Horrible Story, What was he thinking?

dkjretired

59 minutes ago, spammie said:

Well that's certainly a very different account of what actually happened compared to the information in the first link. 

Assuming this account is correct, I'd be interested to know why a glass pane was removed from a child's play area making it possible to fall from the ship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

There have now been three separate threads on this incident removed by the moderators on the Royal Boards.

My heart grieves for the family, especially the Grandfather who will live with this for the rest of his life.But, since the family has hired an attorney and that attorney has appeared on TV any privacy argument is rendered moot. This is now an active news story that has the potential to affect RCL investors and that includes many who post on this and the Royal Boards. Unless someone is posting in violation of the rules I see no reason to remove this thread at this point. I haven't read the threads that have been removed so I'm not in a ;position to know.

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

There have now been three separate threads on this incident removed by the moderators on the Royal Boards.

Perhaps those posting broke the forum rules? I notice they have not removed this thread :-

Nor have they removed their own reporting of another baby falling on a cruise ship. They also have multiple articles relating to the Costa Concordia tragedy where 32 people lost their lives. So why would they need to remove this thread? 

• Like 2

This video shows the deck in question. 

It can be seen which windows are open and which are closed - the glass has a blue tint to it. From 1.46 mins - 2.11 you can see this close-up.

This was a tragic mistake with horrendous consequences but I fail to see how this was the fault of the company. It's clear which windows are open .

Edited by Bobal
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Orator said:

My heart grieves for the family, especially the Grandfather who will live with this for the rest of his life.But, since the family has hired an attorney and that attorney has appeared on TV any privacy argument is rendered moot. This is now an active news story that has the potential to affect RCL investors and that includes many who post on this and the Royal Boards. Unless someone is posting in violation of the rules I see no reason to remove this thread at this point. I haven't read the threads that have been removed so I'm not in a ;position to know.

You misunderstood me.  I see nothing wrong with this thread.  I'm just surprised that the moderators on the Royal boards obviously feel differently than the Celebrity moderators do.  Perhaps the Royal boards will allow another one  (if anyone posts one) now that, as you say, the family is talking to the media themselves. 

23 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Well that's certainly a very different account of what actually happened compared to the information in the first link. 

Assuming this account is correct, I'd be interested to know why a glass pane was removed from a child's play area making it possible to fall from the ship. 

There's a Daily Mail article that has lots of photos.  It makes it a little clearer that these were the standard sliding windows on the pool deck that every ship has.

ETA: the video above spells it out better.

Edited by bEwAbG

7 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

You misunderstood me.  I see nothing wrong with this thread.  I'm just surprised that the moderators on the Royal boards obviously feel differently than the Celebrity moderators do.  Perhaps the Royal boards will allow another one  (if anyone posts one) now that, as you say, the family is talking to the media themselves. 

My comments were not directed to your comment, but rather to many comments posted by others that for the sake of family privacy as well as other reasons that this thread be removed. While there may have been a justification to end this thread when they first made their comments, that justification has vanished with the public appearance of a family attorney and the possible impact of a suit that might impact RCL stockholders. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Mynki said:

This is just the lawyer setting things up for the lawsuit, apparently he has not been on the ship yet and doesn't know the windows are tinted blue.  

• Like 2

Just now, dkjretired said:

This is just the lawyer setting things up for the lawsuit, apparently he has not been on the ship yet and doesn't know the windows are tinted blue.  

I've just watched the video. I would have said the ship looks perfectly safe based on what I saw. I'm struggling to see where RCL could be at fault. I'm assuming the lower windows were not opened. I doubt they can be. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I can't say for sure why the threads on the Royal board were deleted, however they started to get quite nasty with people condemning the grandfather.  I see no reason to remove a thread as long as the discussion is civil and sticks to the facts.  However since the only facts we know at this point are a child has died and a family is mourning people tend to make assumptions.

1 hour ago, spammie said:

I would be shocked if it went anywhere since a) this type of window is on AT LEAST 2 of RCCL’s ship classes (Freedom and Radiance) and I have seen no other reports of anyone “falling” out of them; b) the windows are tinted so there is a clear difference between window and not; and c) the story the lawyer is spinning is that she “wanted to bang on the glass like at a hockey game” and the grandfather picked her up to allow it - when, as I have said, there is tinting on the windows so it should be obvious where there is glass and not glass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

I've just watched the video. I would have said the ship looks perfectly safe based on what I saw. I'm struggling to see where RCL could be at fault. I'm assuming the lower windows were not opened. I doubt they can be. 

I know you are in the UK and I don't know the situation of Civil Law suits but they have been outrageous and out of control in the US for decades. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

Correct. The lower windows do not open. And the glass is tinted so that it is obvious when a window is open (not to mention a breeze, even slight). 

I’m attaching a picture of Jewel of the Seas which has similar windows. The red arrow indicates the open window and the black the glass (darker on the left because the window is slid open). This was from across and above. It is even more obvious when you are next to it - I looked and don’t have any pics from that angle though.

7EFBA582-0EB8-4981-AEA7-C98D21884FB9.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I know you are in the UK and I don't know the situation of Civil Law suits but they have been outrageous and out of control in the US for decades. 

I would imagine most Brits are aware of the frivolous law suits that occur in the US. We don't have it anywhere near as bad here. When driving in the US and I see billboards sating "Mr Random Lawyer got me $1,000,000" I always wonder what happened and is that justified. 

I think many Brits would be saddened to see talk of lawsuits and particularly stock holders on such a tragic thread though. That's not me pointing the finger at anyone though. The situation is what it is. 

10 minutes ago, Mynki said:

I would imagine most Brits are aware of the frivolous law suits that occur in the US. We don't have it anywhere near as bad here. When driving in the US and I see billboards sating "Mr Random Lawyer got me $1,000,000" I always wonder what happened and is that justified. 

I think many Brits would be saddened to see talk of lawsuits and particularly stock holders on such a tragic thread though. That's not me pointing the finger at anyone though. The situation is what it is. 

Most lawsuits in the US are not frivolous.  Big companies, who want to pay as little as possible to victims, have lead the charge in claiming there are too many lawsuits.     

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Most lawsuits in the US are not frivolous.  Big companies, who want to pay as little as possible to victims, have lead the charge in claiming there are too many lawsuits.     

At this point in time no case has been filed. If a case is filed the Court, based on the law and facts will decide if the case is frivolous. People speculate, courts consider facts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I didn't use the word "most" and was replying to Don. But there are plenty of examples of frivolous lawsuits in the US reported here. 

The point I'm making is that we obviously have civil action lawsuits here. But not nearly on the same scale. 

But back on topic I'd let my 5 year old play on that ship as pictured every day of the week after looking at the pictures and the video. I'm not speculating or pointing the finger, just stating a fact. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mynki said:

I didn't use the word "most" and was replying to Don. But there are plenty of examples of frivolous lawsuits in the US reported here. 

The point I'm making is that we obviously have civil action lawsuits here. But not nearly on the same scale. 

But back on topic I'd let my child play on that ship as pictured every day of the week after looking at the pictures and the video. I'm not speculating or pointing the finger, just stating a fact. 

I'm not a lawyer and unlike many, I don't play one on the internet.

I don't know all the facts, so I'll reserve my expert legal - ish  opinion until after the real lawyers have hashed this out in the proper forum - the court system, not another internet forum.

Al Gore, ol' buddy, you created a monster!

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Correct. The lower windows do not open. And the glass is tinted so that it is obvious when a window is open (not to mention a breeze, even slight). 

I’m attaching a picture of Jewel of the Seas which has similar windows. The red arrow indicates the open window and the black the glass (darker on the left because the window is slid open). This was from across and above. It is even more obvious when you are next to it - I looked and don’t have any pics from that angle though.

Thank you, I was having a hard time visualizing the windows.  Such a terrible terrible tragedy, I cannot imagine the anguish and pain the family must be in right now.  😞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akcruz said:

I can't say for sure why the threads on the Royal board were deleted, however they started to get quite nasty with people condemning the grandfather. 

No matter the circumstances, villainizing that poor man is so wrong. I can't even begin to imagine the emotional pain the grandfather and family are going through over the loss of their baby. 

• Like 4