ms Westerdam and Amsterdam in Juneau July 11, 2019

Scrapnana

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

BTW, that ugly black band around the stern of the Eclipse is (on the port side at least) is the tinted windows of BLU restaurant.  It's been like that forever but we really see it when she's stern to the camera at the AS dock.

Roy

I don't disagree that the exterior appearance of the Solistice Class ship's sterns are somewhat lacking.  But, those "tinted windows" hide a superior Steakhouse, the Tuscan Grill, that far exceeded any dining experience I have had at a Pinnacle Grill.  That was my experience when I sailed on Celebrity Eclipse.  

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Awright; quick one: the current Amsterdam and her older sister Rotterdam, both part of the four-ship "R"-class, are co-flag ships of the line. Which was HAL's flag ship prior to Rotterdam, as the class lead, joining in 1997?

Rotterdam V

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Himself said:

Spath was a good CD

You've been sailing HAL for quite a while.  I think he must have left HAL soon after Rotterdam V was retired as he says he was Disney's first Cruise Director and that would have been in 1998.  I have a bit of a special relationship with Rick.  In 2014 I did a triple cruise, Crystal Symphony to Crystal Serenity to Amsterdam.  Symphony's Cruise Director always said "If you've ever sailed with me on any cruise line, let me know".  I mentioned that I had sailed with Rick on Rotterdam V and he must have tipped Rick off because he stopped me as I was leaving the theater (I'm guessing he looked up my photo so he would recognize me) and we've shared that first meeting ever since.  Rick is the ultimate people person.

Roy

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Ever seen a very young Capt. Albert as a cadet?

HAL Captain Albert Schoonderbeek as cadet or 4-) on SADM IV in 1982.jpg

Nice picture!  He has changed a bit!  I was fortunate to be cruising with him onboard and enjoyed the HAL history lecture.    I’m looking forward to his post from Juneau showing up in my e-mail tomorrow!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

Roy, over on the thread for tomorrow - Kathi has no power or internet..

Yup.  I;m amazed at how good she did typing on the phone, especially getting the webcam address right.  Well, Westie is gone, thanks Kathi, Lou & Dave, and fellow addicts.

Roy