Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
shadowmeboy

Shadowmeboy's Norwegian Dawn Canada/New England Pictorial Review

Recommended Posts

Great review!

 

Question about the Uber from EWR -- was there a designated spot you needed to be for Uber pick ups?  What was the approx cost? And are you planning to Uber it back from the Manhattan Cruise port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cruisegil said:

Actually, I have a few more questions.

1) Is there a way to help ensure one is off the ship (via tender) as early as possible, like a number or color group to get assigned by Guest Services when we first board, or is it just a huge free-for-all bottlenecked at the departure door?

2) If the itinerary states it's in port 8am-4pm, did it probably arrive overnight before 8:00 and passengers can expect to get off soon after 8? Think we could reasonably expect to be on land by 10:00am?

3) When they say the time of the last tender boat (i.e. 3:00pm), is that the boarding time or the time it actually departs the dock to the ship?

Thanks again; much appreciated!

 

1. Latitudes status, VIP/suite status, or early tender ticket number

 

2. the ship will probably be pulling in an hour or two before, they have get tenders in the water, on shore set up, to be ready to disembark passengers by 8. you should be able to get a shore by 10 but I can't guarantee it. see above #1, as they get off first + NCL shore excursions.

 

3. last tender from the shore is at 3pm due to getting everything back on the ship, ie the reverse of #2.

 

hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just to give you an update:

 

Susan and I left Seattle yesterday and flew to Phoenix. We are on our way to Scentsy Family reunion in Austin, TX. Why Phoenix? Grand Canyon of course! I will try my best to post as much as possible from our cruise as I am away. Time and internet connection will determine the success of that.

 

IMG_1559-L.jpg

 

IMG_1564-L.jpg

 

Mt. Rainier

 

IMG_1562-L.jpg

 

IMG_1567-L.jpg

 

IMG_1569-L.jpg

 

IMG_1573-L.jpg

 

IMG_1574-L.jpg

 

IMG_1576-L.jpg

 

IMG_1575-L.jpg

 

Hope you enjoy looking at those!

 

-Matthew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, xcell said:

Great review!

 

Question about the Uber from EWR -- was there a designated spot you needed to be for Uber pick ups?  What was the approx cost? And are you planning to Uber it back from the Manhattan Cruise port?

 

just outside the baggage claim doors but not in the taxi area. it was about 60 (uber xl) at the time we were traveling.

 

no we did not uber back from the cruise terminal. you will have to watch the review to see what we do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, shadowmeboy said:

 

1. Latitudes status, VIP/suite status, or early tender ticket number

 

2. the ship will probably be pulling in an hour or two before, they have get tenders in the water, on shore set up, to be ready to disembark passengers by 8. you should be able to get a shore by 10 but I can't guarantee it. see above #1, as they get off first + NCL shore excursions.

 

3. last tender from the shore is at 3pm due to getting everything back on the ship, ie the reverse of #2.

 

hope that helps

 

Thank you SO SO much for the info and details. Your answers are very helpful as we plan. Your reviews are awesome and informative. Thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us try to enjoy our cruises as much as you obviously enjoy yours. Happy traveling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 10:19 PM, shadowmeboy said:

US_CBP_Insp_pg%201-L.jpg

 

We received our US Customs instructions for the next day in Bar Harbor, Maine.

 

US_CBP_Insp_pg%202-L.jpg

 

IMG_8725-L.jpg

 

Pilot boat coming out to meet us.

 

IMG_8726-L.jpg

 

IMG_0997-L.jpg

 

Susan's breakfast appetizers

 

IMG_0998-L.jpg

 

Waffle and bacon

 

IMG_0999%20%282%29-L.jpg

 

Steak, eggs, and bacon for me.

 

IMG_8727-L.jpg

 

While we waited for priority disembarkation, we saw one of the production shows doing a rehearsal.

Loving the review. Thank you. We’re going this September.

the customs in Bar Harbor seems to indicate we’ll need passport, birth certificate, and state drivers license. Is this true? We don’t usually carry BC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fiftyguy said:

Loving the review. Thank you. We’re going this September.

the customs in Bar Harbor seems to indicate we’ll need passport, birth certificate, and state drivers license. Is this true? We don’t usually carry BC.

 

Read it this way:

required items 

1. Dawn key card 

and

2. Passport

or 

WHTI compliant document (enhanced drivers license; passport card; etc.)

or

drivers license and birth certificate (only on a closed loop itinerary ie leaves and returns to the same port)

 

hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 2:13 PM, cruisegil said:

Thanks so much for your quick responses! I did contact NCL (after a 45 minute hold!) and they mostly say to just check once we're onboard, which will be too late. The tour is a sail in the harbor and I've contacted them. They say we should be on dry land by 2:40 or earlier so guess we'll hoof it the .4 mile to Perrotti Park for the 3:00 tender boat. Risky I know but I think high chance it's doable, although just barely. I'm sure there are huge lines of passengers waiting to get on the last tender and am guessing as long as you're in line on time, they can't leave you behind. Thanks again so much for your help!!

I live in RI and know Newport well. Most of the companies who offer a harbor sail are located very close to Perotti Park where you’ll tender.  It’s a straight and easy walk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the review, as I do all your reviews.   As a native New Yorker, raised in NJ - I was very impressed by your identification of the NJ bridges and container ports, especially the Garden State Parkway Driscoll bridge.   Flying into Seattle, doubtful I could identify anything beyond the Space Needle and Mount Rainier and  I certainly couldn't name the bridges!  

Looking forward to the rest of the review.  Enjoy your convention.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 17cruisesnsl said:

Loving the review, as I do all your reviews.   As a native New Yorker, raised in NJ - I was very impressed by your identification of the NJ bridges and container ports, especially the Garden State Parkway Driscoll bridge.   Flying into Seattle, doubtful I could identify anything beyond the Space Needle and Mount Rainier and  I certainly couldn't name the bridges!  

Looking forward to the rest of the review.  Enjoy your convention.  

 

I try to make it a point to learn more about are looking at. I look at every picture several times, and I want to know more. What is that? Is a question I ask all the time. Therefore, I will use resources like a map to help me identify and know what I am looking at. The old train station at Liberty State Park is a perfect example, I didn't know what it was when the picture was shot. I learn a lot this way. People need to be learning everyday. Plus you never know when you might be on Jeopardy! Just kidding. 

 

Additionally, I feel this helps you the reader know what you are looking at as well! You are more engaged and it might spur some learning for you!

 

Thank you!

 

By the way, we are in Cortez, Colorado tonight. We went to Grand Canyon today along with 4 corners. Mesa Verde National Park tomorrow and the long drive into Texas!

 

- Matthew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 30palms said:

I live in RI and know Newport well. Most of the companies who offer a harbor sail are located very close to Perotti Park where you’ll tender.  It’s a straight and easy walk. 

Hello. Nice to get the opinion of someone so familiar with Newport. Thanks! Yes, I saw on Google maps that it was a short walk and that's the only reason my husband will probably risk the sail. Hopefully, it will return to shore on time at 2:30 and he can make the quick walk to Perrotti Park for the last tender boat in time. On another note, as someone familiar with the city, while my husband is on the sail I thought I'd shop around so any good streets/areas you can recommend nearby for neat little shops would be appreciated. I love unique item/shops to the area vs. designer stores (Prada, etc.) Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruisegil said:

Hello. Nice to get the opinion of someone so familiar with Newport. Thanks! Yes, I saw on Google maps that it was a short walk and that's the only reason my husband will probably risk the sail. Hopefully, it will return to shore on time at 2:30 and he can make the quick walk to Perrotti Park for the last tender boat in time. On another note, as someone familiar with the city, while my husband is on the sail I thought I'd shop around so any good streets/areas you can recommend nearby for neat little shops would be appreciated. I love unique item/shops to the area vs. designer stores (Prada, etc.) Thanks again!

Bowen’s Wharf and Bannister’s Wharf, Brick Marketplace andThames Street are all in walking distance and have great shops.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 30palms said:

Bowen’s Wharf and Bannister’s Wharf, Brick Marketplace andThames Street are all in walking distance and have great shops.  

Thank you! I look forward to checking them out.. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job with telling the story !!  Just wanted to say hi and enjoy your GC ... make sure you find that perfect spot for those sunset photos.  Don't worry about a good internet connection if you are staying inside the park with the lodging ... there isn't any, except maybe with VZW - couldn't get a AT&T, T-Mo or Sprint cellular tower anywhere, until we left the park then.  

 

Here are some of the ones we took back in 2014 ... offline Google Maps worked for navigation.  

IMG_20141031_091048.jpg

IMG_20141031_091513.jpg

IMG_20141031_110400.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reversing falls, we headed out to St. Martins.

 

IMG_8737-L.jpg

 

driving out there

 

IMG_8738-L.jpg

 

IMG_0941-L.jpg

 

IMG_8740-L.jpg

 

In St. Martins, the tide was out and the boats were on the harbor seabed

 

IMG_8741-L.jpg

 

IMG_8742-L.jpg

 

IMG_8743-L.jpg

 

IMG_8744-L.jpg

 

IMG_8745-L.jpg

 

local little shops

 

IMG_1004-L.jpg

 

IMG_1005-L.jpg

 

tide is starting to rise

 

IMG_8746-L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_8747-L.jpg

 

IMG_8748-L.jpg

 

old covered bridge

 

IMG_8749-L.jpg

 

IMG_8750-L.jpg

 

IMG_8751-L.jpg

 

IMG_1006-L.jpg

 

IMG_1007-L.jpg

 

IMG_8752-L.jpg

 

IMG_8753-L.jpg

 

Sea Caves at St. Martins

 

IMG_8754-L.jpg

 

IMG_8755-L.jpg

 

IMG_8756-L.jpg

 

IMG_8757-L.jpg

 

IMG_0949-L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_8758-L.jpg

 

We ate lunch at Seaside Restaurant near the Sea Caves

 

IMG_8766-L.jpg

 

IMG_0950-L.jpg

 

what a crew?

 

IMG_8761-L.jpg

 

IMG_8762-L.jpg

 

IMG_8763-L.jpg

 

IMG_8764-L.jpg

 

IMG_8765-L.jpg

 

IMG_1008%20%282%29-L.jpg

 

Susan got a crab and lobster roll with chowder

 

IMG_1009%20%282%29-L.jpg

 

Maria got a lobster roll with chowder

 

IMG_1010-L.jpg

 

I got a lobster roll with fries

 

IMG_1011-L.jpg

 

Trace got clam strips with poutine fries

 

IMG_0952-L.jpg

 

The chowder

 

IMG_1012-L.jpg

 

Lemon Meringue Pie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We returned to Saint John and returned to reversing falls. I didn't take any photos the second time. We then went to downtown Saint John and Susan and Maria went into the Saint John city market. Trace and I were pooped and remained in the car. We returned the car and headed back to the ship.

 

IMG_8767-L.jpg

 

treats when we got back in the room

 

1936940-L.jpg

 

tonights pictures

 

1937036-L.jpg

 

1937037-L.jpg

 

1936945-L.jpg

 

1937034-L.jpg

 

1937024-L.jpg

 

1937030-L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Trip update:

 

We are in Lubbock, TX tonight.

 

We went to Grand Canyon yesterday morning.

 

IMG_9382-L.jpg

 

IMG_9397-L.jpg

 

IMG_9400-L.jpg

 

IMG_9409-L.jpg

 

IMG_9429-L.jpg

 

Afterwards, we traveled from Grand Canyon to Cortez, CO

 

We had to stop at 4 corners!

 

IMG_9487-L.jpg

 

We spent the night last night at Cortez, CO.

 

Today (Monday) we started our day by visiting Mesa Verde National Park.

 

IMG_9496-L.jpg

 

IMG_9499-L.jpg

 

IMG_9525-L.jpg

 

Cliff Palace 

 

IMG_9526-L.jpg

 

IMG_9528-L.jpg

 

After Mesa Verde, we traveled to Lubbock, through Durango, Santa Fe, and other small cities and towns.

 

IMG_9637-L.jpg

 

We even saw the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile today!

 

We arrived into Lubbock at about 11pm. We are exhausted. Tomorrow we head to Austin!

 

To see all the pictures I have taken and uploaded to my smugmug album for this trip visit: https://shadowmeboy.smugmug.com/SFR-trip-2019/

 
Also, We vlogged this cruise and the videos are posting to my channnel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgkTG1CMMscH4EyqPnKWGfQ

 

The first vlog posted this morning: 

 

Edited by shadowmeboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow the 4 corners picture didn't make it in the update post from last night. Here it is! 

 

IMG_9467-L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimbri said:

Video was great!  Thank you.

 

you are welcome! the vlogs will come out every other day, so the next on is tomorrow (Wednesday @ 7am pdt)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_0967-L.jpg

 

Dinner was just Susan and I tonight at Aqua MDR.

 

IMG_1013-L.jpg

 

We both got the Bruschetta

 

IMG_1014-L.jpg

 

IMG_1015-L.jpg

 

I got the Caesar Salad

 

IMG_1016-L.jpg

 

Susan got some Asian udon noodle, shrimp. and pepper appetizer. I forgot to take a picture of the menu.

 

IMG_1017-L.jpg

 

Shrimp fettucine Alfredo

 

IMG_1018-L.jpg

 

classic New York strip steak

 

IMG_1019-L.jpg

 

dessert menu

 

IMG_1022-L.jpg

 

my dessert. I was protesting due to no warm chocolate lava cake on the menu.

 

IMG_1023-L.jpg

 

English Cherry Trifle for Susan

 

Our waiter disappears. We are trying to find him to give him his thank you bag. He finally comes and we give it to him. We start to get up and the matre'd says you can't leave yet. We say ok. Two minutes later they bring me a surprise.

 

IMG_1024-L.jpg

 

My warm chocolate lava cake! Thank you NCL Dawn Aqua team for making my night!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love all of your reviews.....you have a way of "making me" book my future cruises. I am always a year or so behind your visits but your photos and reviews always help my planning!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I love all of your reviews.....you have a way of "making me" book my future cruises. I am always a year or so behind your visits but your photos and reviews always help my planning!!

 

Thanks and I am glad to help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...