Ship departs Port without Parents, What Happens to Child on-board!?

StormTight

3 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

yes but it always seemd a bit too inclusive and forced fun. My two kids are 4 years apart and wouldnt have been put together, but when they were little my 4 year old would rip ino my 8 year old lke they were the same size. And wouldnt have been separated.

Of course some parents have a different view of how much fun their kids were having when it was the parents decision to out them in a kids club, than maybe their kids really thought.

Just saying.

I’ve never made my kids go to tune clubs, as a matter of fact, none went to the tween club more than once. However, even then, they would go to pick up games at the sports deck, ping pong or pool table - very social - plus since they are close in age (currently 16 - 22, and there are 5 of them) they had built in friends to hang with instead of laying in the sun with mom and dad (not fun). I don’t think it’s unusual for kids to want to hang out with other kids and get away from the parents for a bit, just like at home.

I am finding this whole thing super amusing... The original question makes sense, the poster did say what the reasons for this are and yet now there are some heavy statements being made.

Yes, when we sign up for parenthood we know that our lives will not be the same.  However, we do not die for the next 18+ years.  Nor do we give up our own identities.  Nor do we expect our kids to.  And not everyone can be a one income family.  And not everyone has a partner - sometimes for reasons entirely outside of our control.  I think this type of discussion is the reason why i do very little posting around here....   People are too righteous and its funny - cause I know exactly what happens when life decides to change it up for ya.

~ A single full time employed parent of two kids.  One of them wants nothing to do with organized activities, sunshine, or tourism, while the other one LOVES the kids club. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ZandZ said:

I am finding this whole thing super amusing... The original question makes sense, the poster did say what the reasons for this are and yet now there are some heavy statements being made.

Yes, when we sign up for parenthood we know that our lives will not be the same.  However, we do not die for the next 18+ years.  Nor do we give up our own identities.  Nor do we expect our kids to.  And not everyone can be a one income family.  And not everyone has a partner - sometimes for reasons entirely outside of our control.  I think this type of discussion is the reason why i do very little posting around here....   People are too righteous and its funny - cause I know exactly what happens when life decides to change it up for ya.

~ A single full time employed parent of two kids.  One of them wants nothing to do with organized activities, sunshine, or tourism, while the other one LOVES the kids club. 

Well said.  Forget the DarrenM & Clo comments.  Just keep on being a single parent that loves & cares about their kids and would never even think of making the type of comments they have made on this post!  

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, StormTight said:

Okay ... we've all chuckled, laughed, and made comments about those late-comers at a port that just missed getting on-board ... and ship is seen leaving without them.

My question is ... does anyone have first-hand knowledge of how the cruise line handles a (their) child that was on-board, such as, left in the child's "day-camp" while the parents were off ship?

Please, not looking for snide remarks about the parents "failure", as my question could encompass many other unusual circumstances ... just a real parents' worst nightmare ... just wondering if anyone has first-hand knowledge of the facts of what / how the cruise line handles that child!

Thanks!

Its been awhile since I came here to this one, nothing has changed, I forgot how entertaining the internet forums are.

popcorn.JPG

Anyone seriously have a real story, I'll venture, the parents are frantic, the kids depending on age and disposition somewhere between so cool ( got a ship guardian maybe hang in cabin or go with guardian to someplace else etc. etc. )  to total melt down.  

Cruise ship has probably identified on every ship for such a situation; medical, or otherwise and they baby sit and family gets an crazy bill that makes the drink package look cheap and a lesson learned about many things, LOL

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

you want to borrow my basement?

i got a balcony - they stay out there when im at work. 

5 minutes ago, StormTight said:

Well said.  Forget the DarrenM & Clo comments.  Just keep on being a single parent that loves & cares about their kids and would never even think of making the type of comments they have made on this post!  

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarrenM said:

Ah your a Balcony type. Nice one.

Dont have one so its the basement for mine.

yup.  that way the dog is also out there so if im out on a date and decide to stay out all night, they all got a place to pee. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Of course some parents have a different view of how much fun their kids were having when it was the parents decision to out them in a kids club, than maybe their kids really thought.

Just saying.

When he was 3yo, my kid wasn't interested.  No problem, he stayed with us.  

When he was 4yo, he BEGGED to go.  Very social kid, loved the toys, loved the video games, loved the artsncrafts (inside joke... from a young age he thought "arts and crafts" was all one word because he always heard it as a whole phrase, and it's been called that ever since in our family), loved the pajama party and movie after dinner, all of it.    

Just because YOUR kid might not enjoy it, doesn't mean that NO kids will enjoy it.  To deny a child an enjoyable activity seems downright mean and Scrooge-like.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Its been awhile since I came here to this one, nothing has changed, I forgot how entertaining the internet forums are.

popcorn.JPG

Anyone seriously have a real story, I'll venture, the parents are frantic, the kids depending on age and disposition somewhere between so cool ( got a ship guardian maybe hang in cabin or go with guardian to someplace else etc. etc. )  to total melt down.  

Cruise ship has probably identified on every ship for such a situation; medical, or otherwise and they baby sit and family gets an crazy bill that makes the drink package look cheap and a lesson learned about many things, LOL

Yep!  You're funny!  As we say in Texas ... you should be on the stage ... it just left town 10 minutes ago!  And as  you quote: "LOL"

Edited by StormTight
grammatical clarification in my reply

19 hours ago, brillohead said:

Ever try to phone a movie theater?  The only number in the phone book (yes, I'm old enough to remember when those existed, too) was the recording that gave the movie times -- there was no way to call and have them go find someone.  Lots of other situations like that, too, even in this day and age of cell phones (wanna piss off a judge?  keep your cell phone turned on in court!).  

In 1988, I was working the Monsters of Rock Tour at RFK Stadium in DC.  Between the Scorpions and Van Halen, a Virginia State Trooper came onto the stage and was handed a microphone.  He said "John Smith (I don't recall the guys name) they have a kidney for you.  I repeat, John Smith, they have a kidney for you.  Come to gate # whatever immediately, there is a State Trooper waiting to take you to the hospital for your transplant."   One of my coworkers saw the guy meet the Troopers, say a quick goodbye to the friends he was with, and get whisked away for his transplant.

It's the only time ever in working over 1000 concerts that I've seen someone paged.  Ever.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

When he was 3yo, my kid wasn't interested.  No problem, he stayed with us.  

When he was 4yo, he BEGGED to go.  Very social kid, loved the toys, loved the video games, loved the artsncrafts (inside joke... from a young age he thought "arts and crafts" was all one word because he always heard it as a whole phrase, and it's been called that ever since in our family), loved the pajama party and movie after dinner, all of it.    

Just because YOUR kid might not enjoy it, doesn't mean that NO kids will enjoy it.  To deny a child an enjoyable activity seems downright mean and Scrooge-like.  

To he fair this thread wasn't really about kids clubs was it. It was more about folk who dumped their kids in one all day whilst they went off to new place to visit. And got stranded ashore.

Probably because it broke their hearts to have to go and see their kids again. And left it as late as possible.

😁

• Like 1

And the thought of leaving my kids all day on a video games machine is not something I would have wanted either. 

Hence why we always chose holidays carefully. Somewhere hot for the wife to sun bathe.

With a huge pool for me and the lads to do some top bombing.

A pitch and putt golf course. As soccer field. Etc

All outdoor stuff that I did with them for years.

And we used to get other kids joining in too especially the soccer. (I hate that word  - soccer)

But we never got the pens and crayons out. That was too much like school.

• Like 1

I loved florence when I visited last month. But would have hated to take young kids there.

"Look lads another church, let's go and explore the tenth one today"

So leaving them on board was never an option. Especially as our driver from the port to florence was an absolute nutcase on the road and we were all terrified.

Imagine if we had crashed?

Edited by DarrenM

On 7/10/2019 at 5:31 AM, Schoifmom said:

I cannot believe how a simple question can turn into an all-out battle regarding parenting styles!!!

I believed it!  That's why I started reading this thread.  I figured it would go good with my popcorn. 🍿🍿🍿

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

All outdoor stuff that I did with them for years.

This!  Our daughter and her family (3 and 7 y.o.'s) are currently rafting and camping on a river in Oregon.  No video games and finite tv