Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 28

Pictures taken between Monday, July 8 and Sunday, July 14.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

A few from the botanical garden:

This is a corpse flower. It should be blooming in the next few days.  Stinks like rotten meat and draws in all the local flies. It's about 6 ft tall.

EM10-7080381.thumb.jpg.509cc17cd44fdd73674e504c52274ca2.jpg

Just a reflection:

EM10-7080278-Edit.thumb.jpg.cde8bd077d721ceb84eda0d8aec133b9.jpg

EM10-7080092.jpg

EM10-7080212.jpg

A little dragonfly love:

EM10-7080357.jpg

EM10-7080364.jpg

Edited by pengu1n
add spaces
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pengu1n said:

Is this like a roller coaster for boats?! Thanks for sharing, I've never heard of that.

No, it's a way to get boats up the hill and over the waterfall - like a lock. The boats float into slings and then the car hauls them up/down the hill on a rail track

image.thumb.png.789894d29fa37841dcd09a1731970c2f.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marysb said:

No, it's a way to get boats up the hill and over the waterfall - like a lock. The boats float into slings and then the car hauls them up/down the hill on a rail track

image.thumb.png.789894d29fa37841dcd09a1731970c2f.png

I learned something new today. 😁 

Dave

Here's a better view of "The Big Chute Marine Railway"   with the carriage at the top.  The people stay in their boats for the ride.  In this photo, they are in a boat,  in a train, and over a road. 😆

image.png

My contribution for the weekly thread are a few phone pics from last night.

"Monty, I'll take door #3"  Monty Hall: 'Show us door #3...it's...A brand new car!":

FAC438E708464CFABB5FD34DF3248FFF.jpg

BDFBD3DE041D40B2B6079C921DD063FD.jpg

I just picked up my new car last night.  In eye-ball-searing Kurkuma Yellow...because I've had so many black and silver cars that I just needed a dose of color in my life (that's my black wagon parked next to it that I traded in).  Yay!  New car smell!

1 hour ago, zackiedawg said:

Yay!  New car smell!

I saved tons of money with one of these...

image.png.baea28a2cc4dc2458f0690d370a1f2bc.png

Still looks like a 13-year-old Kia SUV, though.

🙂

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2019 at 9:43 AM, marysb said:

Here's a better view of "The Big Chute Marine Railway"   with the carriage at the top.  The people stay in their boats for the ride.  In this photo, they are in a boat,  in a train, and over a road. 😆

image.png

Thanks for these, mary, I never knew about anything like this.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:44 AM, zackiedawg said:

My contribution for the weekly thread are a few phone pics from last night.

"Monty, I'll take door #3"  Monty Hall: 'Show us door #3...it's...A brand new car!":

FAC438E708464CFABB5FD34DF3248FFF.jpg

BDFBD3DE041D40B2B6079C921DD063FD.jpg

I just picked up my new car last night.  In eye-ball-searing Kurkuma Yellow...because I've had so many black and silver cars that I just needed a dose of color in my life (that's my black wagon parked next to it that I traded in).  Yay!  New car smell!

Congratulations, almost as exciting as a new camera (ha, ha!) Looks good, Justin!  As I drive down the road in my Sedona Sunset (orange) Tucson, passing hundreds of white/gray/black cars, I wonder how people ever find theirs in a parking lot!

I agree!  And thank you for the congrats.  I always see cars in different colors and think how nice that stands out - but it really becomes apparent in parking lots.  In dozens of rows of hundreds of cars, it's amazing how 95% of the lot is black/grey/silver/white...and the few cars in color mixed in stand out like light bulbs.  That's when I determined it was time to get something with color again - I had too many blacks and silvers lately and needed an infusion!

I tend to get dark blue cars, though there was a copper-brown-orange CR-V on the lot when I got my last one. It was used, and I wanted new since I'll drive it until it dies--I got 318K out of the last one.

My husband makes fun of me, but I almost always park in the same general area when I go places. Makes it easier to find my car on the way out.

Cookie was a rescue dog. She was rescued from our daughter's house when her sister (the dog's, not our other daughter) attacked her and put her in the hospital. We took her in so the grandkids could still have her in the family and see her regularly and of course we fell in love with the charismatic little beast. This week was her turn to rescue me. Work was grueling as we recover from internal IT issues and the kitchen project is back in full swing, eating up afternoon and weekend hours. Photography was forced so far down the list that I actually took no photos at all until late Sunday when Cookie jumped up into my weary lap and flopped into the crook of my arm. Photo-A-Week rescued!

Rescue Dog

p3512539445-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pierces said:

Cookie was a rescue dog. She was rescued from our daughter's house when her sister (the dog's, not our other daughter) attacked her and put her in the hospital. We took her in so the grandkids could still have her in the family and see her regularly and of course we fell in love with the charismatic little beast. This week was her turn to rescue me. Work was grueling as we recover from internal IT issues and the kitchen project is back in full swing, eating up afternoon and weekend hours. Photography was forced so far down the list that I actually took no photos at all until late Sunday when Cookie jumped up into my weary lap and flopped into the crook of my arm. Photo-A-Week rescued!

Rescue Dog

p3512539445-5.jpg

Dave

Great shot! IT's no fun! Tomorow is the day? A6700/7000?

19 minutes ago, tommui987 said:

Great shot! IT's no fun! Tomorow is the day? A6700/7000?

Tomorrow may be the Day. I didn't update the other thread since it could be an E-Mount video cam, or something completely off the wall like an $800 entry-level A5. Indications are that it is a high-performance E-mount camera, but only time or a good leak will tell.

Dave