Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

Pauser

37 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We seem to recall that the San Juan authorities were going to make a statement today (August 24th) about possible charges being filed in this case.  Has anything been announced? 

i thought it was aug 28, no?

• 2 weeks later...

If indeed there will never be an official/media  update, I will be disappointed. Surprised it has not been in local family paper or PR paper and then picked up up other sources. 

Edited by jaja

1 hour ago, jaja said:

If indeed there will never be an official/media  update, I will be disappointed. Surprised it has not been in local family paper or PR paper and then picked up up other sources. 

As a resident of ny metro NJ, I never find out what happened to 99% of the horrible local news I get every day, I assumed I’d never hear what happened in this case.

If the grandfather was not the grandfather, but instead, a child care worker, or a nanny, he would be getting the **** sued out of him for negligence.  We all feel bad for the family but it was an accident caused by STUPIDITY! Call it for what it is.  Its not the cruise line's fault.  People have to have some semblance of intelligence and responsibility.  The lawyer should sue the grandfather, not the cruise line.  They are just looking for money.  Sorry state of affairs.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, cue881 said:

If the grandfather was not the grandfather, but instead, a child care worker, or a nanny, he would be getting the **** sued out of him for negligence.  We all feel bad for the family but it was an accident caused by STUPIDITY! Call it for what it is.  Its not the cruise line's fault.  People have to have some semblance of intelligence and responsibility.  The lawyer should sue the grandfather, not the cruise line.  They are just looking for money.  Sorry state of affairs.

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s RCL’s fault, what folks are waiting to hear is if SJ is pressing criminal charges against the grandfather.

• Like 1

Wanted to add:

Case in point:

Anyone hear the "press" presenting RCCL's side of the story when this happened? Ever see any media outlet do any real investigation and blame the family vs the cruise line? Nope, they all ran with the crying family interview and their lawyer's statements. 😞

9 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Wanted to add:

Case in point:

Anyone hear the "press" presenting RCCL's side of the story when this happened? Ever see any media outlet do any real investigation and blame the family vs the cruise line? Nope, they all ran with the crying family interview and their lawyer's statements. 😞

Yes---you are  right..--and this is why I want to see what the outcome was !!!   Also,  If RCCL "settled" with the family , would be interesting to know., as surely it will effect the entire cruise industry .

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Wanted to add:

Case in point:

I suspect RCCL would decline to speak to the press, although if approached it should be reported that RCCL declined to comment.

Crying families and blaming the cruiseline sells. Think of those attention-grabbing headlines on the tabloids! And as far as investigative reporting on this story, it's just the one case. Now if there was a pattern of toddlers falling out of open windows on cruise ships......

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Finally, I guess I am really saying that we have the worst press/media in the history of the world at the present time and they aren't worth paying attention to 90% of the time.

I concur (it is really really really hard trying to obtain facts on any "news" these days)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Wanted to add:

Case in point:

This story was in the news for 5 minutes. There were a couple of short articles being released right after it happened, then the interview, then nothing. Grandfather accidentally drops toddler off of the side of a ship. Nothing to investigate, only the family said the cruise line was to blame, and their lawyer. No new here.

I reached out to two reporters that had articles on this in the days right after. I asked both if they had heard anything regarding the hearing that was reported for Aug. 28th. I haven't heard a peep from either.

I just tweeted "Are any of the major news outlets that reported on the original story going to follow up on the Chloe Wiegand story?" I tagged Washington Post, Hannah Knowles, Janine Puhak, the Associated Press and NBC News

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

This story was in the news for 5 minutes. There were a couple of short articles being released right after it happened, then the interview, then nothing. Grandfather accidentally drops toddler off of the side of a ship. Nothing to investigate, only the family said the cruise line was to blame, and their lawyer. No new here.

There was information out there stating that a decision on whether the Puerto Rico authorities would file any charges would be made by august 28.  So some of us following the story are interested to see if any decision was made.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Newleno said:

There was information out there stating that a decision on whether the Puerto Rico authorities would file any charges would be made by august 28.  So some of us following the story are interested to see if any decision was made.

Yes, I know, and I’m interested in the outcome. My point was that I do not believe this incident is going to hurt RCL’s reputation or cause people not to cruise, because it’s such a small story.

1 hour ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

If the ship itself presented and unsafe condition then this would not have been the first time it happened.  I think the whole lawsuit issue is to draw attention away from the grandfather who did something really stupid and caused this tragedy.

Exactly.  In addition the grandfather allegedly made spontaneous statements to police and rescue people on the scene that wants to retract and blame the ship's design.

I get it though.  The family cannot live or have peace unless there is a cause to their pain.  I cannot even imagine their grief.

Edited by david_sobe

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Mariner of the Seas this past week, which has the exact same window design as Freedom of the Seas.  Here are some pics, for those who aren't familiar with the design of Royal Caribbean ships -- if anyone thinks you "couldn't tell" if the window was open or closed, then bless your heart...

Sol3.thumb.jpg.cbdc34c6b0a82ec94e0c3b4204b2b5fc.jpgSol2.jpg.78265fec58c0635769b665349182d50c.jpgSol1.thumb.jpg.b8a2911fceb251290325818b30e8bc68.jpg

• Like 5