When will they replace the old granduer from Baltimore port?

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No redeployment plans have been publicly revealed by the cruise line.

Thx i have been on it twice and i liked it but would like to see a different ship at least at this port. 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Thx i have been on it twice and i liked it but would like to see a different ship at least at this port. 

She gets very good reviews and locals seem to like the ship and crew.  If we can work it into our schedule, we want to do GR out of Baltimore at least once.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

The ship is near 35 years old or something like that, would like to know when a different ship will be going out of Baltimore as i live an hour away. Thx. G

She was put into service in 1996. So that puts ber about 23 years old.

• Like 2

Larger ships can't fit under the Bay bridge.  Until they get around to building the long-discussed new port below the bridge she's the best alternative.  We first sailed her in '98 and while she hasn't changed much she retains a lot of character newer ships lack.

Love sailing from Baltimore.  Easiest parking

• Like 5

RCCL has said more than once that Radiance class ships will fit under that bridge. Too bad we have a shortage of them. This is the Bay Bridge near Annapolis from Grandeur.

R&D

Bay Bridges.jpg

Edited by Pumbaamd
  • Like 2

We can drive to the Port of Baltimore in 90 minutes and will be sailing on her for the eighth time next month.  She was our first RCI cruise and is a classic.  I do however hope another RCI ship will eventually sail from there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

Not sure where you live but I know when Cape Liberty isn't that far from Baltimore... 

Not sure if this is meant for me but.....yes Cape Liberty is four hours from Baltimore and a four-hour drive for us.  We often sail from NJ.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

She gets very good reviews and locals seem to like the ship and crew.  If we can work it into our schedule, we want to do GR out of Baltimore at least once.

You really should.  Great ship.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pumbaamd said:

RCCL has said more than once that Radiance class ships will fit under that bridge. Too bad we have a shortage of them. This is the Bay Bridge near Annapolis from Grandeur.

R&D

Bay Bridges.jpg

Great shot!  I took a similar one in sepia 13 years ago while sailing under the bridge.

DSC00094 - Copy (2).JPG

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Pumbaamd said:

R&D

Bay Bridges.jpg

Got that right, half the time we dont even have one of Class sailing out of US And starting next yr Vision taking over the 10/11 nite out of Ft Lauderdale. Last time I sailed that Class was 20yrs ago...

Edited by ONECRUISER

We sail out of Baltimore often.  We've always heard that it was the Key Bridge and not the Bay Bridge that is the problem.  She only clears the Key Bridge by 13 feet.

16 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Got that right, half the time we dont even have one of Class sailing out of US And starting next yr Vision taking over the 10/11 nite out of Ft Lauderdale. Last time I sailed that Class was 20yrs ago...

Pretty sure Alaska is US😉

Just now, biomedbob said:

I'd rather cruise under it rather than over it.  It's scary!

Its uglier than it is scary. Doesn't it have 6 or 7 different types of bridges cobbled together. 

They used to let you walk one side once a year

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure Alaska is US😉

Oops, should said Continental US...or warm Ports. Just upset lost my regular Fall sailings on Serenade, though scored B2B 10/11 nite on Vision corner/Aft Nov2020

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

The ship is near 35 years old or something like that, would like to know when a different ship will be going out of Baltimore as i live an hour away. Thx. G

Hopefully never.  We love this boat.  We love the room we always stay in.  Been on other 'newer' boats....they are more like a NYC hotel than a cruising experience.  It isn't the newest, the biggest, but to us...it's the best.

DSC02007.JPG

DSC02013.JPG

PH000528.JPG

DSC02287.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

You should.  Going down the Chesapeake Bay is great, and so is the ship.

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Its uglier than it is scary. Doesn't it have 6 or 7 different types of bridges cobbled together. 

They used to let you walk one side once a year

I have walked it.  I may be prejudiced because my dad worked for the company that designed the second bridge, but I think it is beautiful.  One of the reasons I wanted to take the Grandeur was to go under it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 487 said:

We sail out of Baltimore often.  We've always heard that it was the Key Bridge and not the Bay Bridge that is the problem.  She only clears the Key Bridge by 13 feet.

You are correct. The Bay Bridge is not the problem; it's the Key Bridge.

1 hour ago, 487 said:

The Key Bridge is the higher of the two with a vertical clearance of 185', while the Bay Bridge has a vertical clearance of 182'.  Although I don't know what the actual permitted air draft is, I would think that it is around 5' to 7' less than the vertical clearance.

Edited by BillB48