Horrible Story, What was he thinking?

dkjretired

2 hours ago, Mynki said:

I didn't use the word "most" and was replying to Don. But there are plenty of examples of frivolous lawsuits in the US reported here. 

The point I'm making is that we obviously have civil action lawsuits here. But not nearly on the same scale. 

But back on topic I'd let my 5 year old play on that ship as pictured every day of the week after looking at the pictures and the video. I'm not speculating or pointing the finger, just stating a fact. 

I didn't use the word most either....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mynki said:

I've just watched the video. I would have said the ship looks perfectly safe based on what I saw. I'm struggling to see where RCL could be at fault. I'm assuming the lower windows were not opened. I doubt they can be. 

• Like 2

Sounds like the grandfather placed his grand daughter on the railing so she could hit her hands against the window, like she did at her brother's hockey games... but there was no window. the lawyer blames the cruise line for having open windows near the H2O zone... "an area for kids". This whole thing is tragic.. but between the tinted glass and a likely breeze... I don't understand how someone would think that there is glass there. Perhaps passengers need to pass some kind of test before boarding. It appears to have happened before the muster drill... so none of the obvious warnings would have been given at this point, like not to sit on a railing. It is so sad... but I don't see how Royal is to blame. Without occasional windows (remember no air conditioning) along that deck... that area would get very hot. It is so sad... but for all the times I have been on similar decks in port... I just can't recall a time I didn't feel some breeze.... I just can not get over how very tragic this is.

• Like 2

I'm reminded of a story my mother told me that happened when my oldest brother was an infant.  My grandfather came to visit, and he saw that my mom had on the crib a popular toy at the time--an elastic band with little stuffed animals stretched across the crib.  He told my mom, "You take that off of there--he can pull that down and strangle himself with it."  My mother, 20 at the time, said, "Oh, I didn't think about that."  My grandfather replied, "It's your job as a parent to think about that." 

It was their job as parents and grandparents to think about that window, and sadly, they didn't.

• Like 1

As an attorney I was surprised that they had an attorney making statements so quickly. Normally there woukd be a bit of investigation first.  But then one of my partners pointed out that Puerto Rico authorities had been quoted as saying the grandfather was under investigation. My partner used to be a criminal defense attorney and said that under the circumstances here he might advise someone like the grandfather to hire a civil attorney too to try to make a strong argument that he was not at fault and thus even if the family had no interest in a civil lawsuit against Royal Caribbean this was a smart move from a criminal defense standpoint. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mynki said:

Well that's certainly a very different account of what actually happened compared to the information in the first link. 

Assuming this account is correct, I'd be interested to know why a glass pane was removed from a child's play area making it possible to fall from the ship. 

The windows are all along the sides of deck 11. You can see them in this video of the H2O Splashzone.

They would pose no threat to any child. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

Haven’t read thread....This topic was locked on the RCCL board after the first post, very surprised to see it still living here.

There was more than one post but the moderator deleted them and locked the thread. I found out more here than on the Royal thread. My son told me that the story was all over Facebook as well.

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

There was more than one post but the moderator deleted them and locked the thread. I found out more here than on the Royal thread. My son told me that the story was all over Facebook as well.

Do you know the kids game Telephone?  Since when is the information on Facebook or the gossip on CC the true, actual facts?

9 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

I wonder if the grandfather might have less than perfect vision.

I walked into a glass door a few weeks ago. I am overdue for a prescription update.

Check the video posted above. To me it’s really obvious which windows are open. Curious if you can tell the difference needing a new prescription. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mynki said:

I didn't use the word "most" and was replying to Don. But there are plenty of examples of frivolous lawsuits in the US reported here. 

Or the way they are reported makes them appear frivolous.

Plenty of cases of the media not telling their readers / viewers the full picture.  Virgin trains was recently criticised in the media for the way they dragged a woman with autism off a train from a toilet. The story made no mention of the circumstances.  In the complaint that Virgin subsequently issued it was revealed that the BBC failed to mention

(1) the woman had no history or knowledge of being on the Autistic spectrum until it was discovered after the incident 

(2) the reason why the woman was forcibly removed (by police) - she had jumped a ticket barrier at the station, boarded the train and locked herself in the toilet. She had no ticket. 

(3) she resisted arrest 

when i I sat as a magistrate I noted on several occasions cases I had heard reported in the local press.  On several occasion, if it wasn’t for the name of the defendants, I would struggle to recognise the case by the way it had been reported.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Check the video posted above. To me it’s really obvious which windows are open. Curious if you can tell the difference needing a new prescription. 

Agreed. I posted a picture above of Jewel of the Seas - the regular deck which shows similar windows. It is definitely very obvious when they are open and when they are not. Especially when you are right up to them. The opening is at AT LEAST waist height so no one is “accidentally” going overboard on their own.

• Like 1

It’s an awful misjudgement and we are simply posting in hindsight. People get distracted, away from familiar environments, possibly weary and jet lagged. Mistakes happen. Sadly this time with catastrophic consequences. I cannot imagine the family’s pain. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, opa&oma said:

Do you know the kids game Telephone?  Since when is the information on Facebook or the gossip on CC the true, actual facts?

I was also in the News so it did happen which is the main point. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

Sorry, but in my humble opinion, the moderators should lock this thread.  All in all, it was a tragedy that should have never have happened.  It turns out the grandfather is innocent, there was an open pane of glass in the children's play area.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Agreed. I posted a picture above of Jewel of the Seas - the regular deck which shows similar windows. It is definitely very obvious when they are open and when they are not. Especially when you are right up to them. The opening is at AT LEAST waist height so no one is “accidentally” going overboard on their own.

This is a picture released by the family's lawyer into the public domain where the incident happened. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48927911

rcl.jpg

Edited by Mynki

Banging on glass is not a good idea for anyone, anywhere unless you are trapped inside a burning building or in some other life-threatening situation.

Edited by TMLAalum
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Mynki said:

This is a picture released by the family's lawyer into the public domain where the incident happened. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48927911

rcl.jpg

It is still very obvious when there where glass is and is not.

But either way, there is no way that the “ledge” could be mistaken as a seat. (I have read that also - that he thought it was a seat.)

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It is still very obvious when there where glass is and is not.

But either way, there is no way that the “ledge” could be mistaken as a seat. (I have read that also - that he thought it was a seat.)

I'm certainly not going to disagree with you. 

• Like 2

The H2O zone on the ship is not child inclusive, as can be seen in the video clip.  Deck 11 port side is a designated smoking area, the windows are often opened by smokers. 

I think the lawyer is clutching at straws if he is using the H2O zone as an excuse for not having open windows allowed. There are no staff policing the windows.

• Like 4