Just booked Vista in March, couple questions

jrobertson82

I cruised once, on Princess about 15 years ago. Havn't been since.

Just booked spring break cruise for me and my 2 teenage kids on the Vista. Couple questions..

1. Going to buy drink packages, is there any benefit to buying now or waiting? Do they offer sales periodically? same question for internet package.

2. FTTF says sold out. Any chance if I keep checking that it will become available? Or does it really sell out that early?

3. It says online checkin available on Dec 22 already, am I more likely to get time slot I want if I get online immediately that day? Ideally, I want to get to the port early and be on the boat as early as possible so I can get settled in. I dislike lines.... any advice anyone has on best way to streamline boarding the ship would be appreciated.

4. Is the social wifi package usable? My kids want to be able to post picture on instagram and facebook and what not.

5. It says that drink package (adult version) wont start until day 2 when sailing from galveston, can I still buy drinks outside of the package on day 1?

1 hour ago, jrobertson82 said:

Just booked spring break cruise for me and my 2 teenage kids on the Vista. Couple questions..

1. Going to buy drink packages, is there any benefit to buying now or waiting? Do they offer sales periodically? same question for internet package.  I have not seen sales per se, but you can purchase both at a discount before the cruise, vs purchasing onboard.

2. FTTF says sold out. Any chance if I keep checking that it will become available? Or does it really sell out that early? Definitely!  Check back often, especially as you get close to final payment date.

3. It says online checkin available on Dec 22 already, am I more likely to get time slot I want if I get online immediately that day? Ideally, I want to get to the port early and be on the boat as early as possible so I can get settled in. I dislike lines.... any advice anyone has on best way to streamline boarding the ship would be appreciated.  I believe that your best chances are to sign in at 12:01 am EST on your available check-in day.

4. Is the social wifi package usable? My kids want to be able to post picture on instagram and facebook and what not.  Maybe someone else can answer this -- It's been 5 years since I bought the wifi package and a lot has changed.

5. It says that drink package (adult version) wont start until day 2 when sailing from galveston, can I still buy drinks outside of the package on day 1?  Absolutely!  You just pay as you go the first day, Cheers kicks in at 6am on day 2

Social wifi is ok.  We only bought it once.  We were able to check twitter, post individual pics on FB/insta/snapchat.  But when we tried to post pictures of our day (so uploading a bunch at once), we'd start it, go get a late lunch, come back to our cabin and it would still be uploading.  This might have been due to it being right when everyone was getting back on the ship. We won't be buying it again- we're glad we tried it once, but pictures can wait until we're home to be uploaded.  Nice thing was iMessage worked with the social media package.  

If it were me, I would tell the kids to hold off posting pictures until you get back home.  The fewer people that know you're away from your house, the better off you  are.  After getting broken in to twice now, we only tell the person that's feeding our cats that we're going on vacation.  

On 7/11/2019 at 12:21 PM, jrobertson82 said:

1. Going to buy drink packages, is there any benefit to buying now or waiting? Do they offer sales periodically? same question for internet package.

2. FTTF says sold out. Any chance if I keep checking that it will become available? Or does it really sell out that early?

3. It says online checkin available on Dec 22 already, am I more likely to get time slot I want if I get online immediately that day? Ideally, I want to get to the port early and be on the boat as early as possible so I can get settled in. I dislike lines.... any advice anyone has on best way to streamline boarding the ship would be appreciated.

4. Is the social wifi package usable? My kids want to be able to post picture on instagram and facebook and what not.

5. It says that drink package (adult version) wont start until day 2 when sailing from galveston, can I still buy drinks outside of the package on day 1?

I don't know if Carnival has gotten their act together for embarkation day on the Vista but... Priority boarding order is

1. Platinum/Diamond; 2. Suite 3. Handicap 4. FTTF.  Normally there is a separate VIP area for Platinum/ Diamond and Suite guests. On our cruise (we were Platinum AND Suite) we were informed the VIP Lounge was not available and we were put on a line consisting of all (1, 2,3 & 4) with no preferable treatment.  I talked to a Diamond couple (58th Carnival cruise) and they were no happy "campers".

Bottom line is "Good Luck" with streamlining the boarding process.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:21 PM, jrobertson82 said:

1. Going to buy drink packages, is there any benefit to buying now or waiting? Do they offer sales periodically? same question for internet package.  There is never a sale on either the drink packages or the internet packages.  The only way to get a discount is to purchase prior to sailing.

2. FTTF says sold out. Any chance if I keep checking that it will become available? Or does it really sell out that early?  It probably really is sold out.  Keep checking.  Availability is based on the number of priority guests on the sailing.  Carnival may open more up, or people may cancel it.  I've seen it become available again.

3. It says online checkin available on Dec 22 already, am I more likely to get time slot I want if I get online immediately that day? Ideally, I want to get to the port early and be on the boat as early as possible so I can get settled in. I dislike lines.... any advice anyone has on best way to streamline boarding the ship would be appreciated.  Yes, the earlier you check in, the earlier arrival appointment you will be able to get.  Honestly, with the new staggered arrival and streamlined port check in process, it is pretty much as smooth as it can be, given that you are dealing with several thousand people who all want to get their vacation started.

4. Is the social wifi package usable? My kids want to be able to post picture on instagram and facebook and what not.  DH has used the social media package before and been fine with it.  It is my understanding that the Vista has the enhanced wifi, so they really shouldn't have any problems.

5. It says that drink package (adult version) wont start until day 2 when sailing from galveston, can I still buy drinks outside of the package on day 1?  Carnival is always happy to take your money 🙂  

Have a great cruise.