Shadowmeboy's Norwegian Dawn Canada/New England Pictorial Review

shadowmeboy

16 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Great pics so far. We were on same cruise as you... Cannot wait to relive cruise through your pictures and comments..

Hope you had an enjoyable time as we did!

16 hours ago, snowey22 said:

Thanks  for taking the time to do your reviews!  They are so detailed and I love “traveling” with you and Susan.  Hoping to someday cruising with the two of you.  We’ll be on the Dawn Feb 2020 for 14 days.. hubby and I are so excited !! Thanks again.

Thank you! We are always excited to meet people who read the reviews and enjoy them. In fact, we met someone at Paradise Point in St. Thomas when we were on the Norwegian Bliss cruise last November.

15 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

Thanks for the review.  Not planning a trip on this ship nor itinerary, but looking forward to seeing your trip.  Especially with all the photos.  May have to go back and see one of your old reviews. 

Your Welcome. Feel free to look back, I do these for me. I want to relive my trips and this is sort of a journal of sorts. If you all enjoy them, then great!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sailing Smooth said:

Traveling on the Dawn this December.  Love catching a glimpse at the Dailies.  Thanks!

Have fun!

6 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Thank you bags are cute. If you really want to make the crew happy, stick some money in there along with/in place of the chocolate. 

As I mentioned when I posted that we do put a tip in it. The feedback from the crew we have gotten after they have received a bag like a day or two later is that they love the chocolate. Its something most of them don't have onboard, when they go ashore its not to get chocolate generally. We want them to be special, but to each their own.

4 hours ago, gtaylor said:

How much did the Uber cost?

gary

The Uber was $73 including the tip. We took an Uber XL just to have room and space for baggage.

4 hours ago, 30palms said:

I love your reviews and am especially looking forward to this one since you’ll be visiting my home state, RI. 

Awesome! Loved Newport!

It was finally time to take our positions on Trace and Maria's aft balcony and enjoy the sail away from New York City.

IMG_8658-L.jpg

IMG_8659-L.jpg

Sailing down the Hudson

IMG_8660-L.jpg

We departed from Pier 90 of the New York Cruise Terminal 

IMG_8661-L.jpg

IMG_8662-L.jpg

Princess and the peace Boat were at Pier 88.

IMG_8663-L.jpg

I wish I had time to visit the Intrepid.

IMG_8664-L.jpg

IMG_8665-L.jpg

IMG_8666-L.jpg

We couldn't have asked for better sailaway weather.

IMG_8667-L.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_8679-L.jpg

IMG_8680-L.jpg

IMG_8682-L.jpg

One World Tower - we got to go up this later this trip!!!

IMG_8683-L.jpg

IMG_8684-L.jpg

IMG_8685-L.jpg

Trace playing tour guide.

IMG_8686-L.jpg

Lower Manhattan

IMG_8687-L.jpg

Communipaw Terminal (Jersey City Terminal) - Central Railroad of New Jersey's waterfront passenger terminal. I love seeing things like this and then doing a little research on what it is and learning something.

IMG_8688-L.jpg

• Like 3

IMG_8689-L.jpg

IMG_8690-L.jpg

Looking up the Hudson

IMG_8691-L.jpg

IMG_8692-L.jpg

First look at the Brooklyn Bridge. I loved David McCullough's book on it.

IMG_8693-L.jpg

IMG_8694-L.jpg

Wish we had time to ride the Staten Island Ferry. Next time.

IMG_8695-L.jpg

Ellis Island National Historic Park

IMG_0850%20%282%29-L.jpg

Lady Liberty

IMG_0851-L.jpg

IMG_8696-L.jpg

IMG_8698-L.jpg

IMG_8699-L.jpg

IMG_8700-L.jpg

Wow! So beautiful!

IMG_8701-L.jpg

• Like 2

Shadowmeboy, as always, you're reviews always wow us and never disappoint.  Love your photos of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. I can remember years ago (like back in 1995 or thereabout) I was stuck on the bottom level of the Verrazano in standstill traffic on the day before Thanksgiving because drivers were rubber-necking at the cruise ship that was about to transit under the bridge-----it was a Carnival ship of the Fantasy class era!   

I also appreciate your photos of Liberty State Park (Communipaw Terminal).  I have some wonderful photos of the Twin Towers from that vantage point from way back in 1989.  Never ever gave it a thought that they would ever not be there.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, purpleally said:

Seeing these pictures makes me want to sail from New York!

I loved it! It was so pretty, we couldn't have asked for a better day!

15 hours ago, Deb and Jack said:

Thanks for the memories. Sailed Gem to Canada and New England back in 15 and meeting all 4 of you last fall in the Bliss. Your reviews are amazing.  🙂

Thank you Deb! It was a lot of fun sailing with you! Glad to have you along!

15 hours ago, Jasonmom said:

Sailed into New York once.  One of those moments in life that can move you to tears.

Loving the pictures

Thank you. It was an awesome sailaway!

13 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Wow this makes me want to sail from NY also! We've been thinking about the Canada New England cruise, time to look into it!

It was a great itinerary. Port heavy, but awesome.

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Amazing pics.  Looking forward to more.

Thank you

1 hour ago, oncruisecontrol said:

Shadowmeboy, as always, you're reviews always wow us and never disappoint.  Love your photos of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. I can remember years ago (like back in 1995 or thereabout) I was stuck on the bottom level of the Verrazano in standstill traffic on the day before Thanksgiving because drivers were rubber-necking at the cruise ship that was about to transit under the bridge-----it was a Carnival ship of the Fantasy class era!   

I also appreciate your photos of Liberty State Park (Communipaw Terminal).  I have some wonderful photos of the Twin Towers from that vantage point from way back in 1989.  Never ever gave it a thought that they would ever not be there.

Thank you. Sometimes I don't know what I have until I look back at my pictures when I download them at home. I sometimes go how did I get that shot. That picture of the Communipaw Terminal was one of them.

I luckily have sailed out of Vancouver BC a few times. The Lions Gate bridge up there made for a lovely test subject for this sailaway.

31 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

Following. Great start as always. I hope the philly cheesesteak sandwich was better than it looked.

Thank you Andy. I can't remember if Trace liked it or not. 

Your seeing the pictures at the same time as everyone else, I haven't uploaded them to facebook, yet!

Dinner was at Moderno tonight.

IMG_0858-L.jpg

IMG_0859-L.jpg

Salad Bar

IMG_0860-L.jpg

IMG_0861-L.jpg

IMG_0862-L.jpg

IMG_0863-L.jpg

IMG_0864-L.jpg

IMG_0865-L.jpg

IMG_0866-L.jpg

Our Salad Plates

IMG_0867-L.jpg

IMG_0868-L.jpg

Raspberry Guava Mojito from Sugarcane - I heart this drink!

IMG_0870-L.jpg

IMG_0871-L.jpg

IMG_0872-L.jpg

IMG_0873-L.jpg

Papaya Cream

IMG_0874-L.jpg

Chocolate-Coconut Tres Leches Cake

So, Moderno is one of my favorite Specialty Restaurants. I got whenever I can. Unfortunately, all four of us were disappointed by undercooked food. Bacon wrapped sirloin with almost raw bacon, chewy meats, and others still mooing (not even rare meat) are just a few examples. It took over 30 minutes to get a supervisor up to the restaurant, and I am still disappointed. I may choose not to go to Moderno, but the Pineapple makes that a hard choice.

Time will tell.

After dinner, Susan and I headed back to the room and crashed. I was exhausted.

Edited by shadowmeboy

6 minutes ago, shadowmeboy said:

Dinner was at Moderno tonight.

So, Moderno is one of my favorite Specialty Restaurants. I got whenever I can. Unfortunately, all four of us were disappointed by undercooked food. Bacon wrapped sirloin with almost raw bacon, chewy meats, and others still mooing (not even rare meat) are just a few examples. It took over 30 minutes to get a supervisor up to the restaurant, and I am still disappointed. I may choose not to go to Moderno, but the Pineapple makes that a hard choice.

Time will tell.

After dinner, Susan and I headed back to the room and crashed. I was exhausted.

That was similar to my one and only experience with Moderno. 

Edited by fastpitchdad

I do agree paying attention to detail helps any company or business especially cruise lines.  I know the Dawn sails the Caribbean frequently but each boarding photo should reflect the itinerary you sail.  Its a tiny detail but just makes the boarding photo reflect the sailing.

I always thought Moderno was over-rated.  But not having a supervisor around is a sign of poor management.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1