Trip insurance websites

zitsky

So I've bought trip insurance a few times but not many.  Once I used what seems to be a popular website that looks attractive.  But yesterday I looked at another website that looks like it was designed in the 1990's, pretty basic, nothing fancy.  I found that both websites offered some of the same plans.  When I looked at the pretty site to get information about an existing policy for a future trip, I discovered to my surprise that some basic information like policy number was not available.  So now I am shopping for another policy.  I asked myself, what's the point of using the site that looks pretty but doesn't add much value.  Maybe some of you know which websites I'm talking about.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

So I've bought trip insurance a few times but not many.  Once I used what seems to be a popular website that looks attractive.  But yesterday I looked at another website that looks like it was designed in the 1990's, pretty basic, nothing fancy.  I found that both websites offered some of the same plans.  When I looked at the pretty site to get information about an existing policy for a future trip, I discovered to my surprise that some basic information like policy number was not available.  So now I am shopping for another policy.  I asked myself, what's the point of using the site that looks pretty but doesn't add much value.  Maybe some of you know which websites I'm talking about.

I'm guessing the older-looking site might be (we can name names here for travel insurance, just not for travel *agents*) might be 

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

We use them!

And I ALWAYS recommend *calling*, and NOT relying upon the online summaries.  If ever there is a time when the "fine print" matters, it's insurance!

So let them discuss with you what your insurance concerns are, and suggest a few possible policies that might "fit", with pros and cons.

We've purchased through them policies from Travel Insured, and they PAY their claims, and in a very timely fashion.

One other thing... the policies may differ from state to state.  The "same name" policy might have different terms in State A vs in State B.

GC

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yes insuremytrip and tripinsurancestore are the ones.

I think there is considerable overlap in the policies they sell, but TIS may sell fewer, because they "vet" the insurers, so one isn't likely to get a policy and then have trouble getting paid (or need to go through all sorts of nonsense).

And... in one case, Steve (the owner) actually pointed out why for one specific trip, we probably did NOT even need a special travel insurance policy.  This was after we'd discussed our travel  and insurance needs/plans/etc., on quite a few occasions, so he sort of "knew" us.  He asked some key questions, and I realized that indeed, we did NOT need a special policy.  I'm totally forgetting the details, but I was pretty astonished... that part I remember!

They'll also help with claims if one needs help.  

He/they have a lot of satisfied customers here.

The main thing is to look for reports from people who have HAD CLAIMS, and not just those who had an easy time buying the insurance.  It's getting paid when there is a valid claim that matters, after all!

They are also very patient about just answering questions.  We learned so much from asking things like, "Well, what if X happens?  If Z happens?" Etc.

GC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, zitsky said:

I decided not to use Steve"s website.  They don't process credit card payments.  Price was same as other websites.

What? 

I have bought insurance from them several times, increasing coverage as I have made payments, and they have taken my credit card information over the phone.

16 hours ago, zitsky said:

I decided not to use Steve"s website.  They don't process credit card payments.  Price was same as other websites.

Where did you see this?

We have purchased MANY policies through Steve/TripInsuranceStore, and EVERY SINGLE ONE WAS PAID USING A CHARGE CARD (to be more specific, a "credit card", not a "debit card", but I doubt that would matter).

???

GC

This is *my* experience.

I shopped for a specific policy that I found on another site.  When I was ready to purchase, I was routed to the insurance company.  I was NOT given an option to pay for it on Steve's site tripinsurancestore.

I did not contact them by phone.  I saw no reason to.  I have a computer and an internet connection.

Steve explained to me in an email that (online) he does not like to handle and process credit card info.

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This is *my* experience.

I shopped for a specific policy that I found on another site.  When I was ready to purchase, I was routed to the insurance company.  I was NOT given an option to pay for it on Steve's site tripinsurancestore.

I did not contact them by phone.  I saw no reason to.  I have a computer and an internet connection.

Steve explained to me in an email that (online) he does not like to handle and process credit card info.

If you do not want to do it by phone, that is totally up to you, obviously.

We ALWAYS do it by phone, including for one MAJOR reason.  There was one time when I just happened to mention something to Steve while he was processing our purchase, and he suddenly asked a key question, something like, "But didn't you mention xyz?"

Indeed I had.

And he pointed out that we were about to get a policy that would end up not being valid!  Note:  This was early on, while we still had our training wheels on, but still...

And even now, there are many times that I'll double check, "oh, and WHAT IF abc happens?"

Or he'll remind us about something.

There are SO many "details" (aka "fine print") to these policies, it's nice to have a professional sort of looking over our shoulder.

We often learn a new wrinkle ("new" to us, not new to the policy) simply by speaking to them.

Bottom line is we've had some large claims, and they've all been paid with no nonsense, along with a smaller claim.

So the "system we use" works well for us.

And there's not the outrageous hold times that the insurers seem to have.

(Although, Travel Insured now has one of those "press 1 to be called back without losing you place in the queue", and it seems to work very well.  MUCH better than those dratted eternal "holds"!)

But looking at your post again, you seemingly DID get to purchase the policy you wanted that you wanted via Steve's/TIS website.  They routed you so you COULD pay by charge card.

So what is your complaint, actually?

GC

33 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don't mean to be rude, but if you are asking what my complaint is..  then you have obviously not read any of my posts.

I was responding quite specifically to TWO of your very recent posts:

1)

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

This is *my* experience.

and

2)

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

As I pointed out at the end of my most recent response above, it seems that you WERE able to use TIS's website to choose the policy you wanted, and they then directed you to the insurer's own site where you COULD make "credit card payments".

And that's what you apparently wanted to do, and TIS directed you so you could do it.

Why does it matter IF you process the online charge via TIS website or the insurer's website, especially if TIS's website directed you to the insurer's site so you could charge the premium, just as you preferred (and without needing to call someone)?

If you feel that my post(s) was/were not responsive to the post of yours that I quoted (and then added a second post of yours just now), then that's unfortunate, and I certainly do not understand why.
But again, it is YOUR choice how you prefer to pay.

I just don't understand why you are upset that it was the insurer's website that Steve/TIS routed you to, vs. Steve/TIS's website itself, given that the former does accept the charge card ONLINE, just the way you wanted.

If I've "missed something", then I certainly apologize.

GC

Competitor websites allow you to select a policy and pay for it on the same website.  Why should I use a website that has half the features of its competitor, all because a website doesn't know how to implement safe credit card payments?  

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Competitor websites allow you to select a policy and pay for it on the same website.  Why should I use a website that has half the features of its competitor, all because a website doesn't know how to implement safe credit card payments?  

Then don't use it, if that is the most important or among the most important criteria you use.

Simple.

(Except it sounded like they forwarded you directly to the other site, so I still don't see the difficulty.  But it's YOUR choice, and you've made your decision.  And you've let the rest of us know.)

GC

3 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Then don't use it, if that is the most important or among the most important criteria you use.

Simple.

(Except it sounded like they forwarded you directly to the other site, so I still don't see the difficulty.  But it's YOUR choice, and you've made your decision.  And you've let the rest of us know.)

GC

Umm.  Yeah I do know that it's my choice whether or not to use a website.  

This website is called (something) critic.... not (I want everyone to agree that my favorite travel site is the best).

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Umm.  Yeah I do know that it's my choice whether or not to use a website.  

This website is called (something) critic.... not (I want everyone to agree that my favorite travel site is the best).

Yup, and as I mentioned, you've let all of us know.

I remain confused as to why you object to having one vendor forward you directly to your choice to make the payment online just as you prefer, and then complain you can't make the payment on line, that's all...

Many of us would appreciate that type of convenience. 

GC

What is the value add for any website?  What makes it useful?  Better information? Convenience?  Why shouldn't I go directly to a website and deal with them? Why use a third party?  How useful would Amazon be if you could browse their catalog but you had to use another website to pay?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What is the value add for any website?  What makes it useful?  Better information? Convenience?  Why shouldn't I go directly to a website and deal with them? Why use a third party?  How useful would Amazon be if you could browse their catalog but you had to use another website to pay?

Wow.

I had certainly assumed that you used TIS to help you decide which insurer and which specific insurance policy you wanted, from a comparison of a variety of choices shown.

Sure, if you already knew exactly which policy and from which insurer, then... yup, why not go right there?

... and that's for any choice, travel insurance or an Amazon item or whatever, when you already know *exactly* what you want and the price is the same ....?

For most of us, for travel insurance or most other items/services/etc., "exactly what we want AND the exact price" is NOT always known before we head online to search.   That's quite different.

And even now, there are occasional times that we end up with a different travel insurance policy, because there is something "different" about that particular trip, such that our "usual" policy is *not* the "best choice".  This has only happened a few times, but when it did, we are glad that we didn't get "our regular", etc.  And it was TIS who pointed out that a different policy might make more sense "this time".

But usually it's "the same old, same old". 

Either way, they already have all of our information, so all we need to do is give them our travel dates, destination, and amount we want to start the coverage for (usually just the initial deposit), and which charge cardeven .  Then we get the policy emailed from the insurer, usually within a couple of minutes, often before I've hung up the phone with TIS.

GC

Example. 

I used Amazon.com and Walmart.com to find batteries.  They had the same price for the same product.  Should I pay Amazon even though I found them first on Walmart's site?  And Walmart lets me pay them.  Amazon makes me pay the battery company.  What is more convenient? 

Example.

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Example. 

I used Amazon.com and Walmart.com to find batteries.  They had the same price for the same product.  Should I pay Amazon even though I found them first on Walmart's site?  And Walmart lets me pay them.  Amazon makes me pay the battery company.  What is more convenient? 

Example.

Crazy, but... IF Amazon sends you directly to the battery company to make the payment, I still don't understand why one is "more convenient" than the other.  Either way, you are at the payment site, and "it's time to enter the order info and pay"...

IF you "found them first on Walmart's site" and KNOW it is exactly what you want and at the right price,... why are you still searching on Amazon?

If you are still "looking" for the right product and/or price, well, that's different... and that's what an insurance broker (or Amazon) is for *OR* it is to go directly there and also find just what you are already seeking.

You see a problem; we don't.

That's all.

GC

On 7/21/2019 at 1:16 PM, LDVinNC said:

I have bought insurance from them several times, increasing coverage as I have made payments, and they have taken my credit card information over the phone.

I find Trip Insurance Store the easiest insurance agent I have ever worked with in my life.

Ex: 

I email them my new trip purchases related to my upcoming Norway Cruise.  30 seconds of copying and pasting new info.

They quickly reply back,

"We've updated your coverage, charged your card*, and here's the new coverage..."

DONE! 

* They have my credit card info from the initial extensive consultation where Steve kindly answered alllll my questions.

Edited by SempreMare

2 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

I find Trip Insurance Store the easiest insurance agent I have ever worked with in my life.

Ex: 

I email them my new trip purchases related to my upcoming Norway Cruise.  30 seconds of copying and pasting new info.

They quickly reply back,

"We've updated your coverage, charged your card*, and here's the new coverage..."

DONE! 

* They have my credit card info from the initial extensive consultation where Steve kindly answered alllll my questions.

That's interesting.  I would really like to know how, in what way, they are saving your credit card info.

I'll tell you what.  Next time I need insurance, I will give them another try.  And I will CALL them since it seems to be the way they work best.