listed in the fun times.  Or ask at guest services.  She was very good in notating all allergies and then I picked out a meal for that evening.  Then every evening I would pick the next night's meal.  I had no issues all week.  I personally would avoid the buffet if she has a lot of allergies because it is too risky for cross-contamination.  I would definitely have your epi pens onboard as well as benadryl or whatever your allergy plan is.  Depending on ship there are other onboard restaurants that she can eat at too.

• Like 1

Glad you are OK.  My son and his family (all Celiac) traveled with friends last month on the Vista.  One of the friend's family members has a severe nut allergy.  That had issues almost the entire cruise with the wrong menu being brought to choose the following night's meals.  As a result, many nights dinner took 2 hours and many items were off limits as there was not enough time to prepare the food gluten free or nut free.

One evening the waiter mixed up my son's entree with the entree for person who has the nut allergy.  Thankfully, both meals were nut free so no issue for the nut free person.  However, my son's meal contained gluten.  He could not even finish his dinner before it was obvious that he had been glutened.  He said he had a really miserable night.  

They complained to the Maitre D about being given the wrong menus to pre order from and their waiter was switched to a more experienced waiter.    But, that is when the mix up between the meals occurred.  My son said it was a crap shoot as to what they would get to eat and they took bets on whether or not they had been given the correct menu the night before.  Not good!  They need to go back to having the hostess take the orders as they did in the past or do like Princess and have an asst Maitre'D do the food allergy orders.  

I was really disturbed to hear about this since I also have Celiac disease.  We have only had 2 instances in the past 12 years where a cruise line messed up my order.  Once was on the RCCL Navigator of the Seas and once on the Carnival Freedom when the waiter gave me someone else's regular meal.  In  both cases I was down and out for most of the cruise. 

• Like 1

Glad to here that you are ok I had similar experience when I had eaten escargot for the first time and had a similar reaction. Luckily I had epipens on me as I am allergic to nuts but the medical staff was fantastic also. Always carry two if you can and use it if you need to.

Thank you DukeASUGirl and others on this site for the recommendation- I posted earlier that my daughter's seafood allergy seems to be getting worse and you suggested reaching out to Auvi-Q since she doesn't currently have an epi pen. I sent my daughter the info about the free Auvi-Q pen and she has applied and been approved to get the free epi pen! I will worry about her seafood allergy a lot less now!