Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dkjretired

Horrible Story, What was he thinking?

Recommended Posts

Now the family is suing Royal because there was a window in that area. Go figure. Pass the blame I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

CCTV covers just about every inch of the interior and exterior of the ship.  Have been told a number of times by security that no one can fall overboard without event being captured on camera.   Royal and law enforcement are undoubtedly reviewing video tape and they will see exactly what happened.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports today are that the whole family was sedated on the day it happened so were not interviewed immediately, hence the "under investigation" statements when the news first broke.  It actually was a good move to get a lawyer involved so he could get out in front of the initial narrative (that the grandfather was "dangling" the kid out of the window) to tamp down public outrage calling for his head.  If they file suit, they'll still be subject to discovery & all that entails.  The cruise line likely has footage of what happened, at least from some angles.  I doubt anything will change for future cruises.  There are lots of high places from which this could have happened, including any room with a balcony, and they're not about to weld the doors shut to keep people from going outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 5:20 AM, dkjretired said:

Grandfather held his 1 yr old Grandchild out a window on Royal Ship docked in PR.   Baby fell and died.

 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/indiana-toddler-allegedly-dangled-by-grandfather-dies-after-plunging-150-feet-from-cruise-ship-report

 

Why is this posted on Celebrity forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

 

Why is this posted on Celebrity forum?

 

That was explained in the first few posts, it is of general interest to cruisers and there is a long precedent of having threads like this involving other cruise lines on this and other boards.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

 

That was explained in the first few posts, it is of general interest to cruisers and there is a long precedent of having threads like this involving other cruise lines on this and other boards.  

 

Ok. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruise ships are far from Baby Proof or Idiot Proof. 

 

From all the How Could this have Happened News and Law Suit noise in these parts in my television world on this topic, lm of the opinion that  this could have been avoided if the caregivers were more vigilant about what this little one was doing. 

 

Again, ships are not Baby Proof. Does anyone in their right mind really think they are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree.  This was a terrible tragedy but to suggest all the windows on that deck will be welded closed or outfitted with bars is nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Unspeakable loss to the  family and none of them will ever get over the horror, let alone the grandfather.  But they are now pointing a finger at the cruise line in their grief and loss.  I can't even imagine trying to deal with this let alone acknowledge his part in this.  You don't put a toddler up on a ledge or bannister or wherever this little girl fell from, and just let her balance without hands on.  You don't put a child up to "bang on the glass" for fun, glass can break.   Even if this is thick glass - I can't imagine teaching your kids banging on any glass window is allowed.  

And yes I realize in  this instance the window was open where the child was placed.  Again, babies don't belong perched on a surface to balance or not.   Even falling in the other direction she could have cracked her head open.   

 

 

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt someone report this "window" is actually in the smoking area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jammu2 said:

Didnt someone report this "window" is actually in the smoking area?

I reported that, but the lawyer said the window was in the kids play area..............the lawyer said it, it must be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Jammu2 said:

Didnt someone report this "window" is actually in the smoking area?

 

Someone made it up.  Spreading fake news?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lawyer is just trying to set the narrative to sway public opinion.  It was on the pool deck, which does of course include a splash zone where children play.  That's in the middle of the deck, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

NReports today are that the whole family was sedated on the day it happened so were not interviewed immediately, hence the "under investigation" statements when the news first broke.  It actually was a good move to get a lawyer involved so he could get out in front of the initial narrative (that the grandfather was "dangling" the kid out of the window) to tamp down public outrage calling for his head.  If they file suit, they'll still be subject to discovery & all that entails.  The cruise line likely has footage of what happened, at least from some angles.  I doubt anything will change for future cruises.  There are lots of high places from which this could have happened, including any room with a balcony, and they're not about to weld the doors shut to keep people from going outside. 

Thank you. 

I lived through a family tragedy several times with my brother at age 18 and many years later a nephew at age 18. My feelings are that nothing will bring that loved one back.

Nothing we post or what happens in courts will make those close to the deceased feel better, have closure etc.

Nothing can do what that family wants— a redo.  Bring their baby back. Please bring our child back. 

That’s why I can only come up with no words and heartfelt prayers to those survivors. 

I happen to be a helicopter grandma. “Don’t lift him over your head” “ Oy watch him”. 

I don’t believe it’s an age issue.  It was a tragic issue.  I pray somehow this family heals and is graced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very tragic, indeed- but suing RCI- is that a proven fact? Unbeliebable- the responsibility it clearly in the direction of the family, who has to supervise a little one at all times! 

If any court sides with tragedly berieved parents/ grandparents there is something vey wrong with system of justice.

What has it to do wether or not it happend in a smoking area?

Edited by Germancruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just that is reported in our german papers too...! So this tragedy madeit into the  international press.

Edited by Germancruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Very tragic, indeed- but suing RCI- is that a proven fact? Unbeliebable- the responsibility it clearly in the direction of the family, who has to supervise a little one at all times! 
If any court sides with tragedly berieved parents/ grandparents there is something vey wrong with system of justice.
What has it to do wether or not it happend in a smoking area?
One of the smoking sections is on deck 11, so is the H20 area for kids, including those in diapers.

I think the unfortunate event happened in this area, by the H20 zone and the squeeze bar.

You can see the open windows and wooden bar that has been mentioned


b5ace514b456b11e48dc23859f462bdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got off Freedom of the Seas the day this incident happened.  From what I can tell, it looked like it happened right in front of the juice bar along the port side.  From my experience last week on Freedom, most if not all of the windows were open, not just in port but out at sea as well.  I am uploading pictures showing this while in port.  I also have a picture looking out a window, possibly the window in question.  All of these pictures were taken on July 4th while in port in Bonaire, 3 days prior to this accident.   

Close up highlighed.jpg

Side.jpg

window.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a deck plan of 11 on FoS.  The area where the yellow box is I believe where she fell from, one of the windows by the Juice bar (Squeeze).  The area more forward is the smoking section (as showen) and the area more aft is the non-smoking section (as shown), not even in the H20 zone.  Seating is all around though.  

deck 11.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for taking the effort to clear the matter of the location! I am sure it was nothing but a terrible, horrible,live changeing accident!  Granpa did not see that windwow was indeed open. That poor poor man- but suing RCI- again- not a very good idea! As hard and tragic it is- there is no way to shift the blame!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe a lawsuit has already been filed.  That was the lawyer talking tough & trying to make the corporation share the blame.  It's a public relations tactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I don't believe a lawsuit has already been filed.  That was the lawyer talking tough & trying to make the corporation share the blame.  It's a public relations tactic.

Agree. I believe that lawyer is attempting to put pressure on RCCL to come to the table and negotiate a settlement. Remember the attorney gets a piece of any settlement and possibly an enhanced reputation. This is not intended as a criticism as he's just doing what he was retained to do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orator said:

Agree. I believe that lawyer is attempting to put pressure on RCCL to come to the table and negotiate a settlement. Remember the attorney gets a piece of any settlement and possibly an enhanced reputation. This is not intended as a criticism as he's just doing what he was retained to do!

It worked for the George Smith family, and probably countless others.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the pictures of the windows where there are three in a row (top, middle and lower) it would seem to me that if the grandfather wanted the child to bang on the glass, the lower pane of glass would have been right at her level nearest the floor.  Most likely the child was being carried at the time and the grandfather was directly across from the window in question which is why he positioned her directly in front of the open window.  Such a dreadful result to a careless action.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

CCTV covers just about every inch of the interior and exterior of the ship.  Have been told a number of times by security that no one can fall overboard without event being captured on camera.   Royal and law enforcement are undoubtedly reviewing video tape and they will see exactly what happened.

 

 I imagine there are witnesses, too, that will come forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...