Worst Burger on the Planet

crockea

9 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

Yes, as I stated in one of my parentheticals, but like dress code threads, it's hard to resist. This thread is even being mocked on other threads now, which I adore!🤣

So participating in dress code threads is ok but you want this shut down?

I'm new to Celebrity and I find food threads helpful.

If I haven't said already, I would pay extra for good food. 

Edited by zitsky

Well a burger isn't a burger unless it has .... wait for it.... I can sense the anticipation...

2 all beef patties

special sauce

Lettuce

Cheese 

Pickles  and...

onions.

Under a sesame seed bun.

See, that was worth the wait

41 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

Well a burger isn't a burger unless it has .... wait for it.... I can sense the anticipation...

2 all beef patties

special sauce

Lettuce

Cheese 

Pickles  and...

onions.

Under a sesame seed bun.

See, that was worth the wait

I thought it was "and a sesame seed bun"?  (Google says 'and')

Yea I used to like the Big Mac but lately I like the quarter pounder.  Supposedly QP is made with fresh beef not frozen 

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

50 + cruises and I don't understand why a burger thread gets such enthusiastic posts.  I thought X was "relaxed luxury", guess that's quite subjective nowadays.

Disclaimer:  I've eaten maybe 6 burgers during 16 years of cruising at least 3 times a year.  Oh yeah, I did have a fast food burger, big mac, back in high school, 1967.  Give me a filet mignon, medium rare please, and then I'll gush about it.  (or not).

I have close to six burgers, all from the Mast Grill during a single cruise. Why? Because I like them and last I heard there is a thing called freedom of choice, and I choose them.

If you grind up a filet, it makes a great hamburger.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, keesar said:

The burgers and hot dogs come in frozen.  One strike against them.  However, if you get a grilled buttered roll and top the burger with bacon, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, lettuce, tomato and enough condiments,  they are pretty good.

Ummmmm!

23 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I have close to six burgers, all from the Mast Grill during a single cruise. Why? Because I like them and last I heard there is a thing called freedom of choice, and I choose them.

If you grind up a filet, it makes a great hamburger.

Haven't you heard?  You're not supposed to care about your food.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:16 AM, keesar said:

The burgers and hot dogs come in frozen.  One strike against them.  However, if you get a grilled buttered roll and top the burger with bacon, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, lettuce, tomato and enough condiments,  they are pretty good.

What's your point? I would say most, if not all, of their meat comes in frozen. We've done several transatlantics and they had 7-8 straight sea days. I don't remember seeing any helicopters, or other ships, making any fresh meat deliveries.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

You are missing the-tongue-in-cheek tone of my posts.  Have at the burger thread all you want. I just think claiming a burger on a cruise ship "the worst on the planet" is over the top.  But maybe I missed their tongue being firmly planted in their cheek.  🤔

6 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

You are missing the-tongue-in-cheek tone of my posts.  Have at the burger thread all you want. I just think claiming a burger on a cruise ship "the worst on the planet" is over the top.  But maybe I missed their tongue being firmly planted in their cheek.  🤔

Food is much more important than clothing.  If Celebrity gets a reputation for bad burgers, bookings will go down, the company will go out of business and we will all lose money.  We can't let that happen!!!

On 7/12/2019 at 2:02 PM, crockea said:

It has been 7 months since we sailed on the Celebrity Summit but I was talking to my husband last night and we both shared a laugh at how horrible the burgers were.  To back up .... We sailed on the Summit out of San Juan last December.  We knew it would be an older ship so we didn't have grand expectations on that but we did expect a lot more from Celebrity based on all the positive reviews.  We were sailing with 2 other couples.  One of those couples have sailed many times with us on NCL in the Haven.  Back to my original thought tho, the burgers were by far the worst burgers we'd ever had in our lives.  Full of fat and gristle. I actually gagged.  My husband who will eat anything didn't even finish his.  And this was in the "suite" restaurant. We thought maybe we just got a bad batch but them in speaking with both of the other couples we traveled with they all had them on different days and said the same thing.  So my question is, is this normal for Celebrity out of PR or was it maybe just a sailing that got some bad meat?

I can’t remember which ship we were on but a couple of years ago my Dh ordered the burger in Luminae. He couldn’t even swallow the first bite. There were similar complaints from other guests around us who had ordered the burgers. We spoke to the Maitre D’ who apologized and explained that X decided to bring different cuts of beef on board and have the galley crew grind it to make the “signature” Luminae burgers, rather than serving guests pre-prepared patties. Well apparently someone messed up and gristle ended up in the burgers, lots of it. I don't know what changed (perhaps better quality control) but we have always had great burgers in Luminae since that first fiasco.

Edited by C-Dragons

30 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I can’t remember which ship we were on but a couple of years ago

my Dh ordered the burger in Luminae. 

He couldn’t even swallow the first bite.

There were similar complaints from other guests around us who had ordered the burgers. 

We spoke to the Maitre D’ who apologized and explained that X decided to bring different cuts of beef on board and have the galley crew grind it to make the “signature” Luminae burgers,

rather than serving guests pre-prepared patties. 

Well apparently someone messed up and gristle ended up in the burgers, lots of it. 

I don't know what changed (perhaps better quality control)

but we have always had great burgers in Luminae since that first fiasco.

Nice post!

I remember, in me past life, of being so hungry,                                                                                                                                                    l  was looking for peanut butter left on lids of tin containers in a trash dump in Viet Nam. 

"would have eaten "signature " gristle at first bite. 

I know this is not the same but, thanks for the memories.

Squint your eyes a bit closer.

Hopefully, everyone does not eat all the words that you say.

Edited by $hip$hape

6 minutes ago, $hip$hape said:

Nice post!

I remember, in me past life, of being so hungry,                                                                                                                                                    l  was looking for peanut butter left on lids of tin containers in a trash dump in Viet Nam. 

"would have eaten "signature " gristle at first bite. 

I know this is not the same but, thanks for the memories.

Squint your eyes a bit closer.

Hopefully, everyone does not eat all the words that you say.

When I was younger I survived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, tuna, etc.  Now eating on a cruise ship seems like I am in a palace.  And of course, I have put on weight now that I eat better.

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

I thought it was "and a sesame seed bun"?  (Google says 'and')

Yea I used to like the Big Mac but lately I like the quarter pounder.  Supposedly QP is made with fresh beef not frozen 

Can you imagine the uproar if Celebrity installed McDonald's instead of the Mast Grill... How dare X cheapen it's brand with a fast food restaurant etc.....

But how many people would view a McDonald's burger as better than the cheap and cheerful burgers they ships serve there? 

I would gladly pay for a higher quality burger (my definition: less fat, better grade of beef, cooked freshly to order) at the Mast/Pool Grill.  They could continue to offer the free burgers too.  Then everybody would have a choice.  As I stated before, the short- lived Top Deck Burger Bar would likely have survived if they offered it in addition to the free burgers near the pool.  There is no option for a higher quality burger on M-Class ships other than if you are a suite passenger and dine in Luminae.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

Many people will not pay extra to dine in specialty restaurants- as the food and service typically are so much better- so why would they pay more for a great burger?  

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I would gladly pay for a higher quality burger (my definition: less fat, better grade of beef, cooked freshly to order) at the Mast/Pool Grill.  They could continue to offer the free burgers too.  Then everybody would have a choice.  As I stated before, the short- lived Top Deck Burger Bar would likely have survived if they offered it in addition to the free burgers near the pool.  There is no option for a higher quality burger on M-Class ships other than if you are a suite passenger and dine in Luminae.

How long did the Top Deck bar last?  A few months?  Too bad.

18 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

What's your point? I would say most, if not all, of their meat comes in frozen. We've done several transatlantics and they had 7-8 straight sea days. I don't remember seeing any helicopters, or other ships, making any fresh meat deliveries.

Meat does not have to be frozen.  I have purchased fresh meat in cryovac packaging that lasts in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks.  And when you put it on the grill, the meat looks and tastes like fresh meat.  

Take a behind the scenes tour of the food storage area  on a ship.  Well worth it.  

37 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Many people will not pay extra to dine in specialty restaurants- as the food and service typically are so much better- so why would they pay more for a great burger?  

That's an easy one. It's because not all people think like yourself. I'd pay extra for a burger if I thought it was worth it. 

8 minutes ago, keesar said:

Meat does not have to be frozen.  I have purchased fresh meat in cryovac packaging that lasts in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks.  And when you put it on the grill, the meat looks and tastes like fresh meat.  

Take a behind the scenes tour of the food storage area  on a ship.  Well worth it.  

High quality beef here is hung in cold storage for four to five weeks. This results in more tender and flavorful meat. 

Just caught this thread.

I thought the burger bar on Edge was the least looking appetising restaurant on the ship. Walked through it numerous times, didnt like the smell, and the burgers just looked they had come from McDonalds. They may well have tasted great, I never tried, but I just never wanted to. I sampled everything else though.

It genuinely reminded me of the sort of place you would take your kids too rather than a fancy restaurant.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:26 AM, Mynki said:

High quality beef here is hung in cold storage for four to five weeks. This results in more tender and flavorful meat. 

The question is, does Celebrity offer high quality beef? From my experience, not in the MDR. Maybe they used to but several years ago, there was no need for specialty restaurants. We do a lot of B2Bs and at least six out of seven times I would have the same beef dish on the second cruise as I did on the first. Now it's 50% or less.