Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

Pauser

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

All it takes is a few who post all day every day like rabid Tasmanian devils to really turn you off the forum, but there really ARE cool folks there! 

I just put the Negative Nellies on my "ignore user" list and it makes my experience much more enjoyable!  

To be honest, reading the RCI boards is one of the reasons I haven’t sailed with them yet! Some, not all, seem to be a little bit less nice than I like.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NayRN said:

To be honest, reading the RCI boards is one of the reasons I haven’t sailed with them yet! Some, not all, seem to be a little bit less nice than I like.

I'll be Diamond with Royal at the end of this month (my first cruise with them was 2013), and I've honestly never met any of the Negative Nellie types on any of my cruises.  I've been on big ships and small ones, and the vast majority of people are just normal people out having a fun vacation.  

You still get the occasional rude person cutting in line or whatever, but you'll get that anywhere in life.  Most people are just ordinary folks.  I've met people who have become friends in real life, and I'm going to my second cruise-friend wedding next month on Coco Cay (one of Royal's private islands).  I have another couple of cruise-friends who joined me on a second cruise last year and then I joined them on a third cruise in March and a fourth upcoming in November.  

If the cruises themselves had the same vibe as the forum here, I wouldn't be such a fan.  I'm a social butterfly, and a snobby, stuck-up, grumpy environment is not one that I would enjoy at all.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'll be Diamond with Royal at the end of this month (my first cruise with them was 2013), and I've honestly never met any of the Negative Nellie types on any of my cruises.  I've been on big ships and small ones, and the vast majority of people are just normal people out having a fun vacation.  

You still get the occasional rude person cutting in line or whatever, but you'll get that anywhere in life.  Most people are just ordinary folks.  I've met people who have become friends in real life, and I'm going to my second cruise-friend wedding next month on Coco Cay (one of Royal's private islands).  I have another couple of cruise-friends who joined me on a second cruise last year and then I joined them on a third cruise in March and a fourth upcoming in November.  

If the cruises themselves had the same vibe as the forum here, I wouldn't be such a fan.  I'm a social butterfly, and a snobby, stuck-up, grumpy environment is not one that I would enjoy at all.

Thanks for this!! I guess it’s really true that people are more outspoken behind the anonymity of a keyboard!!

1 hour ago, NayRN said:

Thanks for this!! I guess it’s really true that people are more outspoken behind the anonymity of a keyboard!!

Oh, it's TOTALLY true! 

I think Royal and NCL are probably much more alike than they are different these days, as far as demographics.  

(even more off topic, I'm an RN too!)

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Oh, it's TOTALLY true! 

I think Royal and NCL are probably much more alike than they are different these days, as far as demographics.  

(even more off topic, I'm an RN too!)

I was ICU...got too burned-out so I transferred to education...perfect position to hold me until retirement! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jaja said:

It is curious that there has been no updates of this.  

Not really.... the cruise line doesn't want to bring up "negative publicity" by bringing it up, and the family doesn't want to bring it up because they know they will be found to be in the wrong with all their claims of negligence against the cruise line, should anyone publicize the actual facts of the situation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Not really.... the cruise line doesn't want to bring up "negative publicity" by bringing it up, and the family doesn't want to bring it up because they know they will be found to be in the wrong with all their claims of negligence against the cruise line, should anyone publicize the actual facts of the situation.

and if the matter was settled out of court, they will be no public updates 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I agree !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

No matter what happened, it was out of the news a few days after the incident, I doubt it will return.

Hopefully the family has given up on going around to the morning news shows to plead their case to the public.... 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Hopefully the family has given up on going around to the morning news shows to plead their case to the public.... 

Did they do more than one? I honestly saw only a couple of different news articles (and then just repeats). Even google does find much.

Today multiple local media outlets in PR are reporting that the Justice Dept will be filing charges on Aug 28th but their sources did not specify the chargesor indicate who would be charged.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/departamentodejusticiaradicaracargosencasodeinfantequecayodeuncrucero-2512298/

https://www.elvocero.com/ley-y-orden/radicar-n-cargos-en-caso-de-beb-que-cay-de/article_e07c9c02-c053-11e9-abd5-4738827cecf8.html

• Like 1

Oh, wow! I’m guessing it will be Grandpa getting charged? 

I’ve wondered if the reason the family is now “radio silence “ on suing the cruise line is because their lawyer finally watched the video tape footage, and realized that he wouldn’t have a case.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nextcruiseis said:

Today multiple local media outlets in PR are reporting that the Justice Dept will be filing charges on Aug 28th but their sources did not specify the chargesor indicate who would be charged.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/locales/nota/departamentodejusticiaradicaracargosencasodeinfantequecayodeuncrucero-2512298/

https://www.elvocero.com/ley-y-orden/radicar-n-cargos-en-caso-de-beb-que-cay-de/article_e07c9c02-c053-11e9-abd5-4738827cecf8.html

Thanks for posting these.  

People commenting on the bottom of the article talk about what was seen by the cameras at the dock.  If what they say is true then I'm all for grandfather being charged, but I'm shocked there is video out there.  Or maybe I'm naive. 

1 hour ago, Jasonmom said:

If what they say is true then I'm all for grandfather being charged, but I'm shocked there is video out there.  Or maybe I'm naive. 

There are probably videos for inside and for outside. What the videos show is unknown. Who has seen the videos is unknown. If the videos will be presented in court is unknown. If the general public will ever see the videos is unknown...but is unlikely.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:16 AM, graphicguy said:

@brillohead.....welcome to the NCL boards.  Appreciate your insight.

I will agree that that some (not all) of the Royal folks can get contentious.  Recently I was told I had “no class” over there because I refuse to dress in formal wear on Royal’s designated night for pictures to be taken.  I considered the source and refuse to respond to the name calling.

Some of the Royal posters have come over here in the past to denigrate NCL cruisers (me included).  To me, it sounded more like some sort of Royal gorilla marketing techniques as it became pretty vehement.

Not sure why that is, but it seems anything negative (like the topic of this thread) regarding Royal isn’t allowed over there.

I’ve sailed more NCL than I have Royal.  But, I have sailed Royal quite a bit, too.

If it’s not marketing attempts on what is probably the biggest cruise forum site on the internet, then some people over there are just not the sort I’d want to hang out with on a cruise.  They just don’t seem to be a very happy lot.

Regarding this thread, I believe we’ve looked at it from every angle.  I don’t think there’s much doubt regarding who’s at fault (GrandPa).  The lawyers can try to spin it...trying to make a buck off Royal.  But, unless they have footage of GrandPa slipping on an errant banana peel and losing his grip on the baby, he’s the culprit.  Was it an accident?  I’m 100% certain he didn’t do it on purpose.  But, at the end of the day, the child is dead because of his extremely poor judgement.

Don’t be a stranger.  I love hearing from people who sail other lines.

Do you mean the Royal crowd is something like this on formal nights?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

There are probably videos for inside and for outside. What the videos show is unknown. Who has seen the videos is unknown. If the videos will be presented in court is unknown. If the general public will ever see the videos is unknown...but is unlikely.

Yea that is what I would have thought, but people talking made it sound like they had already watched the video.  But I hope that is wrong because they made it sound like grandpa was almost holding baby Chloe outside window.  I got to believe it was more of accident than that.

8 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

Yea that is what I would have thought, but people talking made it sound like they had already watched the video.  But I hope that is wrong because they made it sound like grandpa was almost holding baby Chloe outside window.  I got to believe it was more of accident than that.

When they first reported this incident, that's what they announced - the grandfather was holding his granddaughter out of the window, and she slipped out of his hands and fell to her death on the concrete pier. As soon as an attorney got involved, the story was changed to her being lifted up to bang on the window, the grandfather not realizing there was no glass there, and she fell to her death. But it sounds like that might be what happened - he held her out the window. 

• Like 1