Cruise Critic Community
Nauty

Civitavecchia Train Station to Port & back

I’m well aware of the hassle of taking the local bus from the train station to Largo della Pace and then the shuttle bus to the cruise terminal, as well as the lack of taxis that have permits to enter the port. Unfortunately taking a private transfer or shared shuttle isn’t an option as we are taking the train from Pisa directly to Civitavecchia on embarkation day. Having done lots of research, I came across NCC, the bus company that does transfers, and I believe is also the contractor for lots of cruise lines for their transfers & tours in & out of Civitavecchia. To my surprise, they offer a shared shuttle from the train station to the cruise terminal and vice versa. Cost is 30 Euros for 2 each way. There are only a couple of scheduled departures on each direction, which are perfectly timed with our train’s arrival & departure. I went ahead & made the booking, and got our vouchers. Has anyone ever used this service with NCC? I’m a little worried because I have searched the forums diligently going as far back as 5 years ago, but have never seen this discussed. I opted for the option to pay the driver directly. I figured if they don’t show up, we’ll just take the local bus & shuttle combo then.

30 euros from the Civi train station to the ship? Seems very steep for a very short drive.

I agree, however the other option is to take the local bus to the port entrance (2 euros), and then the free port shuttle to the cruise terminal. I have read of long lines and queueing for more than an hour to get on the shuttle. Not sure I would want to do that in the scorching sun (August) since the staging area by the port entrance is open air.

Posted (edited)

Was just in civitavechhia on Wednesday. There were no long lines in either direction.

Also they have umbrella tents to shield one from the sun.

Edited by Voelfgar
additional information

30 Euros for a 1 mile ride is a good job if one can get it :).  One might consider just getting a taxi from Pisa to the Livorno port.  Not sure of the fare but would suspect it would be no more than 40 Euros (total for the taxi).

Hank

30 minutes ago, Voelfgar said:

Was just in civitavechhia on Wednesday. There were no long lines in either direction.

Also they have umbrella tents to shield one from the sun.

What time of the day were you there? We’re arriving Civitavecchia just after 11AM, which I think is peak time, on a Sunday with 3 turnaround ships in port. On disembarkation, our train departs Civitavecchia at 9AM, also on a day with 3 ships in port.

4 hours ago, Nauty said:

To my surprise, they offer a shared shuttle from the train station to the cruise terminal and vice versa. Cost is 30 Euros for 2 each way. 

15 euro each sounds pretty reasonable to me to avoid the hassle of two buses with lots of other people trying to do the same thing at the same time.  Yes, it's a lot to pay for a one mile ride but my peace of mind and comfort are worth 15 euro.

38 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

15 euro each sounds pretty reasonable to me to avoid the hassle of two buses with lots of other people trying to do the same thing at the same time.  Yes, it's a lot to pay for a one mile ride but my peace of mind and comfort are worth 15 euro.

I’m on the same train of thought. I guess the reason I posted in the first place is that I have never heard of any company providing this service, and having gone through hundreds of posts in cruise critic I’ve also never read anyone having done this. There are tons of posts about the public bus/shuttle, as well as the 20 Euro taxi ripoff to the port entrance. I only came across this NCC shared shuttle service by accident after having done a google search and finding it on page 4. Anyway it was offered on their website & they e-mailed me the vouchers so I guess it’s legit. This will be our first time taking the train to Civitavecchia after a pre-cruise stay in Tuscany. On all our previous cruises out of Civitavecchia, we came from Rome & only ever used private or shared shuttles.

OP,  we used NCC last December for our transfer from hotel in Rome to the port in Civitavecchia. 

We opted for the shared shuttle option: it was 70 euros for the both of us. They were great. We were very happy with their service.  The convenience of being picked up at the hotel and being dropped of right at the ship was worth every penny. 

We paid the driver with credit card at the end of the transfer. 

We have booked with them again for the same transfer this coming October.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:33 PM, Nauty said:

What time of the day were you there? We’re arriving Civitavecchia just after 11AM, which I think is peak time, on a Sunday with 3 turnaround ships in port. On disembarkation, our train departs Civitavecchia at 9AM, also on a day with 3 ships in port.

Around 11AM,  there were 2 in port and they had separate set of buses  buses for each ship.