When will they replace the old granduer from Baltimore port?

2 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

We all know that sometime in the future, the Grandeur will be retired :classic_sad:.  Hopefully when that time comes, Royal will replace her with another at the Port of Baltimore.

Sad to see any of the sweet little Vision class ships leave us (I still miss Legend)....and at the same time MJ sale was cancelled and they bought back maintenance troubled Empress.  😞 

Edited by island lady

For now Royal makes a profit running Grandeur from Baltimore.  Maybe not as much as other ships in other places but a profit none the less.  

It doesn't make sense to move a ship that earns more money elsewhere and replace Grandeur just to move ships around, so Grandeur remains in place as a hometown favorite.

At some point as Grandeur continues to age it won't make business sense to keep her.  Anyone who has ever owned an older car knows this same truth.  They start to require more maintenance and are not as efficient as something newer.

When that is and what happens next is anyone's guess. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Tough site.

M class and Radiance class are the same in that they are built to Panamax standards and both have cabins, restaurants, pools and a solarium.  Beyond that they are wildly different. 

Agree. Well said...

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The major difference is in turbine blade metallurgy, turbines have to have blades made or coated for the combustion temperatures that their particular fuel generates.  The US Navy spent a lot of money and swapped out a lot of experimental gas turbines in the old USNS Callaghan.

My son tells me all the destroyers and cruisers in his carrier group used the same fuel as as the jets.  So his ship is really a high speed tanker 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

My son tells me all the destroyers and cruisers in his carrier group used the same fuel as as the jets.  So his ship is really a high speed tanker 🤣

Back in my day, the Navy used DFM (diesel fuel, marine) for ships and jet fuel for aircraft.  So, for many years, the marine gas turbines ran on DFM.  Then they wanted to go to a single fuel, so they developed JP-5, which is a blend somewhat between kerosene and diesel, and was desirable for use by carrier aircraft because of its higher flash point (doesn't catch fire as easily).  So, naval vessels now use JP-5 exclusively for ships and aircraft.  However, commercial aircraft use Jet A or Jet A-1, which is a more volatile fuel, and commercial marine gas turbines use MGO (marine gas oil, or #2 diesel as its known in the US), which is similar to DFM.

• Like 1