AIR TO SEA PROGRAM

If you use Royal Caribbeans Air package and would have to cancel before final payment do you also get that money back ?, or is it like most air tickets nonrefundable without paying a change fee?

How does their air packages work, have never used their air before but thinking it might make sense to use them for Alaska flights?

Just now, Jimbo said:

Thanks, I think that is what I'm looking for, something that doesn't have to be paid until final payment time, but still know we have flights secured if we do go.

You may have to use this link:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/plan-a-cruise/transportation

Then click Search for Flights, then Quick Flight Search Only.

The link I posted first does not seem to work unless you come in via Royal's main site, probably needs a session cookie deposited.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

have never used their air before but thinking it might make sense to use them for Alaska flights?

Because???    There are pros and cons to cruise air.  If you indicate why you hesitate to book air as you normally have, someone can do a better job of letting you know if/how cruise air would or wouldn't be a benefit.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If you use Royal Caribbeans Air package and would have to cancel before final payment do you also get that money back ?, or is it like most air tickets nonrefundable without paying a change fee?

How does their air packages work, have never used their air before but thinking it might make sense to use them for Alaska flights?

You're unlikely to see any price differences in domestic US or US-Canada flights, be them one-way, roundtrip, or multi-city/open jaws. So if pricing is your reason to want to use them, throw that one out. If you have another reason to use them, make sure you know if it's valid - for example, they make no true guarantees of holding ships or getting you to next ports.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks, I think that is what I'm looking for, something that doesn't have to be paid until final payment time, but still know we have flights secured if we do go.

It seems the down side to not paying up front is the inability to select seats. I know I cant chose my seats yet for our Allure TA in March.

A big plus to using Air2Sea is they refund everything if they cancel a sailing. 

I think/hope

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Air2Sea does have fares that are fully refundable.  There are also fares that don't have to be paid until cruise final payment.

Check it out here:  http://www.choiceair.com/

When I had to bail on Rhapsody TA in December, I did not have a refundable fare, but got a refund for all but the $200 change fee. 

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It seems the down side to not paying up front is the inability to select seats. I know I cant chose my seats yet for our Allure TA in March.

A big plus to using Air2Sea is they refund everything if they cancel a sailing. 

I think/hope

What airline?  We've always been able to choose seats, even when not paying up front.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

What airline?  We've always been able to choose seats, even when not paying up front.

American,  Barcelona to Miami. When I go to their site, it tells me to contact the ticket provider. 

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

American,  Barcelona to Miami. When I go to their site, it tells me to contact the ticket provider. 

Try calling Air2Sea and ask them to pay for your ticket so you can pick seats.  They have done this for us in the past, even when we had flights for which we had not paid in full.

EDITED TO ADD:

If Air2Sea has booked you in Basic Economy, then you might be out of luck for picking seats.

12 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Try calling Air2Sea and ask them to pay for your ticket so you can pick seats.  They have done this for us in the past, even when we had flights for which we had not paid in full.

EDITED TO ADD:

If Air2Sea has booked you in Basic Economy, then you might be out of luck for picking seats.

Business Class 😎

And thanks, will call today

Edited by John&LaLa

35 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

You're unlikely to see any price differences in domestic US or US-Canada flights, be them one-way, roundtrip, or multi-city/open jaws. 

Are their prices often generally better than booking directly with airlines for international flights? And would that also include for  business class? I did a quick sample search for what we would need but did not see a huge difference and, like OP, was a little confused about the pros and cons.

Just now, zooma said:

Are their prices often generally better than booking directly with airlines for international flights? And would that also include for  business class? I did a quick sample search for what we would need but did not see a huge difference and, like OP, was a little confused about the pros and cons.

My BC fare from Air2Sea is around $1200. Price on American website is over 5 grand

2 minutes ago, zooma said:

Are their prices often generally better than booking directly with airlines for international flights? And would that also include for  business class? ...

Yes, especially for one-way international flights.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Business Class 😎

And thanks, will call today

Barcelona has a really cool first class lounge which is also good for business class in airport free drinks and food

6 minutes ago, zooma said:

It would depend. On a one-way trip, yes, they will offer lower prices. Whether lower is better is up to you...they may come with restrictions that make them cheaper, but not "better", unless price is all you're looking at.

With a roundtrip, it's less likely to find savings versus going directly to the airline.

• Thanks 1

Just now, zooma said:

Wow! Guess I'd better look more closely!

I did have to get creative and fly into Miami instead of Orlando.  Saved $1,000 per ticket and got a direct flight.

Norwegian had a direct into Orlando for around $800, but that was only available from them. Not sure if Royal is using them anymore. 

Admittedly, I have not done any real research re Choice Air and using the Air2Sea option (which I will do once I seriously start looking at flights), but I feel like I've glimpsed various cautionary tales on these boards. Or maybe that's all in my head. Is there any major obvious downside to using this option that's good to know from the outset? TIA

Edited by zooma

5 minutes ago, zooma said:

Admittedly, I have not done any real research re Choice Air and using the Air2Sea option (which I will do once I seriously start looking at flights), but I feel like I've glimpsed various cautionary tales on these boards. Or maybe that's all in my head. Is there any major obvious downside to using this option that's good to know from the outset? TIA

The major downside is that we don't really know the fare rules of the tickets that Air2Sea purchases from the airlines.  Those tickets may not be easily changed to be on another airline, for example, if there is some sort of a problem,  the airlines may not accommodate you.  You may have to contact Air2Sea to make alternate arrangements.

Other little things may be different, such as you may or may not receive airline miles for those flights.  We have always received the airline miles for our ChoiceAir / Air2Sea flights, but that is not guaranteed.

56 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I did have to get creative and fly into Miami instead of Orlando.  Saved $1,000 per ticket and got a direct flight.

Norwegian had a direct into Orlando for around $800, but that was only available from them. Not sure if Royal is using them anymore. 

Air2Sea booked us on Norwegian Air, Copenhagen to Orlando this past June.