Is Trunk Bay worth the expense?

ronu

Thinking about going to Trunk bay during my stop in St. Thomas (will be in port 7am to 7pm). Trunk Bay looks beautiful, trying to justify the cost to essentially go to a beach. Enjoy beaches in general but only for a few hours at most. Is it worth it? Are taxis waiting at trunk bay to go back to ferry dock?

18 minutes ago, ronu said:

Thinking about going to Trunk bay during my stop in St. Thomas (will be in port 7am to 7pm). Trunk Bay looks beautiful, trying to justify the cost to essentially go to a beach. Enjoy beaches in general but only for a few hours at most. Is it worth it? Are taxis waiting at trunk bay to go back to ferry dock?

Yes it's absolutely worth the little expense or many of us wouldn't keep going over. 7am-7pm that's a long time for a cruise stay I would definitely go. Have fun!!

1 hour ago, TTEllis said:

Yes it's absolutely worth the little expense or many of us wouldn't keep going over. 7am-7pm that's a long time for a cruise stay I would definitely go. Have fun!!

Thanks! Do you recommend trying to go 1st thing in the morning? Is the ferry ride smooth?

7 hours ago, ronu said:

Thanks! Do you recommend trying to go 1st thing in the morning? Is the ferry ride smooth?

I do recommend going first thing in the morning even though your ship doesn't depart STT until 7pm.

Trunk Bay early in the morning and the ferry ride over are really nice, and it's not so hot. I like sitting upstairs outside on top of the ferry, great views of everything, it's nice and open up there. Yes it can get choppy but nothing unpleasant, I actually enjoy the ride over. 

Plus if you go earlier and the sun on Trunk literally burns you off the beach, you can walk out to the parking lot catch a taxi back to Cruz Bay, head back to STT and do some shopping in Charlotte Amalie with NO HURRY, that's HUGE!!

Have a great time, no problems. Todd

5 hours ago, TTEllis said:

I do recommend going first thing in the morning even though your ship doesn't depart STT until 7pm.

Trunk Bay early in the morning and the ferry ride over are really nice, and it's not so hot. I like sitting upstairs outside on top of the ferry, great views of everything, it's nice and open up there. Yes it can get choppy but nothing unpleasant, I actually enjoy the ride over. 

Plus if you go earlier and the sun on Trunk literally burns you off the beach, you can walk out to the parking lot catch a taxi back to Cruz Bay, head back to STT and do some shopping in Charlotte Amalie with NO HURRY, that's HUGE!!

Have a great time, no problems. Todd

Thanks for all your help!

From your ship whether your docked at Crown Bay or Havensight to THIS spot on Trunk Bay cost me $55(US), and some walking round trip. 

Does it look like it's worth $55(US), and some walking round trip. 

😉 Gonna cost you the same. Same spot $55(US) round trip..... and some walking. 

It's worth it I promise. No problems 

Might wanna throw in some spf 500 sun block even though it wont help. 

Later

20131202_113912.jpg

Edited by TTEllis

4 hours ago, TTEllis said:

From your ship whether your docked at Crown Bay or Havensight to THIS spot on Trunk Bay cost me $55(US), and some walking round trip. 

Does it look like it's worth $55(US), and some walking round trip. 

😉 Gonna cost you the same. Same spot $55(US) round trip..... and some walking. 

It's worth it I promise. No problems 

Might wanna throw in some spf 500 sun block even though it wont help. 

Later

20131202_113912.jpg

You sold me on going! Hopefully it won't rain that day and there will be a seat on the ferry for me..How long is the taxi ride to the ferry?

Taxi from Havensight to the Redhook terminal takes about 20 minutes, from Crown Bay is a bit longer. 

With the time frame you have I recommend going over 1st thing in the morning BUT you don't have to make the mad dash for the taxi stand, don't have to be stressed about catching a particular time ferry, you get to take your time and just go. That's nice. 

You can spend your day on Trunk catch the 3pm ferry back to Redhook with no hurry, make your way back to Charlotte Amalie do some sightseeing, shopping or have cocktails with family and friends. Migrate back to your ship between 5pm-6pm, that's a nice day for your cruise stop on STT. Only way too go. 

No problems getting a seat on the ferry, if it's not too hot go up on top with your cellphone camera and take pic's. Views and scenery are great. If your lucky you'll hit a rain shower and cool off on your way back. 

Take care Todd

1 hour ago, TTEllis said:

Taxi from Havensight to the Redhook terminal takes about 20 minutes, from Crown Bay is a bit longer. 

With the time frame you have I recommend going over 1st thing in the morning BUT you don't have to make the mad dash for the taxi stand, don't have to be stressed about catching a particular time ferry, you get to take your time and just go. That's nice. 

You can spend your day on Trunk catch the 3pm ferry back to Redhook with no hurry, make your way back to Charlotte Amalie do some sightseeing, shopping or have cocktails with family and friends. Migrate back to your ship between 5pm-6pm, that's a nice day for your cruise stop on STT. Only way too go. 

No problems getting a seat on the ferry, if it's not too hot go up on top with your cellphone camera and take pic's. Views and scenery are great. If your lucky you'll hit a rain shower and cool off on your way back. 

Take care Todd

Thanks again for all your help! Don't know if I'll stay that long but will make the most of my visit. 

St John is indeed a beautiful island and makes for a great day. You are very fortunate to be arriving so early, and to be in port so late! That makes a venture to STJ so much more worthwhile, as it does add ~1.5 - 2 hours to your travel time. And Trunk Bay is a beautiful beach for sure, as are Cinnamon Bay and other nearby beaches. Since you are interested in just a few hours on a beach, you could enjoy Trunk if you want all the amenities that your fellow cruisers are also seeking and you don’t mind a busier vibe. Trunk Bay on STJ and Magens Bay on STT are the two most-touted beaches for this STT port stop.

For a first visit to STJ I would consider taking an island tour of STJ, followed by 2 - 3 hours at a beach, then a walk around Cruz Bay and lunch there. Cruz Bay is a very nice  place to shop and enjoy a lunch as compared to Charlotte Amalie on STT. When you get off the ferry, taxis will be lined up to transport folks to Trunk Bay, primarily, and on the way they will offer a tour to those interested. The tour was $25pp last time we took a taxi there and may be more now. But with the $25pp tour your total price would be ~$66pp - $68pp + tip (depending on your port), without the tour your round trip cost is ~$48pp - $50pp + tip.

If you decide that even with your long port stop you don’t want to go to STJ, and seeing some of the beauty of ST makes more sense for your first visit, look at this link to get an idea of the STT beaches others love. Our favorite by far is Sapphire, but if you are docked at Crown Bay and want just a few beach hours Lindbergh Bay (aka “Emerald Beach”, named for the Emerald Beach Resort located there), would be a nice choice.

Whatever you decide on do enjoy your day! And consider an evening dinner at one of the restaurants overlooking the harbor lights, or even stop at Paradise Point for a drink and the view. Both are a very nice way to end your day on STT!

Edited by blue_water

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

St John is indeed a beautiful island and makes for a great day. You are very fortunate to be arriving so early, and to be in port so late! That makes a venture to STJ so much more worthwhile, as it does add ~1.5 - 2 hours to your travel time. And Trunk Bay is a beautiful beach for sure, as are Cinnamon Bay and other nearby beaches. Since you are interested in just a few hours on a beach, you could enjoy Trunk if you want all the amenities that your fellow cruisers are also seeking and you don’t mind a busier vibe. Trunk Bay on STJ and Magens Bay on STT are the two most-touted beaches for this STT port stop.

For a first visit to STJ I would consider taking an island tour of STJ, followed by 2 - 3 hours at a beach, then a walk around Cruz Bay and lunch there. Cruz Bay is a very nice  place to shop and enjoy a lunch as compared to Charlotte Amalie on STT. When you get off the ferry, taxis will be lined up to transport folks to Trunk Bay, primarily, and on the way they will offer a tour to those interested. The tour was $25pp last time we took a taxi there and may be more now. But with the $25pp tour your total price would be ~$66pp - $68pp + tip (depending on your port), without the tour your round trip cost is ~$48pp - $50pp + tip.

If you decide that even with your long port stop you don’t want to go to STJ, and seeing some of the beauty of ST makes more sense for your first visit, look at this link to get an idea of the STT beaches others love. Our favorite by far is Sapphire, but if you are docked at Crown Bay and want just a few beach hours Lindbergh Bay (aka “Emerald Beach”, named for the Emerald Beach Resort located there), would be a nice choice.

Whatever you decide on do enjoy your day! And consider an evening dinner at one of the restaurants overlooking the harbor lights, or even stop at Paradise Point for a drink and the view. Both are a very nice way to end your day on STT!

Thanks! I visited Meagans beach when I was in St Thomas about 7 years ago. It was nice but for whatever reason wasn't crazy about it. I'll be docked at Havensight.  Sapphire looks like a good option and not far from the ferry. Any idea how much a taxi would cost from the ferry in St Thomas to Sapphire beach?

Yes we like beaches with a bit more “character”, if you will, and Sapphire gives us that with the multi-blue water colors between the sandy, coral, and sea grass areas. Also good snorkeling and I enjoy checking out the nice boats in the marina. Home to condo properties with rentals and a beach bar and grill, it is a great beach to relax at with room to spread out.

The 20-minute taxi is $10pp each way, and taxis stop in to take folks back to the ships and to town. We rent a condo at the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina and no other spot compares to this for waterfront living. Also a short taxi or drive into Red Hook with great restaurants.

Our first visit we enjoyed stopping at Paradise Point after the beach for a drink and a view of Havensight. You can taxi up or take the aerial tram (tram passes are generally offered at your ship’s excursions desk). But a nice dinner at Mafolie, Room With a View, or even Oceana in Frenchtown after showering would be even nicer!

[EDIT] STJ is beautiful, but so many people never experience the beauty of the East End beaches and  the north shore views on STT...

Edited by blue_water

5 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Yes we like beaches with a bit more “character”, if you will, and Sapphire gives us that with the multi-blue water colors between the sandy, coral, and sea grass areas. Also good snorkeling and I enjoy checking out the nice boats in the marina. Home to condo properties with rentals and a beach bar and grill, it is a great beach to relax at with room to spread out.

The 20-minute taxi is $10pp each way, and taxis stop in to take folks back to the ships and to town. We rent a condo at the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina and no other spot compares to this for waterfront living. Also a short taxi or drive into Red Hook with great restaurants.

Our first visit we enjoyed stopping at Paradise Point after the beach for a drink and a view of Havensight. You can taxi up or take the aerial tram (tram passes are generally offered at your ship’s excursions desk). But a nice dinner at Mafolie, Room With a View, or even Oceana in Frenchtown after showering would be even nicer!

[EDIT] STJ is beautiful, but so many people never experience the beauty of the East End beaches and  the north shore views on STT...

Thanks! So the taxi from Red hook ferry is $10 and 20 minute ride to Sapphire? Thought it was closer.

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

Oh sorry, no - from your Havensight Dock Sapphire is $10pp and ~20 min. From Red Hook, Sapphire is 3 minutes at the most and probably $4 - $5pp...

Thanks for clarifying! Is exact change required?

6 hours ago, blue_water said:

WE like beaches with a bit more "amenities" if you will, Porta Potties that's way too much "character" for me. 😷😃

I'm a REAL simple kinda guy I just stick with clean restrooms, a hot shower, a place to sit where I can change into my dry clothing, and that's all the "character" I need. 

Sure! And no worries, most popular beaches offer restrooms and all of the amenities you want.

For the real simple kinda guy like me who is more interested in a beach with fewer amenities - and fewer fellow cruise mates as a result - I just wanted to point out there are still beach options on both STT and STJ with a less busy vibe. You may have a beach bar and restrooms, but sacrifice the lounge and umbrella rentals and have to lay your towel on the soft sand. A much different experience from the ship, and the beaches you are told about on the ship. But there are choices for everyone which is great, especially in high season with lots of fellow cruisers and land visitors trying to squeeze together on the same beaches!

To answer your initial question, we wouldn’t spend the time traveling to STJ just for a few hours on the beach, but we’ve been there and you haven’t. With your extended port time you can take a leisurely day trip, take advantage of the island tour, and enjoy Trunk for a few hours then lunch and shop in Cruz Bay. Nice day that! Anything you enjoy on STT after will be a bonus. 

Enjoy!

Edited by blue_water

Thanks  I'll be fine on a beach mat. When I get the ferry ticket, is it for a specific time? Would like to buy roundup ticket but won't know what time I'll want head back. Weather could be a factor. 

Ronu: If you are talking about the ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, it leaves on the hour both ways. The tickets are not for specific ferries and are good for, I think, 10 days. Buy a round trip and you can get straight in line for the ferry, won't need to get in the separate ticket line.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

Ronu: If you are talking about the ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, it leaves on the hour both ways. The tickets are not for specific ferries and are good for, I think, 10 days. Buy a round trip and you can get straight in line for the ferry, won't need to get in the separate ticket line.

I am. Thank you!