Canyon Ranch Spa going away

LesSails80435

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

or maybe they should just fire the stylist  not the whole company 🙄

The story is awful and it’s not just about the stylists making a mistake rather about the CR company handling the whole situation badly. I feel sorry for Maverick Cruiser’s experiences.

• Like 2

LHT28, holy smokes what a terrible experience! I am so sorry you went through that. . . Just awful!

When not on Oceania, I have learned that starting the transaction with an explanation that I am not interested in buying any products, that I can buy the online once back home, and I don’t have luggage room- all of which always has the benefit of being true. I have even stated that it stresses me to get a sales pitch, and I am there to relax. Most staff, including Steiner, respect my statements; I just hate having to go through that soliloquy. Shouldn’t have to, actually.

i have enjoyed reading everyone else’s thought and perspectives on this topic!

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2019 at 7:18 PM, Paulchili said:

But - will it come back after the new provider starts? 😊

I seriously doubt that - it was a money saving move (just like lowering the OBC) 😒

Paul - Just curious.  If Canyon Ranch is a private/separate concession, it seems like they're paying Regent/Oceania to be on the ships and not the other way around, right?  It isn't "costing" Oceania anything for Canyon Ranch to be on the ships.  If anything, in some small/weird/non-quantifiable way, the fact that Canyon Ranch (along with their name recognition that Oceania uses in all their marketing literature) probably contributes to Oceania's overall profits and branding efforts.  That would make (Canyon Ranch) a "profit contributor" rather than a "cost drain".  Presumably, any other spa provider (like Steiner) is also going to be paying NCL/Oceania/Regent for the "privilege" of being on their ships, so how would this (elimination of Canyon Ranch) be a "cost savings" for Oceania - particularly if Steiner wasn't going to bring in as much money?  Regards.

It’s not the mere presence of spa on the ship that is costing Oceania money - it is the 2 free spa sessions (valued at $460) that Oceania used to give passengers with Gold or above on each cruise.

These days there are LOTS of O cruisers that are Gold and above and thus O saves all that money. This is in addition to reducing OBC for each loyalty level.

31 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It’s not the mere presence of spa on the ship that is costing Oceania money - it is the 2 free spa sessions (valued at $460) that Oceania used to give passengers with Gold or above on each cruise.

These days there are LOTS of O cruisers that are Gold and above and thus O saves all that money. This is in addition to reducing OBC for each loyalty level.

I think  it works that way with most cruise lines...  the more PAX in the higher loyalty bracket  the line start moving the goal post

I remember reading on Princess (I think)  those that were Diamond used to get special perks  then so many Pax  reached Diamond status  they raise  the requirements to reach Diamond

Of course it is just my opinion

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Seems to me to be bad business.   Maybe OK for them in the short run, but bad for the future.  Just my opinion.  No loyalty for their best customers.   Could come back to haunt them.  

On 7/12/2019 at 2:44 PM, chelseabelsea said:

Personally, I take this as very bad news! Allow me to explain; first, I must say that I, too, found the continuous price increases for Canyon Ranch annoying and eventually it got to the point where I purposefully limited my amount of spa services each cruise. The prices finally eclipsed those at my local Red Door spa here in Washington DC, which is quite expensive. Having said that, I must say that I found the massage therapists onboard with CR to be outstanding, and most cruises I was on, there was at least one CR team member who was cross- trained as a physical therapist. I had consistently stellar Canyon Ranch spa experiences (and interactions with CR staff) for the last 12 years that we have been sailing with Oceania.

Anyways, the reason I think this is bad news is based on our experiences from many years ago when RCCL purchased Celebrity, then changed out the spa teams - and the sales ethos changed, as well. The Steiner spa crew got VERY pushy with selling products, and that was a harbinger of things to come. After that move, we noticed the RCCL influence in downsizing Celebrity waitstaff, which meant service went downhill in dining venues and bars. Next up, ship maintenance across Celebrity noticeably declined. Celebrity eventually went so far downhill that we quit sailing with them altogether. This is the basis for my reaction to this news- I was fearful that NCL would similarly ruin Oceania. We are O devotees, with more than 20 cruises on the books. I really, really hope I am wrong, but I am concerned about this being the first big negative change, and I pray we won’t see more à la RCCL/Celebrity.

Just my two cents, folks....submitted with all due respect for everyone else’s opinions 😊

Just for the record. Celebrity uses Canyon Ranch and has for years. 

Truthfully I think most spas on ships are similar - the waiting lounge and locker rooms are always lush and lovely, the steam rooms are going to stay the same, and the treatments will be as good or bad as the individual technicians.  I remain immune from the sales pitch, by simply telling them early on not to try to sell me stuff, since I have shelves full of unused spa products at home, and no time nor inclination to use them unless I'm on vacation.  I agree that the service menu is dangerously expensive, but since we only cruise about every 1.5 years, I consider it a manageable luxury!   Let's not worry about the entire experience being ruined by a new spa operator.  It'll no doubt be just fine, you'll see.    

I see there is no longer a price list link from the Oceania site. There is a menu of services link but no prices. Are we supposed to guess at it, or if we have to ask can't afford it?

I've got a price list from 2017. Does anyone have one more current? 

14 minutes ago, ORV said:

I see there is no longer a price list link from the Oceania site. There is a menu of services link but no prices. Are we supposed to guess at it, or if we have to ask can't afford it?

I've got a price list from 2017. Does anyone have one more current? 

Link to Canyon Ranch, Oceania below.  Select ship, then go ALL the way to the bottom(last page).   https://www.canyonranch.com/at-sea/oceania/

IMHO, after living within 10 miles of CR in Tucson, and going there many times, they sold out last year to new owners and per friends, they seem to be real money hungry now.   Sad, used to be very good.   

My personal guess is that CR and Oceania had a term contract for services. The contract was nearing expiration and Oceania decided to bid it out in an attempt to maximize revenues. CR, having years of experience on the revenue side, was outbid by the newcomer without such O experience.

The newcomer will now have to meet his costs and revenue projections. It’s called business. My guess: except spa cost increases sooner rather than later. 

13 hours ago, pinotlover said:

My personal guess is that CR and Oceania had a term contract for services. The contract was nearing expiration and Oceania decided to bid it out in an attempt to maximize revenues. CR, having years of experience on the revenue side, was outbid by the newcomer without such O experience.

The newcomer will now have to meet his costs and revenue projections. It’s called business. My guess: except spa cost increases sooner rather than later. 

You may be correct. On the other hand, spa prices on Crystal operated by Mandara sister company Steiner is lower than CR.

sort of OT   but does anyone remember  what the spa contractor was  way back?

I seem to recall it was Steiner /Mandura

I know they  sold Elemis products

I tossed out all my old newsletters last year  Darn

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

sort of OT   but does anyone remember  what the spa contractor was  way back?

I seem to recall it was Steiner /Mandura

I know they  sold Elemis products

I tossed out all my old newsletters last year  Darn

Lyn, I am not a "way back" cruiser on Oceania, but if they sold Elemis products it was Steiner. That is definitely a Steiner brand and has been so for many years. Here is a (U.S. based) link which shows how widely Elemis products are distributed.  https://www.elemis.com/us/spa-at-sea/

Edited by edgee

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Lyn, I am not a "way back" cruiser on Oceania, but if they sold Elemis products it was Steiner. That is definitely a Steiner brand and has been so for many years. Here is a (U.S. based) link which shows how widely Elemis products are distributed.  https://www.elemis.com/us/spa-at-sea/

Thanks Ed

My memory is usually good   but lately  is questionable some days  LOL

Like I said it seemed to be Mandura  before CR

Interesting that some products you can buy with bi weekly payments 😲😁