EHIC card

Host Sharon

As we still haven't left the EU yet, don't forget to pack your EHIC card and that it is current. When this topic arose previously, some people seemed to think it only applied if your were staying i the country and not on a cruise, however, this article says differently. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/06/-i-broke-my-ankle-on-holiday---but-moneysavingexpert-s-ehic-remi/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=09-Jul-19-50570822-10616&utm_campaign=nt-hiya&utm_content=7

3 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

As we still haven't left the EU yet, don't forget to pack your EHIC card and that it is current. When this topic arose previously, some people seemed to think it only applied if your were staying i the country and not on a cruise, however, this article says differently. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/06/-i-broke-my-ankle-on-holiday---but-moneysavingexpert-s-ehic-remi/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=09-Jul-19-50570822-10616&utm_campaign=nt-hiya&utm_content=7

I'm sure we checked when we took our EHICs on our last cruise whether they would actually cover cruise passengers and they definitely do. If whatever befalls you occurs in the territory of an EHIC country, then you are covered.

Interesting because I thought you weren’t covered because on a cruise you are not residing in the country. On the EHIC bit of the NHS site it says:

The EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. It is also not valid on cruises.

So now I’m confused!

16 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

My guess is that this means it's not valid for treatment on board a cruise ship by the ship's doctor. It should be valid for public hospitals on shore.

Correct

Brian

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes but surely you wouldn't be using that if you were covered by Travel Insurance and you can't travel without Insurance?

Some, if not most, insurance companies require you to have an EHIC card also. Travel insurance is not compulsory if, for example, you were to drive across to Europe, but it is highly recommended. 

Brian

• Like 1

Does anyone know for certain whether the EHIC card will still operate once we are no longer members of the EU? Maybe it will be included in any deal if we leave in a managed way with a deal and implementation period, but presumably leaving without a deal will remove UK citizens from the scheme. 

38 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Does anyone know for certain whether the EHIC card will still operate once we are no longer members of the EU? Maybe it will be included in any deal if we leave in a managed way with a deal and implementation period, but presumably leaving without a deal will remove UK citizens from the scheme. 

As with everything, no-one knows. 

• Like 1

No one knows yet as it all depends on what is agreed when, and if, we leave the EU. However, you do not need to be in the EU to join the EHIC system. Currently there are four countries outside the EU who are members. 

These are

Norway

Switzerland

Iceland

Liechtenstein 

We may end up the same as these but who knows?

Brian

On 7/10/2019 at 12:49 PM, Host Sharon said:

It is very frustrating that the guidelines on the EHIC have always been amazingly vague and open to various interpretation - but it is indeed valid ashore at approved medical centres and some travel insurance companies actually ask you to use it wherever possible.  It is not valid onboard.
The mention of needing to be resident in a country refers to when you apply for the EHIC, not when you are using it.
A shame it will probably be discontinued after Brexit.

Edited by Scriv