Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
travellovers2

Civitavecchia to Milan

Recommended Posts

We need to take a train when we disembark in Civitavecchia to Roma Termini then Milan 

How do we get to the train station in Civitavecchia? Are there cabs at the port or is it within walking distance?

Thank you for your help! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cabs will not take you the short distance (one mile) to the train station in Civitavecchia.

 

You can either book your train ticket with a bus ride to the station (use Civitavecchia Porto as your starting point on Trenitalia to accomplish this) or you can use the public bus to the station.  In either case you'd first use the free port shuttle bus from your ship to the port exit, where you'd change to the bus to the station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can take a train from Civitavecchia at 9:16am,  is this doable using the express walk off and taking the public bus for 2 euros? 

Edited by travellovers2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

We can take a train from Civitavecchia at 9:16am,  is this doable using the express walk off and taking the public bus for 2 euros? 

 

Impossible to say without knowing when your ship arrives.

 

I usually allow 45 minutes to run the circuit of the port shuttle and the public bus. However, the time could be more or less depending on wait times (for the port shuttle) and/or lines for the public bus, if it's busy and several ships are disembarking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 HAL ship arrives at 7:00 am. I am going to assume most of the people are taking the transfer bus to FCO. We have not done an express walk off in Civitavecchia before, so I am not sure how many people will do that. It takes 45 minutes to get to the train station after taking the shuttle and the bus? 

 

Maybe our best option is not to buy a ticket until we get to the train station and then buy the ticket to Milan when we get to Roma Termini.  The other option is to book the early transfer to FCO and from there take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini. At least in the transfer we know for sure what time we will leave the port. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

 HAL ship arrives at 7:00 am. I am going to assume most of the people are taking the transfer bus to FCO. We have not done an express walk off in Civitavecchia before, so I am not sure how many people will do that. It takes 45 minutes to get to the train station after taking the shuttle and the bus? 

 

Maybe our best option is not to buy a ticket until we get to the train station and then buy the ticket to Milan when we get to Roma Termini.  The other option is to book the early transfer to FCO and from there take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini. At least in the transfer we know for sure what time we will leave the port. Any thoughts?

 

I would not take the transfer to FCO and then to Rome -- it doesn't make sense as they are in somewhat different directions and the hassle factor would be about equal (IMO).

 

If you arrive Civitavecchia at 7:00 am and do express walk off you should have no problem making the 9:16 train, which really is the best option as it is the Frecciabianca (fast train). With this train you'll have assigned seats and also no long walk in Termini to reach your other train.

 

What I was saying in the previous post was that I would allow 45 minutes from boarding the port shuttle to arrival at the train station after taking the bus. Being compulsive, I might allow a bit more time to be on the safe side -- this is assuming you've got prepurchased tickets for the 9:16 train.

 

There are no guarantees, but based on my experiences in Civitavecchia you should have plenty of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travellovers2 said:

Maybe our best option is not to buy a ticket until we get to the train station and then buy the ticket to Milan when we get to Roma Termini.  

 

Whatever you do, buy both tickets at Civitavecchia.  There is no reason to waste time (and leave the secure area of Termini) making two purchases.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best to purchase everything in advance. That way, you do not have to leave secure area and don't have to validate your tickets as they would already be. Remember that the ticket for each leg is valid for 4 hours from the original time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Voelfgar said:

Best to purchase everything in advance. That way, you do not have to leave secure area and don't have to validate your tickets as they would already be. Remember that the ticket for each leg is valid for 4 hours from the original time.

 

This ONLY applies to the Regionale and Regionale Veloce trains with no seat reservations. It does not apply in OP's case -- they are looking at travel on the fast trains (Frecce) with reserved seats.l

 

Their tickets are only good for travel on that particular train,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

This ONLY applies to the Regionale and Regionale Veloce trains with no seat reservations. It does not apply in OP's case -- they are looking at travel on the fast trains (Frecce) with reserved seats.l

 

Their tickets are only good for travel on that particular train,

My bad was looking at a different ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...