Cruise Critic Community
Pauser

Family's statement on toddler's cruise death

11 minutes ago, cruisingn09 said:

How do you see the article/comments in English?

I copied & pasted it into google translation.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:16 AM, graphicguy said:

@brillohead.....welcome to the NCL boards.  Appreciate your insight.

I will agree that that some (not all) of the Royal folks can get contentious.  Recently I was told I had “no class” over there because I refuse to dress in formal wear on Royal’s designated night for pictures to be taken.  I considered the source and refuse to respond to the name calling.

Some of the Royal posters have come over here in the past to denigrate NCL cruisers (me included).  To me, it sounded more like some sort of Royal gorilla marketing techniques as it became pretty vehement.

Not sure why that is, but it seems anything negative (like the topic of this thread) regarding Royal isn’t allowed over there.

I’ve sailed more NCL than I have Royal.  But, I have sailed Royal quite a bit, too.

If it’s not marketing attempts on what is probably the biggest cruise forum site on the internet, then some people over there are just not the sort I’d want to hang out with on a cruise.  They just don’t seem to be a very happy lot.

Regarding this thread, I believe we’ve looked at it from every angle.  I don’t think there’s much doubt regarding who’s at fault (GrandPa).  The lawyers can try to spin it...trying to make a buck off Royal.  But, unless they have footage of GrandPa slipping on an errant banana peel and losing his grip on the baby, he’s the culprit.  Was it an accident?  I’m 100% certain he didn’t do it on purpose.  But, at the end of the day, the child is dead because of his extremely poor judgement.

Don’t be a stranger.  I love hearing from people who sail other lines.

Do you mean the Royal crowd is something like this on formal nights?

3 hours ago, cruisingn09 said:

How do you see the article/comments in English?

I use Chrome as my browser, and it detects that the page is in a foreign language and has a pop-up that offers to translate it for me.  

15 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

There are probably videos for inside and for outside. What the videos show is unknown. Who has seen the videos is unknown. If the videos will be presented in court is unknown. If the general public will ever see the videos is unknown...but is unlikely.

Yea that is what I would have thought, but people talking made it sound like they had already watched the video.  But I hope that is wrong because they made it sound like grandpa was almost holding baby Chloe outside window.  I got to believe it was more of accident than that.

8 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

Yea that is what I would have thought, but people talking made it sound like they had already watched the video.  But I hope that is wrong because they made it sound like grandpa was almost holding baby Chloe outside window.  I got to believe it was more of accident than that.

When they first reported this incident, that's what they announced - the grandfather was holding his granddaughter out of the window, and she slipped out of his hands and fell to her death on the concrete pier. As soon as an attorney got involved, the story was changed to her being lifted up to bang on the window, the grandfather not realizing there was no glass there, and she fell to her death. But it sounds like that might be what happened - he held her out the window. 

We seem to recall that the San Juan authorities were going to make a statement today (August 24th) about possible charges being filed in this case.  Has anything been announced? 

37 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We seem to recall that the San Juan authorities were going to make a statement today (August 24th) about possible charges being filed in this case.  Has anything been announced? 

i thought it was aug 28, no?

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

any updates?

Probably won't see anything.   It's old, unimportant news.

(and when I say unimportant I mean as far as news content, not the kids death)

Edited by ColeThornton

Last I heard, Puerto Rico was considering charges against the Grandfather, and the family was suing Royal Caribbean.  Since then, silence.

I was on the Joy a couple of weeks ago and there was a dude holding his baby to a gap in the safety glass on Deck 17 near the Aqua Racer exit. The baby was too small to make the jump on its own, but I thought at the time that it was an odd thing to do. 

On 9/14/2019 at 6:17 PM, ColeThornton said:

Probably won't see anything.   It's old, unimportant news.

(and when I say unimportant I mean as far as news content, not the kids death)

Our press doesn't do their job and they never admit when they got it wrong or made it all up.

Case in point is the DR deaths which I knew in my heart was a total BS story from the get go. 

Some quiet info on that lately:

Dominican Republic Announces New Safety Measures After Deaths of 11 American Tourists

where they still try to spin in so that don't look like the idiots they really are

If indeed there will never be an official/media  update, I will be disappointed. Surprised it has not been in local family paper or PR paper and then picked up up other sources. 

Edited by jaja

1 hour ago, jaja said:

If indeed there will never be an official/media  update, I will be disappointed. Surprised it has not been in local family paper or PR paper and then picked up up other sources. 

As a resident of ny metro NJ, I never find out what happened to 99% of the horrible local news I get every day, I assumed I’d never hear what happened in this case.

If the grandfather was not the grandfather, but instead, a child care worker, or a nanny, he would be getting the **** sued out of him for negligence.  We all feel bad for the family but it was an accident caused by STUPIDITY! Call it for what it is.  Its not the cruise line's fault.  People have to have some semblance of intelligence and responsibility.  The lawyer should sue the grandfather, not the cruise line.  They are just looking for money.  Sorry state of affairs.

12 hours ago, cue881 said:

If the grandfather was not the grandfather, but instead, a child care worker, or a nanny, he would be getting the **** sued out of him for negligence.  We all feel bad for the family but it was an accident caused by STUPIDITY! Call it for what it is.  Its not the cruise line's fault.  People have to have some semblance of intelligence and responsibility.  The lawyer should sue the grandfather, not the cruise line.  They are just looking for money.  Sorry state of affairs.

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s RCL’s fault, what folks are waiting to hear is if SJ is pressing criminal charges against the grandfather.

On 9/17/2019 at 1:42 PM, NightOne said:

Our press doesn't do their job and they never admit when they got it wrong or made it all up.

Case in point is the DR deaths which I knew in my heart was a total BS story from the get go. 

Some quiet info on that lately:

Dominican Republic Announces New Safety Measures After Deaths of 11 American Tourists

where they still try to spin in so that don't look like the idiots they really are

(your post if kind of off topic but in the ball park)  However I dont know what you are trying to say -  are you saying the tourists deaths have nothing to do with the safety in the DR? or are you saying the deaths are being swept under the rug and it is not safe in the DR? or are you trying to say something else -  thanks

Edited by Newleno

16 minutes ago, Newleno said:

(your post if kind of off topic but in the ball park)  However I dont know what you are trying to say -  are you saying the tourists deaths have nothing to do with the safety in the DR? or are you saying the deaths are being swept under the rug and it is not safe in the DR? or are you trying to say something else -  thanks

I'm saying the whole "Americans are mysteriously dying in the DR" was a totally made up BS story that was not given even the most basic amount of research. I'm also saying that the press is not going to be admitting they were full of it any time soon. There is nothing to sweep under the rug because nothing happened.Meanwhile they cause like a 75% drop in tourism to DR which means their BS has a large impact on a lot of people.

Finally, I guess I am really saying that we have the worst press/media in the history of the world at the present time and they aren't worth paying attention to 90% of the time.

Wanted to add:

Case in point:

Anyone hear the "press" presenting RCCL's side of the story when this happened? Ever see any media outlet do any real investigation and blame the family vs the cruise line? Nope, they all ran with the crying family interview and their lawyer's statements. 😞

9 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Wanted to add:

Case in point:

Anyone hear the "press" presenting RCCL's side of the story when this happened? Ever see any media outlet do any real investigation and blame the family vs the cruise line? Nope, they all ran with the crying family interview and their lawyer's statements. 😞

Yes---you are  right..--and this is why I want to see what the outcome was !!!   Also,  If RCCL "settled" with the family , would be interesting to know., as surely it will effect the entire cruise industry .