No flip flops in the dining room?

libbykt

New Jersey and S. Florida here.  The flip flops they are talking about, as stated by others are the $1 rubber ones. Keep them for the beach.  The flip flops that my NJ/S. FL friends and I wear range from $15 - $35.  They are the nicest flip flops and some have the coolest bling.  Sandals are no good for me with that strap in the back, plus fancy flip fops that we wear are awesome and comfy.  If nice flip flops are not worn in your area of the country, don't put down those of us that wear them.  I especially like  a few pairs I have with memory foam.  If I see something worn on others that I know is a thing in a different part of country, that we do not wear, I don't get all snobby.  The Jersey Shore and South Florida is a laid back Kenny Chesney area.  We will dress nice, not slobs, but don't take away our nice flip flops.  It's a Flip Flop Nation.

Edited by JerseyHorseLover
  • Like 3

All flip flops are sandals! some just more expensive than others...do a google search for rainbow flip flops, one of the first hits will be rainbows website which is rainbow sandals.com

Again, flip flop is slang.....

no different than Nike sneakers and walmart sneakers are both sneakers....or as they all use to be called tennis shoes

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

flip flops are not sandals, Google it, GQ explains the difference. My wife has $100 sandals, they are not flip flops

Yes... flip flops are sandals! one more time reaaalll sloooowly the term flip flop is slang for a certain style of sandal... the type of sandal that has no strap on the back!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, midcarolina said:

Yes... flip flops are sandals! one more time reaaalll sloooowly the term flip flop is slang for a certain style of sandal... the type of sandal that has no strap on the back!

Flip flops used to be known as thongs.  I've never thought of them as sandals.  Sandals are what Ben Hur wore....

• Like 1

Flip-flops

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
For other uses, see Flip-flop.
220px-Skyblue_flip-flops.jpg

Quiksilver Flip flops

Flip-flops are a type of sandal, typically worn as a form of casual wear. They consist of a flat sole held loosely on the foot by a Y-shaped strap known as a toe thong that passes between the first and second toes and around both sides of the foot or can be a hard base with a strap across all the toes (these can also be called sliders).

This style of footwear has been worn by the people of many cultures throughout the world, originating as early as the ancient Egyptians in 1,500 B.C. The modern flip-flop descends from the Japanese zōri, which became popular after World War II when soldiers returning to the United States brought them back. They became popular unisex summer footwear[1] starting in the 1960s.

Flip-flops

Edited by midcarolina
C&P twice
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Tyhunt said:

Why not just follow their rules?  Just saying.

That is not the issue, OP is trying to navigate the rules.

Does the no flip flop rule mean no slip on sandals or does the rule mean no cheap rubber pool shoes, but that the nicer slip on sandals that some people consider flip flops are okay?

When I was a kid a lot of what is called flip flops today were called sandals. I suspect that Carnival is using the very narrow definition of flip flops not the wider one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Flip flops are basically going barefoot....it's just gross for restaurants.  But I was brought up differently I guess.

My fresh-from-the-shower feet in sandals are MUCH cleaner than your sneakers that you have worn through who knows what while out in port or at home.  Have you never considered what is on the floor at the airport or that you pick up in your shoes in parking lots?

• Like 4

I came across a cool little pair of black flip-flops.  What makes them cool are the bows with rhinestone buckles.

It changes the whole vibe from flip-flop to dinner "sandals"  without affecting the comfort ... and they take just a tiny bit of room in the suitcase.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, amyotravel said:

Just pack really flat and simple sparkly sandals and they wont take up room and won't be much different then your flip flops. Better safe than sorry.

Even something like this:

image.png.41e2822a68685cb48dcb7e8e0d5822ee.png

Totally off topic, but who makes these sandals?  They are so cute!  Where can I find them?  I know,  I have a shoe problem. 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lorielucks said:

Totally off topic, but who makes these sandals?  They are so cute!  Where can I find them?  I know,  I have a shoe problem. 😊

I saw these on lulus dot com. Very reasonably priced! But I don't own them so cannot vouch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

My fresh-from-the-shower feet in sandals are MUCH cleaner than your sneakers that you have worn through who knows what while out in port or at home.  Have you never considered what is on the floor at the airport or that you pick up in your shoes in parking lots?

You do know you actually helped with my statement.  My sneakers protect my feet from those "gross items" that you stated, but sandal allow all that "stuff" onto your skin.  My second cousin, who is now 17 suffered through two foot affections from only wearing sandals  Her pediatrician warned her that she must wear sneakers for protection and for support which was another issue of hers. 

Sandals are nice, but whether or not you wash your feet before dinner, most do not, and all that dust, and grime picked up, is the same as going barefoot. 

I could go on and on about this subject, and based on where I work, I have plenty of examples, of why but the reality is, flip flops with sparkles on it is cute, so it's ok.

• Like 1

So to summarize what I have learned this week on cruise critic, I will ruin someone else's vacation if I:

wear sandals/flip flops

wear cargo shorts

wear a bathrobe

take a nap by the pool

wear a hat indoors

allow my children to be unsupervised 

supervise my children too closely

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

So to summarize what I have learned this week on cruise critic, I will ruin someone else's vacation if I:

wear sandals/flip flops

wear cargo shorts

wear a bathrobe

take a nap by the pool

wear a hat indoors

allow my children to be unsupervised 

supervise my children too closely

Only those on Cruise Critic. 😉

On 7/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, libbykt said:

I never expected this to garner so much attention. Carnival's rules aside, I'm trying to figure out if this is geographical or generational or something else. I am in my 40's and belong to a country club with a fairly strict dress code, and I'm guessing that at least half the women wear dressier flip flops for regular evenings out. 

I think part of the issue is geographical/word meanings.  As quoted below, different people have very different views of what a flip-flop is and isn't.  I am mid-40's, most of my life in PA and think of the first description so "nice" flip-flops are an oxymoron to me.  I also realize that others have a very different view of flip flop and I've seen very cute (very pricy) open back, thong/toe post shoes that to me are not flip flops but rather an open backed sandal.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:04 PM, HerbertandB said:
I always think of flip flops having a post/thong between the big toe and second toe, thus they make a flopping/slapping noise when you walk.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:25 PM, JerseyHorseLover said:

New Jersey and S. Florida here.  The flip flops they are talking about, as stated by others are the $1 rubber ones. Keep them for the beach.  The flip flops that my NJ/S. FL friends and I wear range from $15 - $35.  They are the nicest flip flops and some have the coolest bling.  Sandals are no good for me with that strap in the back, plus fancy flip fops that we wear are awesome and comfy.  If nice flip flops are not worn in your area of the country, don't put down those of us that wear them.  I especially like  a few pairs I have with memory foam.  If I see something worn on others that I know is a thing in a different part of country, that we do not wear, I don't get all snobby.  The Jersey Shore and South Florida is a laid back Kenny Chesney area.  We will dress nice, not slobs, but don't take away our nice flip flops.  It's a Flip Flop Nation.

I personally prefer a shoe with some type of back (even a "yoga" sandal) so there is less risk of the shoe falling off.

If the rules say no flip flops, why is there even a debate.  Obviously everyone knows what flip flops are.  That being said......  I can't say I've ever in my cruises noticed what anyone had on their feet.  Can't imagine what it would matter if someone has them on.

Edited by sprint180

Typically I view rules as guidelines with most rules put in place to prevent the worst possible outcome. Personally I consider the reason for the the rule and then proceed with my own interpretation of intent, and figure I will proceed until told don't. In this instance if there was no rule against flip flops then you would see people wearing very dingy cheap dollar store rubber flip flops that they have so worn that half their foot hangs off the sides. I am sure some of you have very nice and chic flip flop type ( no back strap to stop flapping) shoes and if so I doubt anyone would notice, care or say anything. I would not notice as I try not to look at feet while eating, I would rather not view toenail fungus and scaly feet while I am enjoying dinner. 

• 2 weeks later...