Port Hole Rooms

mkcurran

11 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Talk to me about porthole rooms....it is better to get the one closest to the middle of the ship? 

Specifically I'm still eyeballing and over thinking a Fascination cruise. 

On the Fascination, the PT cabins are all forward, so there are zero cabins close to the middle of the ship.  On deck 4, they are the 10 most forward cabins on each side of the ship, from R2-R28 on the port side and R1-R31 on the starboard side.  On deck 5, they are the 18 most forward, with 9 on each side.  On deck 6, there are 6 on each side and on deck 7 there are 4 on each side, for a total of 58 PT cabins.

We've had both the porthole rooms on the lowest 2 decks or the front forward room with the "secret" balcony and liked both. The forward room was a smaller more cramped room, but we spend so little time in the room that it was fine. One benefit of the lower forward porthole rooms is that you are closer to the gangway for excursions. 

15 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

We did hear some anchor noise when we docked, but we were already up getting ready for port anyway, so no big deal. (It was like 5 minutes before we left to go to breakfast, so it certainly didn't wake us.) And it really wasn't much, or long. From hearing some people on hear describe it, I really thought it was going to be seriously loud. Meh, this was no big deal.

So it sounds like it's not a problem for early risers. Thanks!

I believe the Fascination and the Imagination are quite similar. We were in U17 on Deck 6, so a couple of decks up from the first floors -- I would imagine that any noise would be louder on Deck 4 or 5. But no, it wasn't a problem for us as early risers. Being awake at the time, we actually didn't really notice it other than "What's that noise?" which didn't last long anyway. Had we been asleep at the time, it might have been a bit more disconcerting to awake to. But if you're an early riser (particularly on port days) I couldn't imagine it would bother you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

On the Fascination, the PT cabins are all forward, so there are zero cabins close to the middle of the ship.  On deck 4, they are the 10 most forward cabins on each side of the ship, from R2-R28 on the port side and R1-R31 on the starboard side.  On deck 5, they are the 18 most forward, with 9 on each side.  On deck 6, there are 6 on each side and on deck 7 there are 4 on each side, for a total of 58 PT cabins.

Very specifically I was asking if there was much difference between the cabin at the end of the hallway and the one 6-10 doors back, or towards mid-ship, when it comes to noise from the front of the ship. I do know they are all classified as forward cabins. 

20 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

At the end of the hallway it's a looong walk. Wait until you walk to the other end of the ship for something, realize you forgot something in your room and have to walk back to your room, then back to the other end of the ship again. If it's the front of the ship you may hear a lot of noise early on port mornings..for about an hour. I did it once and won't do it again.

I didn't find it to be that long of a walk. We always would walk the entire length of the hallway so we could use the aft staircase (we never use the elevators). Didn't bother me, but it could be tricky for mobility challenged.

I didn't notice any noise for longer than about 5 minutes or so -- definitely not an hour. Of course, the noise started when I was almost ready for breakfast, so it's possible the noise went on longer than I recall, but that we were no longer in the room by then. (We go to breakfast in the buffet on port mornings around 6:30 so we can be ready to get off around 7:30.)

2 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Very specifically I was asking if there was much difference between the cabin at the end of the hallway and the one 6-10 doors back, or towards mid-ship, when it comes to noise from the front of the ship. I do know they are all classified as forward cabins. 

I was in U17, so about where you were asking (I think mine was the furthest back on that deck) and the noise really didn't bother me at all. It's entirely possible it's much louder on Deck 4 (I was on 6) and all the way forward.

It was recommended to me that if I wanted to try out this type of cabin, I should choose the furthest back toward midship and the highest floor I could get.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I believe the Fascination and the Imagination are quite similar. We were in U17 on Deck 6, so a couple of decks up from the first floors -- I would imagine that any noise would be louder on Deck 4 or 5. But no, it wasn't a problem for us as early risers. Being awake at the time, we actually didn't really notice it other than "What's that noise?" which didn't last long anyway. Had we been asleep at the time, it might have been a bit more disconcerting to awake to. But if you're an early riser (particularly on port days) I couldn't imagine it would bother you.

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I was looking at booking deck 6 or 7, very front of the ship, if I book. How did you like the Imagination? I've been very tempted to grab a last minute offer and jump on the ship. 

7 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I didn't find it to be that long of a walk. We always would walk the entire length of the hallway so we could use the aft staircase (we never use the elevators). Didn't bother me, but it could be tricky for mobility challenged.

I didn't notice any noise for longer than about 5 minutes or so -- definitely not an hour. Of course, the noise started when I was almost ready for breakfast, so it's possible the noise went on longer than I recall, but that we were no longer in the room by then. (We go to breakfast in the buffet on port mornings around 6:30 so we can be ready to get off around 7:30.)

Yeah I was talking about having to make the walk three times in a row. And from the very front of the Riviera deck to the back of deck 9.

This noise definitely lasted at least 45 minutes every port morning on Elation.

We've been on both Inspiration and Imagination now, and we really liked them both! Only time it ever felt crowded (and this was over 4th of July, too!) was when we grabbed the only two loungers left in Serenity. And even that wasn't really crowded. We never had trouble finding places to sit throughout the ship and always got within the first 3 rows at the mainstage shows. Towards the back in the comedy club, but still a great view and had the booth to ourselves.

The longest I ever had to wait for a Guy's burger was less than 5 minutes, and that was only because they gave the last one of the previous batch to my husband and I had to wait for a fresh batch. 

The only line we experienced was waiting about 10 minutes for the first tender to Catalina (the line on Deck 3 seemed insane but once they started boarding it moved quickly) and then waiting to board the tender back from Catalina. I think we waited about 10 minutes (they are 15 minutes apart).

Embarkation was super efficient -- we entered the garage at 12:33 for a 12-12:30 appointment window. Got to security at 12:37 and they told us to go into the on-time line even though we were technically late. And "line" is using the term loosely, because we waited for exactly 20 seconds until the next agent was available. From there, we went through the screener, then walked continuously with our only stop being a photo until we were on the ship. We were upstairs finding a seat for lunch by 12:50.

Same with disembarkation. We'd intended to sleep in and leave at last call like we did on Inspiration with our kids, but because we happened to wake early anyway we went and got our wine, then went to breakfast at 6:20, then were off the ship about 3 minutes after they first called self-debark at 7:12 (it was supposed to start at 7:30).

Good thing we decided to go early, because it meant we were well outside of the zone where we would feel the earthquake by the time it happened.

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

This noise definitely lasted at least 45 minutes every port morning on Elation.

I don't doubt you're right. Like I said, I was likely up in breakfast during much of it. I only noticed it for less than 5 minutes. I'm not even sure what I heard lasted that long, but again, I'd left my room maybe 5 minutes after I first heard it, and then was up on Lido for the next 30-45 minutes.

4 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Good thing we decided to go early, because it meant we were well outside of the zone where we would feel the earthquake by the time it happened.

We were driving between Parker, AZ and Needles, CA when that happened. Trying to figure out why the car was shaking like it had a low tire. We got to feel the bigger one the next day on Mesquite, NV. Thought for a minute we were back on the cruise ship!

I love the ease of the Long Beach terminal. I've been eyeing the Catalina-Ensenada 4 nighters for a while now. But the price difference to just hop on the Splendor for 7 days has been so little that's what we did instead in the past. With the Panorama coming, the price difference is much bigger now. So I'm thinking the Imagination or Inspiration are in my future. After a cruise leaving from San Juan--that's the next one. 

Just gotta figure out the details.

I've done both the 3-nighter and the 4-nighter. This most recent (on Imagination) was the 4-nighter. We loved Catalina!

It was a nice little getaway. With kids and our jobs, it's harder to get away for 7 days, so 4 is perfect.

• Like 1

At this point, I'm thinking/planning on booking 4 Port hole rooms on the Sensation.  Yes, I know it is an older ship, but it is going the direction I haven't been to for many a year.  I have done the Port hole once or twice and like it, but cannot remember if it was a 1A, 4J, etc.  How do I know which one to ask/pick?  I don't know if the 1, 4, A, J stand for the deck floor or what?  Maybe someone here can "enlighten" me. 🙂

4 hours ago, beshears said:

At this point, I'm thinking/planning on booking 4 Port hole rooms on the Sensation.  Yes, I know it is an older ship, but it is going the direction I haven't been to for many a year.  I have done the Port hole once or twice and like it, but cannot remember if it was a 1A, 4J, etc.  How do I know which one to ask/pick?  I don't know if the 1, 4, A, J stand for the deck floor or what?  Maybe someone here can "enlighten" me. 🙂

In general this is the meaning of the categories:

1 - Is generally cabins with 2 beds that can't be combined to make a larger bed.  Sometimes upper and lower bunks.  On some ships they can have portholes.

4 - Inside cabin

PT - Porthole cabin - official porthole cabin. About the size of the ocean view but with portholes.  Beds can be configured as 2 twins or pushed together for larger bed.

6 - Ocean view

7 - Balcony on some ships

8 - Balcony

For the letters the lower the letter (A) the lower the cost and supposedly the less desirable cabin. Generally on a lower deck or forward or aft.  So a 4A would be a inside cabin most likely on the lowest passenger cabin deck.

5 hours ago, beshears said:

An add on to luv2travlnow post, a 4J is classified an inside, but has a window, at very front of ship. 

17 hours ago, beshears said:

1A cabins on the Sensation don't have portholes.  They are inside cabins with a twin bed and an upper pullman. Porthole cabins on the Sensation are PT cabins.

1 hour ago, Ellusionz said:

Anyone know if the porthole couches turned into beds are as comfortable as the actual beds? Do they use the same mattress?

No, they are covered in thick vinyl and hard as a rock. Look in the drawers underneath and see if a steward left an extra duvet or similar there and ask them to use it to make the bed. One large duvet folded in half lengthwise by the steward helps to soften the blow. Good luck. 

Luvtotranow, thank you for your explanation to my question.  As for what is in the Port hole room, I really don't care, as long as they have their "comfortable" beds, which I love!

Dukasugirl, I love Catalina as well.  We have cruised there a couple times too.

• Haha 1