Rain Jacket or Umbrella

denmarks

I just purchased a couple rain jackets that are a step above the disposable ponchos. They should last a few times unless snagged by something. Do you carry any type of rain ponchos or jackets on a cruise, just an umbrella, or both? These were about $6 each.

temp.jpg

Come prepared for everything ( bring water, extra battery,  every possible medication ) , or just wing it, that is very personal choice.    I'd say even if I know it is possible to rain an umbrella and/or poncho are so cheap compared to the other things I don't bother. 

Agree if you are going to Alaska summer to be surprised that you need rain gear, head gear, gloves would be poor planning to not either plan to pops for those things, or bring them.    

Edited by chipmaster

We have packable rain jackets/windbreakers for every member of the family and travel with them... because I don't want to miss out on exploring just because it's wet, and umbrellas don't really keep you dry if it's seriously raining. They pack down to the size of my palm, and fit into a corner of the luggage and can be layered with a fleece for a cool day or opened up over a tshirt for a hot and wet day.

Depending on the Ports and time of year, either a rain jacket or an umbrella. Or both. My travel umbrella is small enough, when telescoped down, to easily fit in our day pack. I have taken to using it as a parasol in areas where the sun is viciously strong, like SE Asia.

That's a great deal!  I always pack two disposable clear ponchos in case it looks like it is going to rain the particular day we are at a port.  One time we went on a tour and it poured when we were making our way back to the ship.  We were drenched.  So if it looks like it might rain, I will put the compact ponchos in my travel body bag.

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Thing is, if you are in London, or any major city in the UK, if it rains you are never more than a few feet from the nearest Pub.

And British Pubs are our greatest invention.

And between the pub and your location in a London rainstorm there will be at least 2 places to buy an umbrella. 

Whether I take an umbrella, rain jacket or both depends on location and planned activities.  If asked to choose one it would be the rain jacket.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, denmarks said:

Do you carry any type of rain ponchos or jackets on a cruise, just an umbrella, or both?

We bring rain gear.  Most cruises just a poncho (if there's only a slight chance of rain).  Sometimes, a rain jacket (with hood) and rain pants for those cruises there's a likelihood of real rain.

I never bring an umbrella.  Couple of reasons, 1) using an umbrella means one less hand to deal with cameras and other things. 2)  most tourist locations will have bunches of people, and an umbrella, with ribs ending at eye level, can be hazardous in a crowd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, denmarks said:

I just purchased a couple rain jackets that are a step above the disposable ponchos. They should last a few times unless snagged by something. Do you carry any type of rain ponchos or jackets on a cruise, just an umbrella, or both? These were about $6 each.

temp.jpg

Usually neither.

We always bring an umbrella.  Just thinking where our umbrella saved us...Quebec, Bermuda, of course London, and Hong Kong.............and in Lahaina, Maui...not rain but from the searing sun.  I remember an extremely long line to tender back from Lahaina...not much shade...lucky for us, I had the umbrella.  Even shared it with a couple of happy women. 😎

• Like 1

I take a light rain jacket that doubles as a wind breaker.  I've mostly wanted an umbrella when I've been in Europe. At the first drop of rain, baskets of 5 Euro umbrellas pop up all over the place. I buy a 5 Euro umbrella and enjoy it's protection for as long as it survives. (Bonus points if the umbrella is in decent enough shape to hand it off to somebody to use. At no point does the thing actually come home with me.)

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I bought inexpensive ponchos for our first Alaska cruise. I've lived in Northern California and Seattle. Instead of a steady downpour, you get this fine mist sometimes that coats everything and soaks you through.  The ponchos are perfect for that.

That's what I love about my oh-so-cute rain poncho.  We travel all the way from NorCal to SEA and it's great.