Cruise Critic Community
ghstudio

Constellation adrift off genoa

Don’t panic! We are between portofino and villefranche on a planned sea day.   The seas are at most maybe 2 ft... really dead calm...,so we are just floating around at 0 knots.  It feels like we are tied up at a dock.   Talk about smooth sailing....

a new and first for us experience...adrift at sea.

36 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Don’t panic! We are between portofino and villefranche on a planned sea day.   The seas are at most maybe 2 ft... really dead calm...,so we are just floating around at 0 knots.  It feels like we are tied up at a dock.   Talk about smooth sailing....

LOL. "Don't panic!" That's FUNNY!!!

We are talking about CC. This place will be buzzing with angst, speculation, blame, and yes, panic in about 30 minutes.

Stay tuned.  

Edited by DirtyDawg

"Will my cruise that I plan to book in 2025 once itineraries are released be affected?  The ship is past its prime, and it's outrageous that they are potentially going to charge me an amount that I don't know yet, but is sure to be more than I want to pay, for a cruise that will be possibly ruined by periods of floating and/or calm seas.  I didn't buy 10 shares of dramamine stock for this!  I want compensation!"

How's that for panic?

3 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Just make sure that she doesn't drift into some rocks at Villefranche like Millennium did 12 years ago this month.  That sailing ended up being shortened and the following sailing cancelled so that the repairs to the damaged propellers could be done.

We were lucky in that we were on the 12 night Venice-Barcelona sailing prior to the one that was involved with the accident.....

Edited by mahdnc

We weren’t as Lucky?  We were on the century when the cruise was cancelled in villefranche after just one day.  It wasn’t pretty...it seemed that celebrity had meetings in hq and made every decision wrong.  Folks on ship were instructed to say nothing without hq approval. Ultimately, after 3 months and constant posts on cruisecritic, they made things right.... which is why we still cruise on celebrity.

Edited by ghstudio

Constellation did 3 knots while doing some circles showing on MarineTraffic, probably just avoiding bad weather or taking advantage of a sunny break before continuing to the next port?

Probably just wasting time to avoid an early arrival.

6 hours ago, Blazerboy said:

"Will my cruise that I plan to book in 2025 once itineraries are released be affected?  The ship is past its prime, and it's outrageous that they are potentially going to charge me an amount that I don't know yet, but is sure to be more than I want to pay, for a cruise that will be possibly ruined by periods of floating and/or calm seas.  I didn't buy 10 shares of dramamine stock for this!  I want compensation!"

How's that for panic?

You deserve compensation Andrew.   

8 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Hide the woman and children and all sharp objects.

And batten down those hatches! 😱

We were on the Constellation last month and had a similar situation at the same spot. I did a bridge tour at that time and the staff captain said they were drifting and doing circles to conserve fuel and not to arrive early. There's really no need for a sea day there as the ports are close together. We also had very good weather so it made for a nice day on the balcony.

ghstudio.....that must have been an interesting experience. How were you compensated? After just 1 day on the ship....and all those people w/o hotels and airfare changes.... 

Hi- wonderful post Andrew- how about a nice, nasty lawsuit?

For those " drifters"- remember on board the gold old Titanic- women and children first- or is it  " last" these days... ! It´s the captains that come first in our days!

56 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Hi- wonderful post Andrew- how about a nice, nasty lawsuit?

For those " drifters"- remember on board the gold old Titanic- women and children first- or is it  " last" these days... ! It´s the captains that come first in our days!

And pay for a lawyer?  I'm not made of money, you know!  😉

That may be Andrew- but later- after law suit- very possible you could buy one X´s ships!

Ah- isn´t it great to talk such nonsense from time to time! ?

15 hours ago, JBare said:

Probably just wasting time to avoid an early arrival.

10 hours ago, rdt10 said:

We were on the Constellation last month and had a similar situation at the same spot. I did a bridge tour at that time and the staff captain said they were drifting and doing circles to conserve fuel and not to arrive early. There's really no need for a sea day there as the ports are close together. We also had very good weather so it made for a nice day on the balcony.

We were on the ship last month as well! Same thing happened Captain said he was trying not to arrive early, lovely ports of call on those cruises! We will back on September/ October for similar b2b and I’m counting the days😄

22 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

LOL. "Don't panic!" That's FUNNY!!!

We are talking about CC. This place will be buzzing with angst, speculation, blame, and yes, panic in about 30 minutes.

Well I was locked out of CC yesterday, otherwise yes, I would have wondered if I should inform 2 friends who have just booked Constellation.

Edited by upwarduk

Maybe title of thread should be redone... As written, it  gives an impression Connie is in trouble!

We're on the ship right now and yes,  it was odd to be at full stop.     The seas were extremely calm though so it was actually very nice.    

We were stopped for a planned sea day....although stopped at sea is unusual but then the seas were so calm, why not just drift and save fuel.  Tonight we are sailing normally....