Favorite/Can't live without cruise accessory

Tree_skier

6 hours ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

One is my electronic tablet.

My Chromebook is not much bigger than your tablet probably and you've give me some good ideas.  On Oceania we get free internet but supposedly it's not great and, since it's free, it gets over used.  So thanks.

We switched to carry on only when we retired eight years ago.

The first big learning was how much 'stuff' we used to cart around that we really did not need.  The second learning for us was how much more enjoyable our travels have been since we pared it down to the basics.

Much to our initial surprise, there are very few things in our 'cannot cruise without' category. 

On 7/9/2019 at 8:46 PM, Katyoparty said:

My power bank for charging my devices if there isn't a plug handy and my mini flashlight that is always right next to my bed when I travel. Especially if you're in an inside and there is a power issue. 

Thanks for the flashlight idea. It will save my phone battery if I ever need to use it for an extended period. 

39 minutes ago, iancal said:

The first big learning was how much 'stuff' we used to cart around that we really did not need.  The second learning for us was how much more enjoyable our travels have been since we pared it down to the basics.

Much to our initial surprise, there are very few things in our 'cannot cruise without' category. 

If you remember 🙂 what are some of those things?

16 hours ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

One is my electronic tablet.  Before leaving home, I download apps, music, copies of documents, and books so that on the ship I can read, listen to my play list, fill the cabin with white noise, display a clock (easily seen across the cabin day and night), set an alarm (or two, or three), etc.

I do the same with my iphone. I create PDFs of notes, directions, tours, etc and load on my phone. Also have apps installed including maps and the Rick Steves Europe app (free walking tours). I no longer have to carry a large folder of paperwork. The only issue with the phone is reading for pleasure (i.e., books) - much more easily read on my ipad.

I bring a mini medicine bag with a few of just about any kind of over the counter pill we might need...antihistamine, anti diarrheal, Benadryl, laxative, pepto bismol tablets, mucinex, cough drops, etc.  It all fits into a small cosmetic bag.  I have used it a few times and been glad to have it handy.

2 hours ago, 808lady said:

I bring a mini medicine bag with a few of just about any kind of over the counter pill we might need...antihistamine, anti diarrheal, Benadryl, laxative, pepto bismol tablets, mucinex, cough drops, etc.  It all fits into a small cosmetic bag.  I have used it a few times and been glad to have it handy.

Yes, this is a great idea. We do the same and man it is nice to have when you need it. We've even helped a few of our fellow travelers over the years.

3 hours ago, 808lady said:

As I mentioned on another thread I call that our "what if" bag and it going on every intl. trip, cruise or other.

21 hours ago, iancal said:

Like...like...like.  Loved this post so much, I showed it to my wife.  I'm genuinely hoping that some day...hopefully sooner than later.....we can do the same thing.

Note: On our most recent cruise, I told my wife I have scaled down what I'm bringing and had a half empty luggage.  She said: "Oh, I can use that empty space".............and she did. 😢🙄😏

2 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

"Oh, I can use that empty space".............and she did.

And the reverse is true in our family.  And always has been, whether airplane, cruise or car.  My husband tends to carry far more than I do.  One of the things that helps us is that as soon as we get into our room (hotel or ship and even home) we change into what we laughingly call "lounge wear."  Not ready for prime time.  Some old clothes that we no longer wear 'out.'  What we've had on gets laid out to 'breathe' and can be worn again and again.

We got rid of lots of clothes, shoes, 'just in case things'multiple bathing suits, hair products/cosmetics.  We do pack small amounts of insect repellant (unmarked containers) and high spf sun block (fair skin, prone to sun stroke).

We take 2 pairs of shoes, that includes the ones on our feet.  We dress in layers and only buy clothes that are travel friendly.  One bathing suit.  We essentially pack for six or seven days even if we are traveling for 7 weeks.  We stopped doing formal nights years ago.  Not because of packing at first, because we no longer found it  particularly  enjoyable.  My spouse changed her hair style to facilitate travel  prior to starting  a post retirement seven month trip that included an African safari where baggage was restricted.  I had years of business travel so it seemed a little easier for me to adapt to this.

The very best decision was to buy international size carry ons and decide that was it.  If it fit inside, it traveled with us.  If not, it stayed home.  Each time we return home, as we unpack,  we review what we have not worn very much.  That gets dropped next time.  Sometimes replaced by another.

Keep in mind that we do this because of the way we travel.  We are as likely to stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel in London, Bangkok, or KL as we are in a family run hotel where we have to climb up to the second or third floor.  We are as likely to take a last minute Celebrity, HAL, or Princess Med cruise as we are to ferry hop in Greece, dragging our own bags on, off, and between local ferries.   Or going up and down in Italian rail station subways when the elevator is invariably out of order.  Or, lift our bags into a chartered Thai longtail boat to get from one small island to another. 

IF we were simply traveling from home to airport to hotel or cruise line with lots of services available we may not have made the decision to go carry on.  We would have stuck to our 26" rollers.  But physically this is too much for us given how and where we travel.

Edited by iancal

Instead of the giant clothespins (above), try the little plastic tabs from a loaf of bread.  They fit neatly over the skinny clothesline in the shower, are sturdy enough hold a towel on a beach chair, and don't take up any room in my luggage. Bonus: they don't get broken if I sit on the suitcase to squeeze it closed!  Use a little caution if hanging up delicate/snag-able items.

9 hours ago, George C said:

crocs

My 'fashionista' daughter, now 40, says crocs should only be worn for gardening.  I agree.  And, seriously :), why crocs rather than flip flops?

9 minutes ago, clo said:

My 'fashionista' daughter, now 40, says crocs should only be worn for gardening.  I agree.  And, seriously :), why crocs rather than flip flops?

I find crocs very comfortable, will wear them in pool, really do not care what is fashionable around pool , I am happy with tank top , bathing suit and crocs at pool on ship or in backyard . At night will follow dress code, remember decades ago going to a captains repeater party seat most people were dressed in formal gear and I had tank top ,that was before crocs. Vaguely remember being 40. Wife bought some very high end crocs that looked liked up scale sandals , in my size 15 my options are limited. 

I would love to see someone enter the dining room on formal night wearing a tank top speedos and flip flops.

Would make my cruise complete.

And if they got kicked out I would buy them a beer for the entertainment.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:40 AM, cruisin'mama said:

One thing I do as an over-planner, is to look at our excursions and figure out how much I plan to tip, assuming it's a good experience, and get envelopes for them.  I write on each envelope what the tour is, or who the person I'm tipping is, then put the money in the envelope. I put all my envelopes together in a ziploc and keep them in the safe.  When the time comes for a certain excursion, I just grab the envelope and I don't have to think about how much extra money I need to bring or if I have the right denomination of bills. It's all done already!  I know alot of people will think this is a little overboard, but it works for me!

I do this too, except I include all the money needed if the tour is not prepaid.  No scrambling around trying to find the right amount the day of the tour.  I also write any needed information about the tour, such as meeting time and place, on the envelope.  So, I might put day, name of tour company, time to meet, place to meet, contact info, total price of tour plus tip.

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I would love to see someone enter the dining room on formal night wearing a tank top speedos and flip flops.

Would make my cruise complete.

If the decline of dress codes continue, that would not surprise me

In 2015 I was on an RCI cruise.On formal night a guy came in the MDR wearing a tee shirt and shorts carrying a lap top.

We also saw a guy every evening including formal nights wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.We were close enough to hear conversations and neither guy was told to leave .In fact on the entire cruise I only saw one guy refused admission because he was wearing sandals.

On my very first cruise on a Cunard ship every evening was a mandatory dress up for dinner.

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Whereas I would applaud.  You know that there are land-based restaurants that have a minimum dress code.