Never Again on RCCL! Poor Customer Service!

41 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

What is the reason for eliminating the Refundable Deposit?

I think I read somewhere - possible here - that Royal is trying to discourage  people from booking 10 cabins on 7 different cruises 2 years out, then cancelling most of them 3 months out.

I can understand they want better inventory control but: A) is it really a widespread problem and B) is it really going to discourage people?

From what I see on the "Deployment" threads, trying to book a cruise as early as possible has become a sporting event!

I do know that quite a few years ago, lots of people here would talk about how they had 10-20 different cruises booked in prime staterooms (aft, hump, accessible, suites, etc.), and they would cancel half or more of them before final payment as they decided which ones they wanted to keep and which ones they didn't.  They would book them all on the release day to get the cheapest prices locked in.  

I really do think that inventory control was a huge part of why all suites are now non-refundable only, and refundable deposit fares are significantly higher on other categories.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It will be real easy in the not too distant future, when RCI eliminates refundable rates.

Maybe or Maybe not.

One of the principal  justifications for the OP being it the spot she was in was that she was a long time cruiser with RCI and that previously she had always had refundable deposits, apparently no questions asked.  Therefore under this logic anybody who has previously made deposits or traveled on RCI prior to the new policy of all deposits being nonrefundable would need to be grandfathered into an exception to the rule and their deposits would still be refundable.

Remember she was a very savvy cruiser and fell into the trap.  Think of the many less savvy former RCI cruisers and grandfathering them in will be the only public relations and very possibly, if I have read many of the responses on this board correctly, legal recourse for RCI.

I plan on booking onboard from here forward.  With their 60 days to change itineraries and reduced deposits booked through NextCruise, if I do have to cancel a NRD booking I'm only out $200. That'll be a way better deal for me than a refundable deposit that I end up paying more for.

9 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I plan on booking onboard from here forward.  With their 60 days to change itineraries and reduced deposits booked through NextCruise, if I do have to cancel a NRD booking I'm only out $200. That'll be a way better deal for me than a refundable deposit that I end up paying more for.

Do we have confirmation, is it 60 days to change or 30 days to change when booking on board?  I've heard both claimed here, and wonder which is accurate....

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Do we have confirmation, is it 60 days to change or 30 days to change when booking on board?  I've heard both claimed here, and wonder which is accurate....

My recollection is 30 days to change without penalty.  It's 60 days to transfer to a travel agent.

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Actually you are right.  I went back and looked at my invoice and it says 30 days.  For some reason I have 60 days in my head.  I have no idea why.  

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

It's 60 days to transfer to a travel agent.

That must be it why I had 60 in my head.  Either way though with reduced deposit no worries about having to use FCC and in the event of an emergency I'm not out much.

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

You can book and decide later within 60 days

If you chose to select an itinerary later, can you do that on-line with the next cruise number, or do you have to call to book? And are you able to book at the on-line offer prices at that time? 

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

What is the reason for eliminating the Refundable Deposit?

I think I read somewhere - possible here - that Royal is trying to discourage  people from booking 10 cabins on 7 different cruises 2 years out, then cancelling most of them 3 months out.

I can understand they want better inventory control but: A) is it really a widespread problem and B) is it really going to discourage people?

From what I see on the "Deployment" threads, trying to book a cruise as early as possible has become a sporting event!

Here is my 2 cents.  The way they have the NRD set up now is so people will get accustomed  to it and not even realize that a refundable deposit is available. It is set up this way purposely so you  have to go through the booking process and either see that there is a big difference in price or just miss it all together. Celebrity started offering a lower price that doesn't include any perks like the drink package but if you choose that it's a NRD. If you want a refundable deposit you have to go with the higher price and pick 2 of the 4 perks. Now when bookings become soft they will no doubt offer a refundable deposit or a reduced deposit. It all depends on how the sales are and if they want to show an increase in bookings for the quarterly reports.  I booked a cruise with Princess because they were offering $1 NRD. I took a chance and booked an itinerary that I was interested in at the time. Their bookings spiked according to TA's on that board.  As it turned out I decided to sail on Celebrity instead and canceled my Princess booking which by the way they refunded my $2. It's in the cruise lines best interest to keep a deposit or charge a change fee. 

16 minutes ago, libbismom said:

If you chose to select an itinerary later, can you do that on-line with the next cruise number, or do you have to call to book? And are you able to book at the on-line offer prices at that time? 

You have to call (or use a travel agent) to use your Next Cruise booking.  Same prices as on the web.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

I do know that quite a few years ago, lots of people here would talk about how they had 10-20 different cruises booked in prime staterooms (aft, hump, accessible, suites, etc.), and they would cancel half or more of them before final payment as they decided which ones they wanted to keep and which ones they didn't.  They would book them all on the release day to get the cheapest prices locked in.  

I really do think that inventory control was a huge part of why all suites are now non-refundable only, and refundable deposit fares are significantly higher on other categories.  

Significant is right. Should see what some of Refundable Cruise prices I checked lately. Yes few were $20 more, even saw one less then nonrefundable, but seen several $500, 700 and one about $1000 more. And that was me booking Solo Balcony Cabin's. Will stick with Non-refundable. Agree about the Suites, when Refundable there was Cruises they were sold out within days of release... Booking early, often and getting my favorite cabin is still Sport I excel in...

I feel that the OP and their son needs to take some responsible for this whole situation. 

The OP did not read their cruise confirmation, they on glanced at it.

Now we find out the son knew about the cruise before he changed his job. 

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I booked a cruise with Princess because they were offering $1 NRD. I took a chance and booked an itinerary that I was interested in at the time. Their bookings spiked according to TA's on that board.  As it turned out I decided to sail on Celebrity instead and canceled my Princess booking which by the way they refunded my $2. It's in the cruise lines best interest to keep a deposit or charge a change fee. 

When we were booking the repo cruise on Anthem for April 2020,we had the option(via a TA) of paying £1 deposit pp but it meant you had to commit to standing order for equal payments of the outstanding amount commencing the following month,not something we were interested in so really didn't dig into how that worked if you wanted to cancel.

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

When we were booking the repo cruise on Anthem for April 2020,we had the option(via a TA) of paying £1 deposit pp but it meant you had to commit to standing order for equal payments of the outstanding amount commencing the following month,not something we were interested in so really didn't dig into how that worked if you wanted to cancel.

Princess only charged $1 pp nothing else until final payment. I'm sure the stockholders were very pleased with the increase in bookings that month.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, fscool said:

I am not sure if RCL does this when you book direct or maybe it is just TA's but in all of the cruises I have booked I basically start with a "hold" on a room.  That gives me a couple of days to figure out what I want to do.  On the Guest Booking Offer document that I get it tells me whether the booking will be NO REF DEP or REF DEP.  Only after I see that document and decide on my plans do I lock it in.  

Do the RCL agents not do the same thing?

Exactly what should always be done.  Put an option on a booking, look at the invoice, then deposit the booking.  1,2,3,

On 7/17/2019 at 3:13 PM, brillohead said:

I have seen this as well.  It does seem to be a little while ago ... seems like things are changing fairly rapidly.  I also made comments to the like of .... this is scheduling vacation and cruises, NOT buying merchandise and returning it to Walmart!  Wasn't received very well by those that dealt and played fast & loose with their cruise reservations. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 4:11 PM, reallyitsmema said:

You do not have to call for a refundable price, you just have to do a mock booking all the way to the page you enter passenger information and you will see a refundable option.  It is not as user friendly as it used to be, but it does exist on the website.

Thanks. I never saw that. I really wished they would show the interline rate like they do the military rate. It would make my life so much easier. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1