Babies & Pools on Adventure of the Seas

12 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

If that is true why are they cruising Royal Caribbean which is a family friendly line?

No, it is more about people being rude and opinionated and feeling anonymous on the internet. 

I stand by my statement. It was not directed at the OP. It was directed at those who complain about kids on a cruise. Yes, Royal caters to families. You must have me mixed up with someone else. 

In my opinion. 

14 hours ago, James4me said:

Wow!  Such nasty responses😡.   Geez the OP only asked a legit question regarding her infant, no need to make them feel like 🤬

Can you please quote what responses you found to be nasty? All I see are stated facts.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

That's a shame, perhaps the new ships will all have these from now on, they should if they want to attract families. 

Years ago  after that  happened at White water, I read where a couple brought on one of those small blow up pools which they filled up at the shower on the pool deck and emptied it there after they were done.   Perhaps older ships should offer those for parents with smaller children.

I think that while they may put up with a blow up pool, I don't think they would promote them. Imagine the pool deck area with blow up pools all over it. I'm practically tripping half the time over all the chairs that are moved around.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I stand by my statement. It was not directed at the OP. It was directed at those who complain about kids on a cruise. Yes, Royal caters to families. You must have me mixed up with someone else. 

In my opinion. 

No I got what you were saying.  However, internet social media is full of people  posting hate of something. You decided here in this thread  they hate children,  where I got they hate children pooping in their diapers and getting in pools, which is normal and natural  until potty trained but unclean for  public pools. 

However elsewhere on social media  it could be  they hate Meghan Markle, Trump,  Clinton, Americans, Britons,  (insert any country here) or whatever else. Everywhere I go on social media somebody seem to strongly hate something or someone.  All I can say, if people hate that strongly as it seems on social media, then  it is no wonder we have all these shootings here in the USA.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion. everyone else is too. I just do not understand why people can't use a bit more tact when expressing their opinions. 

As far as people taking kids on cruises and people saying they should not bring them on cruises. Often it is because of a bad experience like we had on NCL Sky  about 10 years ago  of some bratty preteens un supervised throwing food from the buffet down the stairs outside the buffet, or some such issue they encountered. For example our neighbors on this cruise last week MSC Armonia,  had a baby that cried a lot. I did not  enjoy hearing it, who would?  but I had empathy for the baby. As much as that baby cried it was more than a temper tantrum.  I think he was ill. Maybe an earache from flying?  If I honestly thought they should not take their baby on a cruise, well it was me and my family who booked a cruise in July on a cruise line that cators to families. If that bothered me enough I would not cruise in summer and would also book another line like HAL. LOL the NCL Sky cruise was in July too! Thankfully on this cruise last week all pre teens and teens were all well behaved! anyway I would take a crying baby over bratty preteens any time!

So my opinion stands  also. Anyone who hates children should not pick a family friendly line to cruise and I honestly believe people just love to vent anger on social media becasue they feel anonymous. Why? because most would never dream of saying those things face to face.

7 minutes ago, Robo1098 said:

I think that while they may put up with a blow up pool, I don't think they would promote them. Imagine the pool deck area with blow up pools all over it. I'm practically tripping half the time over all the chairs that are moved around.

I guess it would depend upon how many babies were on the cruise. I am sure they would also have to limit it. Perhaps only have a  couple out at a time, and you would have to reserve them for say, an hour at a time?

3 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

No I got what you were saying.  However, internet social media is full of people  posting hate of something. You decided here in this thread  they hate children,  where I got they hate children pooping in their diapers and getting in pools, which is normal and natural  until potty trained but unclean for  public pools. 

However elsewhere on social media  it could be  they hate Meghan Markle, Trump,  Clinton, Americans, Britons,  (insert any country here) or whatever else. Everywhere I go on social media somebody seem to strongly hate something or someone.  All I can say, if people hate that strongly as it seems on social media, then  it is no wonder we have all these shootings here in the USA.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion. everyone else is too. I just do not understand why people can't use a bit more tact when expressing their opinions. 

As far as people taking kids on cruises and people saying they should not bring them on cruises. Often it is because of a bad experience like we had on NCL Sky  about 10 years ago  of some bratty preteens un supervised throwing food from the buffet down the stairs outside the buffet, or some such issue they encountered. For example our neighbors on this cruise last week MSC Armonia,  had a baby that cried a lot. I did not  enjoy hearing it, who would?  but I had empathy for the baby. As much as that baby cried it was more than a temper tantrum.  I think he was ill. Maybe an earache from flying?  If I honestly thought they should not take their baby on a cruise, well it was me and my family who booked a cruise in July on a cruise line that cators to families. If that bothered me enough I would not cruise in summer and would also book another line like HAL. LOL the NCL Sky cruise was in July too! Thankfully on this cruise last week all pre teens and teens were all well behaved! anyway I would take a crying baby over bratty preteens any time!

So my opinion stands  also. Anyone who hates children should not pick a family friendly line to cruise and I honestly believe people just love to vent anger on social media becasue they feel anonymous. Why? because most would never dream of saying those things face to face.

Ok. Now you really have me perplexed. Exactly where did I say anything about “hate or hating” anything or anyone. Big difference to me between hate and dislike. 

Blame it on Social Media I guess. 

In my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Personally,  I think we put a lot of faith in some parents feeling their toddlers are 100% potty trained. 😇

I doubt that have such faith. It's just "oh, it's vacation, they should be allowed to have fun!"

Of course, I had to deal with a pool last week, not on a cruise ship, where the parents decided to take their baby in naked, the baby pooped, everyone ELSE got out, and the parents stayed in until staff got there, threw them out, and banned them from the pool for the rest of their stay at this resort.

Not everyone is quite so entitled, of course - that is a definite extreme. There's definitely a hope of "they can hold it an hour, right?" with the somewhat older kids who are inconsistent that is really alluring to give in to when the kid really wants to swim, and the parent really wants the drink of the day on the deck while the kid swims. It's still not a good thing to give in to, but... I get it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, momofmeg said:

I guess it would depend upon how many babies were on the cruise. I am sure they would also have to limit it. Perhaps only have a  couple out at a time, and you would have to reserve them for say, an hour at a time?

Right.  How well is that going to work?  "Hello, Guest Services?  Why can't I get a baby pool like I see others? Oh, I'll have to wait?  I want some compensation for a ruined vacation!"  And how well does time limits work on lounge chairs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Was on the Adventure in May.  There is a tiny splash pad for babies with diapers.  I would say 4 kids and their parents would fit in the area at one time.

That said, the few times I saw no swim diapers enforced (may 3 times in 8 days) in the other areas (specifically by the kids slide), I watched parents just simply take the diaper off and put their childs bathing suit back on.  Then they would spend hours in there...  I saw this at least 20 times from multiple parents.  So take that information how you will.  I was not impressed.  And I have children, hence the reason I always had a chair right by the kids splash area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand how any adult can even consider putting their kids in a public or cruise ship pool when they aren't potty trained, recently trained,  and/or in diapers. I've been on several cruises where these supposid potty trained kids shi+ in the pool and the pool had to be emptied thus ruining  it for everyone else for at least half a sea day while it's cleaned and refilled. I have two kids that sail with us every cruise granted they are past that stage. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I don't understand how any adult can even consider putting their kids in a public or cruise ship pool when they aren't potty trained, recently trained,  and/or in diapers. I've been on several cruises where these supposid potty trained kids shi+ in the pool and the pool had to be emptied thus ruining  it for everyone else for at least half a sea day while it's cleaned and refilled. I have two kids that sail with us every cruise granted they are past that stage. 

Hey, it's their vacation, they can do as they want!😉

• Haha 3

We were on the Adventure in February with a one year old. The baby splash zone isn’t huge, but it has a sprinkler and a very small waterslide. It probably wouldn’t entertain a three year old for long, but she had a great time. 

Do bring swim diapers - they will not let kids in the baby splash zone without one. 

4 minutes ago, DadPerson said:

We were on the Adventure in February with a one year old. The baby splash zone isn’t huge, but it has a sprinkler and a very small waterslide. It probably wouldn’t entertain a three year old for long, but she had a great time. 

Do bring swim diapers - they will not let kids in the baby splash zone without one. 

Exactly correct.

They will not let a child into that pool without a swim diaper.  10 feet away is another pool were children cannot wear a swim diaper.

BTW if you ask, they will give you a swim diaper for free.

7 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

Was on the Adventure in May.  There is a tiny splash pad for babies with diapers.  I would say 4 kids and their parents would fit in the area at one time.

That said, the few times I saw no swim diapers enforced (may 3 times in 8 days) in the other areas (specifically by the kids slide), I watched parents just simply take the diaper off and put their childs bathing suit back on.  Then they would spend hours in there...  I saw this at least 20 times from multiple parents.  So take that information how you will.  I was not impressed.  And I have children, hence the reason I always had a chair right by the kids splash area.

Did you report this behavior? Trust me, if someone was doing this and putting my child’s health at risk, I’d be the one having a major meltdown at guest services if there was no pool attendant. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

No disputing what you witnessed, but there is a different theme.

My fully potty trained granddaughter had a difficult first day at the pool.  She tried both kids pools, but was intimidated by the much bigger kids in the non-diaper pool.  We then brought her to the swim diaper pool and we were told flat out NO, this pool is for swim diapers ONLY.  We went back and forth for an hour or so with the same answers.  Finally I told the attendant at the swim diaper pool she's going in whether you like it or not.  Call security if you wish.  She had a great hour of fun.  Then decided to try the big kids pool again, no go, they intimidated her on the slide.  Back to the smaller pool, again, she is not allowed in without a swim diaper.  FINALLY told you can get a free swim diaper at the station.  Happy again, until she tried using the other slide.  NO SWIM DIAPERS in this pool.  Off with the swim diaper, on with the bathing suit.

This went on for the rest of the week.  Swim suit on and off.

Easiest way to avoid this potential problem is to not let your child know there is a pool. There are TONS of other areas to hang out on board. They won't miss what they don't know exists. If they happen to notice as you walk by, say it's for adults and keep walking. I've cruised several times with diapered kids who loved pools, and never had an issue. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 9:20 PM, James4me said:

Wow!  Such nasty responses😡.   Geez the OP only asked a legit question regarding her infant, no need to make them feel like 🤬

I think you are getting something confused.

12 hours ago, momofmeg said:

That's a shame, perhaps the new ships will all have these from now on, they should if they want to attract families. 

Years ago  after that  happened at White water, I read where a couple brought on one of those small blow up pools which they filled up at the shower on the pool deck and emptied it there after they were done.   Perhaps older ships should offer those for parents with smaller children.

11 hours ago, momofmeg said:

Just another thing for Royal to deal with because they would have to probably be cleaned in between babies. If there isn't a kiddie splash area then the parents should bring a small blow up one themselves.

Edited by ReneeFLL

9 hours ago, steveru621 said:

No disputing what you witnessed, but there is a different theme.

My fully potty trained granddaughter had a difficult first day at the pool.  She tried both kids pools, but was intimidated by the much bigger kids in the non-diaper pool.  We then brought her to the swim diaper pool and we were told flat out NO, this pool is for swim diapers ONLY.  We went back and forth for an hour or so with the same answers.  Finally I told the attendant at the swim diaper pool she's going in whether you like it or not.  Call security if you wish.  She had a great hour of fun.  Then decided to try the big kids pool again, no go, they intimidated her on the slide.  Back to the smaller pool, again, she is not allowed in without a swim diaper.  FINALLY told you can get a free swim diaper at the station.  Happy again, until she tried using the other slide.  NO SWIM DIAPERS in this pool.  Off with the swim diaper, on with the bathing suit.

This went on for the rest of the week.  Swim suit on and off.

Your situation is definitely different.  I'm not looking for a debate.  Just letting the OP know what I witnessed on the ship so they know what to expect.  The children I witnessed were not your LO's age.  I witnessed parents taking diapers off children/babies under 2 and well under 2.  Children who couldn't walk or talk.  Children who were being fed baby food from a jar at their recliners...

For the poster who asked about going to guest services.  What's the point?  I spoke to the Adventure Ocean staff who were manning the slide, who saw all this and they just shrugged their shoulders (this was all happening at the bottom of the slide area - for those who know Adventure - there is a lip where parents like to sit with their feet in the water).  Why would I waste my vacation time with my children sitting at customer service when I'll get the same response?

OP I hope you have a wonderful cruise.  We took my youngest when they just turned 3 so they could go to Adventure Ocean but I am sure you will have a blast even without Adventure Ocean.  Our last cruise in May on Adventure because of the ships doctor (long drama story I won't get into on here) my kids could not use AO after the first 2 days and we still had a complete blast (once we got over the sadness and anger).

Happy Wednesday!

Wow! Thanks everyone for all your comments! I didn't mean to start any debates or fights LOL. It was simply a question. I am not going to take my child in the Pools where she is not allowed, I am not trying to Jeopardize anyone else's cruise, we follow the rules, even when other people don't.  We will deal with the Splash zone as I am sure she will love it.  We are looking forward to our cruise now in 16 days. 🙂 

• Like 4

On 7/8/2019 at 11:40 AM, cb at sea said:

Ship's pools aren't like land-based pools, and any fecal material in the pool (whether it's contained in a swim diaper or not) will contaminate the pool.

Um, land-based pools are contaminated by fecal matter too. 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:20 PM, James4me said:

I didn't see anyone respond with a nasty reply, just factual answers.  Just because you don't like a factual answer doesn't mean it's nasty.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, cruisenlove said:

Wow! Thanks everyone for all your comments! I didn't mean to start any debates or fights LOL. It was simply a question. I am not going to take my child in the Pools where she is not allowed, I am not trying to Jeopardize anyone else's cruise, we follow the rules, even when other people don't.  We will deal with the Splash zone as I am sure she will love it.  We are looking forward to our cruise now in 16 days. 🙂 

Looks like we are going on the same cruise! And from same area 🙂

You'll catch me at the splash pad too.  I tried to convince my son all summer to potty train to go in the pool onn the big boat..but he has no interest in doing it yet..so splash pad it is while his sister enjoys the bigger pool.  My Travel agent was surprised that they did not add a kids club or babysitting service for younger ones when they redid the ship. I'm a little bummed about it too...but next time.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:44 PM, momofmeg said:

They could have infant cabanas!  A new moneymaking scheme for the cruise line! :classic_biggrin: