Suggestion for Family

Donojames

My spouse and I have done a few cruises but this year in honor of his 60th we want to take his kids and grandchildren on a cruise in February. We want something that will appeal to Millenials and young children and us. We've ruled out Disney but open to most. Suggestions or Tips? There will be 7 adults and 2 kids under 10 

That is pretty wide open!  Any specific regions you're considering?  Are you looking for a departure port out of driving distance of Philadelphia or is everyone able to fly?  Any specific family interests?  We are taking an extended family Alaska cruise at the end of the month with grandkids, grandparents, and everyone in between, single digit ages and up.

As you probably know the beauty of cruising is that there is usually something available for all ages, both on and off the ship.

WRT the kids: will be they be in the kids club programming, or with the adults the majority of the time?  

Royal does a very good job with providing ships that handle both preferences very well, especially  Quantum and Oasis class.  you are within driving distance of Cape Liberty Port which has a lot of options.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Donojames said:

11and 5 

for this age - Royal Caribbean all the way (Oasis class and higher, or the older ships that were AMPED). Especially, if kids don't do kid's club (like my kid), so having family activities or activities for kids are super important. The food was good.

Princess is very boring, because aside from kid's club, there is nothing to do for and with kids.

NCL's Getaway and Breakaway would also be a good choice. While their food sucked (and yes, I know it's subjective), their entertainment was great, as were kid's activities.

Another vote here for Royal Caribbean, particularly with that age spread.  

Some lines to adults better and some lines do kids better, but IMO Royal Caribbean does the full spectrum of ages really, really well.  You'll see everything from kids in diapers to 90-somethings, and every age in between, all having a great time.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:26 PM, RSLeesburg said:

My “go to” recommendation is one of the Oasis class ships from Royal Caribbean.  Best entertainment on any ships, and ton of activities for every age.  

Totally, totally agree. The very best bang for the buck!

I recommend 2 connecting cabins for the kids and 2 parents. Connecting cabins have an inside door so you can go from one cabin to the other without going into the hall. You could put the kids and parents together in one cabin, but this would be crowded. With 2 cabins you'll have double the space (and bathrooms), and usually for not that much more price than 4 in one cabin. If only 1 parent is going, then I'd go with 3 in one cabin, because cabins are priced as "2 per cabin", so a single in a cabin basically pays double.

I also vote for Royal Caribbean -- one with an ice rink like voyager or freedom or oasis class. Don't wait too long too book, or you will find your cabin selections lacking.

Edited by Jimnbigd

• 3 weeks later...

When is the birthday?  What date(s) in February? If you are talking about 2020, you might find cabins choices are limited. You actually might have to start looking at 2021 now to get cabins together and (I think important) connecting. When is the birthday? Best option is probably a Sunday to Sunday cruise (7 days), and fly in on Saturday, preferably Saturday morning or early afternoon. February weather can be tricky, so please do not fly in the day of the cruise. Cruises from Miami or Ft Lauderdale would be good options. Try the Allure of the Seas (a Royal Caribbean oasis class).

One thing: Oasis class ships require pre-booking of shows. Some people don't like this. Technically you don't have to pre-book, but if you don't you might not get into the show. Actually, with a family this might not be bad since everyone knows when and where the shows are. Same for dinner -- a fixed time dining might be good, again because everyone knows when and where to be for evening dinner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 10:01 PM, Donojames said:

Caribbean. We can leave from any port. I’m just trying to find a cruise where all the family will have fun but also spend time together 

Leaving from Philly or NY in February will not be fun & could be tricky AND COLD!

I haven't cruise RC yet, only Carnival.  I don't thing you can go wrong on either.

Speaking from experience, an Oasis class ship for a multi generational cruise would be a great choice. We had 14 family members, aged 4-70, on the Oasis 5 yrs ago and there was something for everyone 🙂

And I agree - leaving from Florida in winter would be ideal to maximize warm weather days.

Edited by h-sar

On 8/11/2019 at 2:56 AM, CoolOne56 said:

Leaving from Philly or NY in February will not be fun & could be tricky AND COLD!

I haven't cruise RC yet, only Carnival.  I don't thing you can go wrong on either.

I've cruised from NY in January within the last few years.  I can remember being on deck in shorts and a tee for that magnificent sailaway down the Hudson River.  But it certainly wasn't pool or sun bathing weather for sailaway or the 1st day at sea.  Except for our neighbors to the north!

Edited by evandbob

On 7/10/2019 at 2:22 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

The majority of the RCI ships offer more for everyone.  

Be warned that many schools will be closed for President's holiday and you may find more children on the ship than normal in February.

I agree!  And having more kids might work well for the OP's family cruise objective.   

Edited by ldubs

• 1 month later...

My children would say Oasis Class on RCI hands down.  They are now teenagers and they are so exciting about our next cruise.  My daughter made all these spreadsheets comparing the activities and restaurants on all the major ships/cruise lines (she doesn't care about ports) and she picked Symphony of the Seas for our next trip.  I'll admit I love Oasis class ships too.  There is so much to do for all ages.  It is a really fun atmosphere!

Edited by kateg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 8:44 PM, Donojames said:

My spouse and I have done a few cruises but this year in honor of his 60th we want to take his kids and grandchildren on a cruise in February. We want something that will appeal to Millenials and young children and us. We've ruled out Disney but open to most. Suggestions or Tips? There will be 7 adults and 2 kids under 10 

Years ago we celebrated a birthday for me and took our children and grand children on the Norwegian Gem ,a 7 day cruise from Manhattan to the Bahamas.Everyone had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

My recommendation would be Royal Caribbean.  Royal has a partnership with Dreamworks, so there are character breakfasts and photo ops for the kids, ans well as other Dreamworks themed events.  But, many ships also have a Solarium, which is an adult-only area with a pool (in most cases....check out the deck plans for the specific ship you're considering, if this is something you want) where the adults can hang out.  And, on the Oasis class ships, there's a recreational pool and a sports pool, plus a kids swim area.  All of the Royal ships will have kids clubs (I believe there's an extra charge, but from what I've heard, it's worth it)!  Plus, they have family friendly entertainment earlier in the evening and adult only entertainment later in the evening.  The menu is great for little ones with picky taste buds, and there will be plenty for the adults to choose from as well.

If you're game for a big ship, I highly recommend Oasis or Allure of the Seas.  Oasis is actually my favorite ship, and I plan to sail her again in the near future.  If you want something a bit smaller, I'd recommend something like Freedom or Independence of the Seas.  Good luck, and have a great trip!