Almost Live: Maasdam - Seattle to Sydney 2019

Btimmer

1 hour ago, bcummin said:

Thanks again, Tim, for posting so much for us to enjoy on your blog.

Twice in the last few weeks you have sailed round trips east of North Korea where missals have been tested and shot into the sea.  Were you aware of any security concerns sailing through these waters?

I am remembering the security measures taken when sailing through pirate waters between Mumbai and the Suez Canal.

Barbara

You're welcome.  I have another month and a half to go.  Stay tuned!

I was aware of the missile testing from the media, but there was no mention of it by the Captain.  Yesterday we had to sail around the practice area for the Japanese Air Force. 

It sounds like HAL is doing a good job of keeping you safe.

Tim, when we were on board last Dec to Feb, it felt like there were a lot of changes and surprises as the In-Depth program evolved, especially during the different segments.  Now it sounds like you have settled into a more predictable routine.  I enjoy hearing what presenters and quality staff continue the journey.  Enjoy the weeks ahead.

Barbara 

The lecturer quality is as good as the inaugural EXC and the EXC Sri Lanka voyages.

we're off touring Yokohama today in blustery 80°f weather.  Visited the Nara Model Train Museum and headed for the Red Brick Warehouses.

D929FCC8-FCF2-4804-A122-6C795AB01F1B.thumb.jpeg.856fff6bb0a69f2d18432f10be609a31.jpegC828F1E6-53A9-4B87-8E82-CED79BE95FF0.thumb.jpeg.17138db0fc94c84f70bb0ff1cd6df808.jpeg3264280B-D0ED-42D8-90B3-B4851451EC6D.thumb.jpeg.7af150b6ce4c023fe91f9cb1f3fc5d70.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Thanks for the details of daily onboard life, Tim. I think I'm going to love it.

We are due to embark 26th September and found all your info useful, thank you. Do you know if there is any music for ballroom dancing, please? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Patchris said:

We are due to embark 26th September and found all your info useful, thank you. Do you know if there is any music for ballroom dancing, please? Thanks!

The only possible venue for ballroom dancing is in the ocean bar.  There is line dancing in the Crow's Nest from time to time.

10 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Thanks to all who attended today's Meet & Greet.  We had over 100 in attendance.

If anyone 'borrowed' my sharpie pens, could you return them to cabin 520.

Possibly they landed in the lost and found at the front desk?

Barbara

P.S.  People need to remember that the In-Depth cruises concentrate on area information, not entertainment.

I’m enjoying your blog Tim.  We are going to be boarding in Sydney as you leave.  We’re doing the 51 day Australia/NZ.

I'm planning an informal Meet & Greet after muster drill.  Still trying to figure out when muster drill will be but I’m told it will be at 4, even though we leave at 7pm.  I’ve never been on the Maasdam so not sure where would be a good spot for it.  I’m wondering if you could suggest a good bar to meet at?  There will probably be 18-20 of us.  Thanks so much.  Helen

4 hours ago, Lesliealbert said:

I’m enjoying your blog Tim.  We are going to be boarding in Sydney as you leave.  We’re doing the 51 day Australia/NZ.

I'm planning an informal Meet & Greet after muster drill.  Still trying to figure out when muster drill will be but I’m told it will be at 4, even though we leave at 7pm.  I’ve never been on the Maasdam so not sure where would be a good spot for it.  I’m wondering if you could suggest a good bar to meet at?  There will probably be 18-20 of us.  Thanks so much.  Helen

The Ocean Bar on Deck 8 of the back side of the Crow's Nest on Deck 12 would be best.  Just contact HAL and they'll set aside you a special location.  PM me at tkbowman  at gmail dot com and I can provide a contact at HAL.

We just received word from the Captain that we are cutting short our port stay tomorrow in Naha due to tropical depression Ling Ling.  All HAL shore  excursions have been cancelled.  We will arrive at 6am & depart at 12:30pm local time.

We had a great port stop in Amami today.1491AEC6-7F04-4D62-BDA8-C853A5FE40E4.thumb.jpeg.f5b77e4e6cdcc1929585f571b58df857.jpeg366743B7-C5CF-4025-BAA8-EA3509635414.thumb.jpeg.25e1243241886431e436413cd74e5127.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's a map of our route and the typhoon Lingling behind us and another tropical storm ahead of us.  Today the captain said if we hadn't left yesterday, we would have had to ride out the storm at our berth.

C5366BC5-A1E0-4DC5-8707-EAFD64573C30.thumb.jpeg.0d60b0fc547e4af013de673ebd6a378a.jpeg

Tomorrow we'll do scenic cruising at Iwo Jima which is the turning point on the map.

• Like 1

It's traditional English breakfast if you leave out the sweet roll and add a banger i.e. fat sausage. The back bacon is hard to find in California and expensive.

Feeling sorry for Captain Jutten if he is losing more sleep checking weather forecasts. It is looking similar to our two October trips through the region.

The lectures all sound great though. I counted seven events I would have attended during the last sea day you reported.

Hi to all friends still on the Maasdam. We loved our 46 days.

Jill