Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

Pauser

This is beyond sad but hello shouldn’t grandpa be able to tell the difference in glass and open air. This is how it goes these days, dont watch the kids and blame someone else. Before long people will have to sign wavers that they will not hold the cruise line responsible for what parents should be doing.

again it is awful this poor child died, i get that. 

• Like 12

Horrible story.  I could not even begin to imagine the grief.

I don't understand exactly what happened and have not seen the railing or open window.  But I don't understand the weak analogy of the lawyer comparing a cruise ship with a hockey arena and admitting the baby was placed in a dangerous place claiming a visual that is not there.  Its just not logical.    I thought the other car had a stop sign (but its not there).

• Like 1

This is the area on deck 11 (it's a kids pool/splash zone). At 2:22 you can see the open windows. Pretty easy to see that some are glass and some are not, but still a tragedy no matter who/what was at fault!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

This is beyond sad but hello shouldn’t grandpa be able to tell the difference in glass and open air. This is how it goes these days, dont watch the kids and blame someone else. Before long people will have to sign wavers that they will not hold the cruise line responsible for what parents should be doing.

again it is awful this poor child died, i get that. 

Please don't make assumptions, we weren't there and really have no idea what happened.  According to the news the whole family has had to sedated so not sure you're going to get a accurate accounting of what actually happened.  Of course they're looking to blame someone their baby died.  I think you should wait before making judgement.

• Like 3

This is a devastating story and I do grieve for the family for any loss, no matter the reason.  But, we as humans, need to take some measure of responsibility for our own personal actions.  Just because this is what they do at home, does NOT mean you can do the same in a strange place.  As safe as cruise ships are regarding the safety measures which have been put into place, we are still responsibility for "assuming" that no matter what we do, we ensuring the safety of the children.  Last year, we took the grandchildren on a cruise and they totally enjoyed it, but we still took personal responsibility on what they did and when they did it.  They were not allowed in the pool or on the water slides without adult supervision.  Cruise ships, schools, etc are not substitute babysitting facilities.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

That is still a fairly high railing even if all of them have glass backing.  No place for a child to sit even if held on the railing.  A railing is NOT a seat. Why not find a chair or something.  An adult sitting there would be so inappropriate even with the glass backing.  Its a cruise ship railing.

• Like 16

ON the news today the mother was complaining that it was the cruise liens fault since there were no warning signs.  Seriously?  A warning sign that  saying "do not put your infant on a ledge 150' above a concrete pier'...  Of course some sleaze ball lawyer will take the case to try to put money hie pocket off of someone else's misery. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

Please don't make assumptions, we weren't there and really have no idea what happened.  According to the news the whole family has had to sedated so not sure you're going to get a accurate accounting of what actually happened.  Of course they're looking to blame someone their baby died.  I think you should wait before making judgement.

That is one of the biggest problems with society today.  Always looking to blame someone else for your own stupidity.  All they have to do is have grandpa look in a mirror.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

ON the news today the mother was complaining that it was the cruise liens fault since there were no warning signs.  Seriously?  A warning sign that  saying "do not put your infant on a ledge 150' above a concrete pier'...  Of course some sleaze ball lawyer will take the case to try to put money hie pocket off of someone else's misery. 

Was the mother actually interviewed on the news this morning?! Complaining?!

What I don't understand is while they are grieving the death of their child, the first thing they do, probably before they bury her, is to call an attorney. Just shows what our society has come to:  blame someone else and try to make money.  Sad.

May the little girl RIP.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruisingator2 said:

Well the glass is not clear. It has a green tint to it. He had to have seen the difference. What happened to this child is very sad but the attorneys are now involved so it will become a media circus. 

Do you really think he decided to throw his granddaughter out the window? I do not think RCCL is responsible, I think it was a horrible accident, I think attorneys got themselves involved, the immediate family is grieving in a medical coma, and lawyers attach themselves to any available family members. I have nothing but compassion for every member of this family.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

What I don't understand is while they are grieving the death of their child, the first thing they do, probably before they bury her, is to call an attorney. Just shows what our society has come to:  blame someone else and try to make money.  Sad.

May the little girl RIP.

Do you think they called an attorney?!

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Do you really think he decided to throw his granddaughter out the window? I do not think RCCL is responsible, I think it was a horrible accident, I think attorneys got themselves involved, the immediate family is grieving in a medical coma, and lawyers attach themselves to any available family members. I have nothing but compassion for every member of this family.

Where did I say that he did this on purpose? Pull your claws back in and follow someone else. I stated that it was a sad situation.

• Like 6

They have hired an attorney and CNN has picked up the story.  Per the article, they were by the water park.  I am not familary with the deck layout of the ship, but still cannot believe that a person would not see an open window, let alone let some sit on a railing.

There are windows that open on the older ships. But all the glass is tinted blue. You can tell the difference between an open and closed window. And a 1 year old cannot climb up to the window level. SOMEONE put her either on the ledge or hand rail. It is sad that the family is trying to buy away their grief and refuse to accept responsibility. I guess RCCL has to get rid of all the balconies???

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Do you think they called an attorney?!

Here is what the article said and on a tv interview, the attorney said he was their lawyer.

Chloe Wiegand, the daughter of Alan and Kimberly Wiegand, of Granger, Ind., was in a clear-glass, enclosed children's play space aboard Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas with her maternal grandfather, Salvatore Aiello, in the moments leading up to her death, her family's lawyer, Michael Winkleman, told NBC News.

I'm guessing that they didn't already have a maritime attorney.

BTW, on some of the Celebrity ships, they have these kind of windows.  Someone would have to be blind if they didn't notice it was open.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1