Chacchoben?

SailorMan20

Look at Native Choice's tours and website. Should be way cheaper and smaller group than any cruise ship excursion.  Better guides too.

Comparisons to Tulum are somewhat apples vs oranges.  The attraction to Tulum is the vista.  A visit to Chacchoben via Native Choice is a learning experience on Mayan life.

https://thenativechoice.com/

We did the Mayan Experience excursion from Native Choice and it was completely awesome.  I was a bit leery since the description says you visit a native Mayan's home which sounded weird to me but it wasn't strange at all.  Amazing is more like it.

I had two 12-year-old boys with me who also thought the tour was fantastic.

The tour guide was very knowledgeable, the bus driver actually had a lot of botany experience even though he didn't speak a lot of English (so if you want to know what a plant is, ask the tour guide, who would ask the bus driver).  They use those smaller vans that fit maybe 12 people so the tour is about as personal as you can expect without paying $$$$.

Just... book it.

We did a tour to the ruins and Bacalar Lagoon through Native Choice Tours. I can't say enough about how professional they are. The van was comfortable and cool and out guide (Eder) was fantastic. He is so knowledgeable. He told us he took a course on the ruins and it showed. Group was small compared to the giant ship tours. The lagoon was beautiful and we had a great lunch and drinks-all included! 

Highly reccommend. 

• 3 weeks later...

bevkay, we're looking at that tour and Native Choice tour that just goes to Bacalar Lagoon but has a guided kayak tour and short hike as well as the lunch and drinks.  Would you have enjoyed just the Lagoon with the extended kayak tour and hike, or were the Ruins not to be missed??  Thank you