Dock in San Juan

johnnyd

3 hours ago, johnnyd said:

We are going on the Star Legend next January. The cruise is round trip San Juan departing on January 4th. Can anyone tell me the docking location in San Juan?

It's at the OLD SAN JUAN CRUISE SHIP PORT.

10 hours ago, mnsailor said:

The ports of embarkation and disembarkation should be listed on you detailed itinerary confirmation.

"Should be" and "Are" can be very different with Windstar.  

Ships visiting San Juan typically call at the Old San Juan Piers.

Ships turning around at San Juan typically call at the PanAmerican Terminal.

Puerto Rican Immigration and Harbor Officials are notorious for changing the plan without notice.

The 2 locations are just across the harbor from each other. Wherever you dock, everyone can see where you are.

Both locations are close to town and taxis are inexpensive.

17 hours ago, ducklite said:

"Should be" and "Are" can be very different with Windstar.  

It's there.

Windstar or your TA will have sent you (mine was an email attachment) a "Detailed Itinerary Confirmation". This is NOT the same as the invoice but a separate document. The file name on the PDF begins "Itinerary (non-financial). I just checked my files, and I receive this, along with the Invoice, when I made the booking.

In the middle of the page, on the right there's a box for:

Port of EMBARKATION,

The first line is the port and there is a line right under it that lists the dock. For our upcoming departure it says:

Reykjavik, Iceland

Midbakki

This tells me that it's the port in the center of town, not the new port that's further out.

If you haven't received the Detailed itinerary Confirmation document you should ask for one.

4 hours ago, milepig said:

It's there.

Windstar or your TA will have sent you (mine was an email attachment) a "Detailed Itinerary Confirmation". This is NOT the same as the invoice but a separate document. The file name on the PDF begins "Itinerary (non-financial). I just checked my files, and I receive this, along with the Invoice, when I made the booking.

In the middle of the page, on the right there's a box for:

Port of EMBARKATION,

The first line is the port and there is a line right under it that lists the dock. For our upcoming departure it says:

Reykjavik, Iceland

Midbakki

This tells me that it's the port in the center of town, not the new port that's further out.

If you haven't received the Detailed itinerary Confirmation document you should ask for one.

I have received it, however the dock is clear as mud.  It HMS Belfast, but no further information.  There are two ways to board via the Belfast, and they are on opposite sides of the river.  Of course Seattle had no information.

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

I have received it, however the dock is clear as mud.  It HMS Belfast, but no further information.  There are two ways to board via the Belfast, and they are on opposite sides of the river.  Of course Seattle had no information.

This thread that you started was about San Juan. Now we’re back to London??

In any case. There don’t seem to be many vehicle access points from the south bank and this site makes it sound like you take a water taxi from the north bank:

https://www.cruiseline.co.uk/blog/exclusive-tower-bridge-cruise-port/

Why is this such a concern to you? Do you have a tight connection?  The two spots are probably a UK10 cab ride apart, if that. 

A harbormaster can can change a dock at the last minute for any number of reasons.   The ship that was there previously could be delayed by weather or mechanical issues, there could be a maintenance issue with the terminal, or anything else. Hopefully people are not flying in the day of the cruise and will have internet access.  The best way to be SURE is to go to www.marinetraffic.com  and search for your ship and on their map will be able to see EXACTLY where it is.

Roy

13 hours ago, milepig said:

This thread that you started was about San Juan. Now we’re back to London??

I didn't start the thread and my reply was in general that Windstar doesn't always give clear direction about ports and that they can and do change with little or no notification.

12 hours ago, milepig said:

In any case. There don’t seem to be many vehicle access points from the south bank and this site makes it sound like you take a water taxi from the north bank:

https://www.cruiseline.co.uk/blog/exclusive-tower-bridge-cruise-port/

Why is this such a concern to you? Do you have a tight connection?  The two spots are probably a UK10 cab ride apart, if that. 

London taxis are a rip off.  It is a concern as we're coming in a few days prior and are looking to stay close to where we'll be boarding with our luggage to avoid moving it much of a distance.  We're planning on meeting friends for brunch that day, so that factors in as well.  There are numerous working parts, so yes, how we actually board is of a concern to us.

In our experience with Windstar and other lines, the actual berth a ship uses often can change from the berth that appears in your documents as others have pointed out. That's because the cruise lines don't determine where a ship berths, but rather than harbor authorities. So no matter how well you plan you may be disappointed through no fault of the cruise line. The cost of taxi fare/Uber/Lyft etc. is pretty minimal when compared to the cost of the cruise.

Edited by Alturia

Don’t assume a ship will dock in a specific location. Just did a cruise that was supposed to tender in 2 ports.  Luckily, we docked in all ports. Love that kind of change. Just relax and wait until you sail for docking details. 

I think the only stress point is “where do we depart from”. Individual ports are just what they are and at the end Of the cruise whatever transport you’ve arranged seems to find you. Even mid cruise independent tours you’ve arranged seem to find you. 

I get that the uncertainty about the embarkation point can add stress the first couple cruises and we’ve certainly had cases (like Istanbul) where our cab started to go right past the ship on the way to the main cruise port while we screamed and pointed and made sail shaped motions. We got there. But tools have gotten better - our last two cabs had an app that showed the actual berth, and if you use marine tracker the day before or even in the morning you can see what berth the ship is headed for. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 7:06 PM, LewiLewi said:

From the news reports of rioting in San Juan, the line may have serious thoughts about continuing their service there. I would definitely check with Windstar directly to see what the current status is.

I am sure that will be over with it by the time of sailing.