Happy Birthday from Celebrity.....

pl281

So we are currently on the Edge in a Sky Suite and our son just turned 6 today.

1) Our butler put up a happy birthday banner / balloons over all the room while we were out today this was great

2) Our butler worked with Luminae to have a cake done for our son - he doesn't do chocolate or ice cream cake - The did a REALLY nice cake - I had just asked for a simple vanilla / yellow cake - they went above and beyond......

And finally.... since they had flagged the reservation with birthday celebration.... we can back to the room to find the attached photo.....

I stopped by Guest Services to say thank you and suggested that they check the age of the passenger before just delivering a bottle of wine

66756944_10219609506926256_4840439979521867776_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No....The wine was never for your son, the staff knew you, the parents, would need it on the balcony after looking after an excited little boy all day!

Seriously, so nice you are being well looked after, I hope you all enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

No....The wine was never for your son, the staff knew you, the parents, would need it on the balcony after looking after an excited little boy all day!

This would be a great thought except Mommy doesn't drink at all - and Daddy isn't going to do an entire bottle by himself - we will wrap it / pack it and bring it home with us

Phoenix - 

It really is more an FYI.... I would have liked if they could have done a more age appropriate gift other than the wine...like a toy ship or a clothing item - 

it's no biggie - as I said we got a laugh out of it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warmwinds said:

Wow.  Old saying...never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I agree - Wow!  An act of hospitality kindness gets reported to guest services.  Wow.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
added more information.
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, pl281 said:

So we are currently on the Edge in a Sky Suite and our son just turned 6 today.

1) Our butler put up a happy birthday banner / balloons over all the room while we were out today this was great

2) Our butler worked with Luminae to have a cake done for our son - he doesn't do chocolate or ice cream cake - The did a REALLY nice cake - I had just asked for a simple vanilla / yellow cake - they went above and beyond......

And finally.... since they had flagged the reservation with birthday celebration.... we can back to the room to find the attached photo.....

I stopped by Guest Services to say thank you and suggested that they check the age of the passenger before just delivering a bottle of wine

66756944_10219609506926256_4840439979521867776_n.jpg

While this is funny, it shows how celebrity is failing in the quest to win over the young families with children they are trying so hard to appeal to. They have to move away from “adults only” thinking to embrace kids being on the ship and being a major part of the cruise. I 100% would have done the same thing. It’s not a big deal, but it is a learning experience. 

Edited by Willow1213

Room stewards can gift items such as wine or food.  These staff members can't run to the gift shop and pick out a toy ship or a tee shirt.  The wine was a thoughtful gesture which was not received gracefully. These guests were in a suite and just guessing that they paid $10K for the week.  How much does their room steward make per year?  $30K?  Maybe $40K?  I am sure when the family returned to their cabin the child saw the cake and he/she never noticed the wine.  The wine should have been gratefully accepted in the spirit in which it was given.

Let them eat cake - First world problems

• Like 5

What do you mean the wine iisn’t for the birthday kid? Heck, introduce the 6yr old to a nice glass - cut it with a bit of ginger ale and boy, he’ll love it!!!!

And if you aren’t into that, just check if I’m aboard and what my room number is and.......drop it off!!

Den

I’m also a little bit taken back by this I have been on a birthday cruise before also and have never received that in my sky suite nor did I ever expect any extra gifts or perks I think they went way beyond what they needed to to make him feel special !

• Like 4

Ok - 

1) I WASN'T Complaining ...... We thought it was nice

2) The first words out of my mouth when I went to guest services was Thank You.... i mention to them that this was for my 6 year out of the fact that I read on cruise critic all the time about how minor children can be in a next door / across the hall room. And just wanted them to be aware that they delivered wine to a minor.

If Celebrity delivered a bottle of wine to one of these rooms and the kids drank the wine because they didn't know. EVERYONE on this board would be all over celebrity about how could they do something like that.

My point of this post was again that we thought it was amusing to get the bottle of wine (which we weren't expecting) and got a good laugh and thought others might as well.

Someone had asked "what would I have liked" - So I answered that question - quite frankly I wasn't expecting ANYTHING

OMG - your 6 year old would not have been in a room by himself or with another minor,  Seriously, you had a butler who knew exactly who was in the room.   You are on the Edge in EUROPE.  Wine is not a big deal there.  Acknowledge that you probably should not have complained about the gift of a bottle of wine.  A crew member did something nice for you and your family.  Say thank you and return home with a nice story.

You may not have been expecting anything, but you complained about what you did get. 

• Like 3

This was not from the butler it was from Guest Services - There is a card on the bottle with his name even so it was specifically sent to HIM - There have been stories of young teenagers being in a room on their own. As I said if that had been done and the teenager got drunk and something happened. This board would be all over celebrity for not being on top of things.....

Please understand the point was NOT to complain but to share a good laugh.....I gave constructive feedback to Guest Service so that in the future the are aware. 

Interesting.

I think it may be difficult to think of how you are in a foreign country, and likely being served by a crew that is largely not American, and yet feel like the ship should operate with our Puritanical rooted American beliefs because it is an American cruise line. Celebrity is right? IDK but the English spoken as the first language on board can make it feel that way. And our American culture lumps alcohol in general into one big category.

Wine is different in Europe. In 2016, Italy had a proposition to start teaching 6 year olds an hour weekly about wine culture. Mainly to show the importance of wine in Italy but still... Wine is usually drunk with food and shared. Often children are given watered wine with family meals. The in room dessert and wine for a family having a celebration would seem quite normal for most Europeans...at least to my knowledge. And certainly, the thought would never be that the bottle would be for one person, regardless of age...the intent was for sharing good cheer on a celebratory day.

So while it makes perfect sense for you to have the “can you believe they did this?” incredulous question...what a laugh...it really doesn’t strike me as out of the ordinary for where you are in the world. I’m actually thinking about how this gesture reflects the level of service and care that so many miss from bygone days of cruising. Cheers! Hope you continue to have what is sounding like a lovely cruise.