When will they replace the old granduer from Baltimore port?

5 hours ago, SRF said:

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't mention them.  Makes it harder for us to book them. 😄

Just did the April 12 nighter.  NO suites available to repeat in 2020, but have booked it for 2021. 😄

taking my first 12 nter on her next November. so excited.

I love Grandeur and have sailed on her over 40 times.  Yes, she is showing her age, but aren’t we all!  I am glad that, if all goes according to plan, it will be on Grandeur that I will  hit Pinnacle in September.

The other topic — time in Bermuda.  On my upcoming Adventure cruise we arrive in Bermuda at 8 am and leave at 5 pm.  This is on an eight day cruise.  Four total sea days which is fine with me.  But that port time I am sure is difficult for those wanting to do some activities that day. 

I just don’t want to see Royal pull out of Baltimore.  Very convenient for us and under a two hour drive.  Katherine 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Will I see you on the Feb 8 cruise?

4 hours ago, retiredgram said:

Don't know about Merion-Mom, but you'll see us. :classic_biggrin:

Not on February 8.  I would just have disembarked from a month on Anthem.  😉  Doing a couple of 8 nighters instead, February 20 & 28.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Same hull? 

Same hull was something that was posted many times on Cruise Critic and other sites back in the day. That is where I got that from. Nobody ever challenged that. It may be a legend but whether the hull is the same design or not I would still call them semi sisters because of the specifications. A lot of the interior layout is similiar. The tonnage and dimensions are very close. Also they were both speedy classes of ship because of the Gas Turbines.

Class and type: Radiance class cruise ship
Tonnage: 90,090 GT
Length: 293.2 m (962 ft)[1]
Beam: 32.2 m (106 ft)[1]
Draft: 8.5 m (28 ft)[1]
Decks: 13 (12 guest accessible)[2]
Speed: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)
Capacity: 2,501 passengers
Crew: 859

Class and type: Millennium-class cruise ship
Tonnage: 90,963 GT
Length: 964.6 ft (294 m)
Beam: 105.6 ft (32 m)
Draught: 26 ft (8 m)
Draft: 26.3 ft (8 m)
Decks: 11 (passenger accessible)

Speed: 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)
Capacity: 2,138 passengers
Crew: 920-999
Edited by Charles4515

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Same hull was something that was posted many times on Cruise Critic and other sites back in the day. That is where I got that from. Nobody ever challenged that. It may be a legend but whether the hull is the same design or not I would still call them semi sisters because of the specifications. A lot of the interior layout is similiar. The tonnage and dimensions are very close. Also they were both speedy classes of ship because of the Gas Turbines.

Class and type: Radiance class cruise ship
Tonnage: 90,090 GT
Length: 293.2 m (962 ft)[1]
Beam: 32.2 m (106 ft)[1]
Draft: 8.5 m (28 ft)[1]
Decks: 13 (12 guest accessible)[2]
Speed: 25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)
Capacity: 2,501 passengers
Crew: 859

Class and type: Millennium-class cruise ship
Tonnage: 90,963 GT
Length: 964.6 ft (294 m)
Beam: 105.6 ft (32 m)
Draught: 26 ft (8 m)
Draft: 26.3 ft (8 m)
Decks: 11 (passenger accessible)

Speed: 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)
Capacity: 2,138 passengers
Crew: 920-999

IME, the comparison phrase I have heard in reference to X & RC class ships, is "Quantum class is the bastard child of Solstice and Radiance class."  😄

• Like 1

I suppose there's factors like ship-building capacity to consider, but I don't really see why RCCL couldn't invest in new ships that were wider/longer but not as tall as Oasis/Quantum so they would be able to navigate under some of the lower bridges that are likely to be around for a long time at many ports they currently or would prospectively serve.

Grandeur needs some work. I was on her in February, and almost every outdoor area that was covered was in need of some serious scraping of all the paint on the ceilings and replacement. There's always something needing that sort of care, but this was every single square foot was obviously flaking. Elevators that never work for the entire sailing are another issue. Undoubtedly areas we don't normally see have mechanical issues as well.

The differences between The Radiance class and the Millennium are insignificant.  I have seen lengths for the Radiance class ship at 963 ,964 and 965 again, no more than a rounding error for practical purposes.  The fact is both class of ships were built to utilize the maximum dimensions for the legacy locks at the Panama Canal.  Those dimensions for passenger ships and container ships are 965x106.

The other items that makes them "semi sisters" besides the near identical dimensions and tonnage is they both have gas turbines for the prime mover.  While they both have podded propulsion, the Radiance class has ABB's azipods and the Millie class has Rolls Royce's Mermaid pods.  The RR Mermaid pods have had many more problems than ABB's azipods.  I would think if Celebrity had a do-over in choice of pods, they might have made another selection.

Edited by BillB48
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Well you are wrong. The Radiance-class were built between 2001 - 2004 in Papenburg Germany by Meyer Werft.

The Millennium-class ships were built between 1999 and 2002 at Chantiers de l’Atlantique in Saint Nazaire, France.

8 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

Same hull? 

celebrity-infinity-celebrity-cruises-pic

o_radiance_stern_q_star_-654x491.jpg

Tough room

5 hours ago, dswallow said:

I suppose there's factors like ship-building capacity to consider, but I don't really see why RCCL couldn't invest in new ships that were wider/longer but not as tall as Oasis/Quantum so they would be able to navigate under some of the lower bridges that are likely to be around for a long time at many ports they currently or would prospectively serve.

Grandeur needs some work. I was on her in February, and almost every outdoor area that was covered was in need of some serious scraping of all the paint on the ceilings and replacement. There's always something needing that sort of care, but this was every single square foot was obviously flaking. Elevators that never work for the entire sailing are another issue. Undoubtedly areas we don't normally see have mechanical issues as well.

Did you miss the posts earlier in this thread saying that they have been replacing elevators over the past couple  of weeks?

8 hours ago, dswallow said:

I guess you don't know she had a dry dock in March.  And it was reported in this thread that they have replaced the 4 aft elevators (non-glass ones).

We were on her in April and saw NONE of the issues you are reporting.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:49 PM, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure Radiance jet fuel is pricey. 

Marine gas turbines, while similar to jet aircraft engines, are designed to run on diesel fuel not jet fuel.  Though diesel is more expensive than residual fuel, and the gas turbines, unless run at full load are very fuel inefficient.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 7:08 PM, biomedbob said:

I'd rather cruise under it rather than over it.  It's scary!

ABSOLUTELY!  I HATE driving over the Bay Bridge.  I developed a height phobia because of that bridge -- and the scenic drive to Hearst Mansion on PCH in California.  LOL

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Marine gas turbines, while similar to jet aircraft engines, are designed to run on diesel fuel not jet fuel.  Though diesel is more expensive than residual fuel, and the gas turbines, unless run at full load are very fuel inefficient.

Gas turbine engines run on just about any liquid that burns. It is a continuous  combustion process, once you ignite it and it starts burning, you just spray more fuel into the combustion chamber.  A gas turbine will run on natural gas, diesel, gasoline, whatever you have available.  Jet fuel, used in aviation is basically kerosene that is formulated primarily to handle the extreme low temperatures of high altitude flight.

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

Gas turbine engines run on just about any liquid that burns. It is a continuous  combustion process, once you ignite it and it starts burning, you just spray more fuel into the combustion chamber.  A gas turbine will run on natural gas, diesel, gasoline, whatever you have available.  Jet fuel, used in aviation is basically kerosene that is formulated primarily to handle the extreme low temperatures of high altitude flight.

The major difference is in turbine blade metallurgy, turbines have to have blades made or coated for the combustion temperatures that their particular fuel generates.  The US Navy spent a lot of money and swapped out a lot of experimental gas turbines in the old USNS Callaghan.

Edited by chengkp75

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

The major difference is in turbine blade metallurgy, turbines have to have blades made or coated for the combustion temperatures that their particular fuel generates.  The US Navy spent a lot of money and swapped out a lot of experimental gas turbines in the old USNS Callaghan.

I was a performance engineer, not a materials engineer. Point was, you do not need to burn JP fuel.

20 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

I love Grandeur and have sailed on her over 40 times.  Yes, she is showing her age, but aren’t we all!  I am glad that, if all goes according to plan, it will be on Grandeur that I will  hit Pinnacle in September.

The other topic — time in Bermuda.  On my upcoming Adventure cruise we arrive in Bermuda at 8 am and leave at 5 pm.  This is on an eight day cruise.  Four total sea days which is fine with me.  But that port time I am sure is difficult for those wanting to do some activities that day. 

I just don’t want to see Royal pull out of Baltimore.  Very convenient for us and under a two hour drive.  Katherine 

September 2019 or 2020?  

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Tough room

Tough site.

M class and Radiance class are the same in that they are built to Panamax standards and both have cabins, restaurants, pools and a solarium.  Beyond that they are wildly different. 

• Like 2