HK Day Trip - Macau or Lantau Island?

hubofhockey

Most people with three-day pre-cruise itineraries seem to include Lantau Island to see Big Buddha and the fishing village.  It seems nice enough, but I am wondering if it's a better way to spend the day than to go to Macau, where we could spend half of the day seeing the world heritage sites and then even catch a 5 pm Cirque show at the Venetian (House of Dancing Water looks incredible).  Is Lantau Island a "must see" part of a Hong Kong vacation?  I don't want to miss out on it, but am wondering if Macau just isn't a better place to spend a day.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:08 PM, hubofhockey said:

Most people with three-day pre-cruise itineraries seem to include Lantau Island to see Big Buddha and the fishing village.  It seems nice enough, but I am wondering if it's a better way to spend the day than to go to Macau, where we could spend half of the day seeing the world heritage sites and then even catch a 5 pm Cirque show at the Venetian (House of Dancing Water looks incredible).  Is Lantau Island a "must see" part of a Hong Kong vacation?  I don't want to miss out on it, but am wondering if Macau just isn't a better place to spend a day.

House of Dancing Water is not in the Venetian. It is in Melco's City of Dreams. It is not a Cirque du Soleil show it is a Dragone show.

These days with the new HZMB bridge, it is much easier to travel from Lantau Island to Macau. It is now a 40min bus journey. But the transport in Macau itself could be troublesome.

To see both Lantau Big Buddha, fishing village and the world heritage sites and Dragone show in Macau in one day is very tight time wise. I would recommend just doing one or the other.

Thanks, I see the show is across the street from the Venetian and I understand that it is a Cirque style show but not done by Cirque du Soleil.  I was never thinking of doing Lantau AND Macau.  It was one or the other and we're heading to Macau.  

Have done both several times, Hong Kong is one of our regular get away spots,  with a trip about every two months. My choice would be Macau much more to see and do, the Island is nice but many Buddha in Asia.  You do need your passport as it is a special zone like Hong Kong.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:26 AM, ellbon said:

I was there three years ago and had to show passport. 

Ditto, I thought something has changed recently that we somehow missed ... HKID card holders can exit HK to/from and enter/exit Macau without passports.  But, everyone else - i.e. US Passport holders must present them as they are stamped by border control, same on HK side and also with Macau.  An immigration/customs declaration card has to be filled out & submitted.  

Most HK/Macau travelers do not qualify and cannot use their e-Channel for quick entry and exit.  

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Ditto, I thought something has changed recently that we somehow missed ... HKID card holders can exit HK to/from and enter/exit Macau without passports.  But, everyone else - i.e. US Passport holders must present them as they are stamped by border control, same on HK side and also with Macau.  An immigration/customs declaration card has to be filled out & submitted.  

Most HK/Macau travelers do not qualify and cannot use their e-Channel for quick entry and exit.  

I was on a ship tour and someone from Shorex came with our group. She had a problem and was not allowed to join us.