Travel Protection plan

Because of our advanced age, the only reasonable premium for us is the policy offered by Royal. 

I added a travel Protection today because I don’t want something to pop up that would then be a ore-existing illness. 

Right now we’re reasonably healthy. Who knows what will happen between now and final payment. 

I paid the premium today so we’d be covered, but was told it doesn’t specifically pay the protection plan premium, just subtracts from our final payment balance. 

When I read the details from Aon Hewitt 

it says specifically the coverage doesn’t start till premium is paid. 

Catch 22 is that I paid it, but it wasn’t applied to the premium. 

Anyone else who experienced this?

7 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Because of our advanced age, the only reasonable premium for us is the policy offered by Royal. 

I added a travel Protection today because I don’t want something to pop up that would then be a ore-existing illness. 

Right now we’re reasonably healthy. Who knows what will happen between now and final payment. 

I paid the premium today so we’d be covered, but was told it doesn’t specifically pay the protection plan premium, just subtracts from our final payment balance. 

When you buy Royal's cruise care it doesn't really go into effect until you are in penalty (final payment date). Reason being, it does not cover pre existing conditions as a third party ins might if you pay withing a week or two of deposit. If you are ill before final payment, you simply cancel and get a refund. No need to buy it before final.

It's also poor insurance compared to others, especially evacuation.

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

You have to contact Royal (or whoever booked your cruise) and specifically ask to pay for the insurance in order to put it into force.

11 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Did you tell the rep that you want to apply the payment to the Travel protection?

8 minutes ago, AdGuyMG said:

What date was the booking made? What date did you add the Travel Protection?

The answer to this will determine whether the premium paid will include the Pre-Ex waiver.

At this time there are no pre-existing illness within the 60 day look back period. 

Nothing to be waived. 

18 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Because of our advanced age, the only reasonable premium for us is the policy offered by Royal. ...

I want to mention that Royal's insurance has what I consider to be inadequate coverage for emergency evacuation.  You may want to consider adding a policy for that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Did you tell the rep that you want to apply the payment to the Travel protection?

Royal said it just subtracts from the balance. They can’t apply it to the protection plan. 

I will call Aon Hewitt Monday. 

We're also in that category of advanced age....and because of this the price we have to pay for 3rd party insurance when we travel is well spent.

We book with The Trip Insurance Store...Steve and his associates are pro's at assessing the needs of each of their clients based on many factors. Just something you might want to consider...easy to just make a phone call you have nothing to lose at getting some professional information and what they might offer vs cruiseship insurance from RCI

(888) 407-3854

• Like 1

Just now, Host Clarea said:

I want to mention that Royal's insurance has what I consider to be inadequate coverage for emergency evacuation.  You may want to consider adding a policy for that.

True, Princess’s doesn’t cover enough, either. 

It’s only a 7 day Western Caribbean, so I’m  not going to worry about it. 

I just want to have trip cancellation and minor illness aboard ship covered at a reasonable premium. 

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We're also in that category of advanced age....and because of this the price we have to pay for 3rd party insurance when we travel is well spent.

We book with The Trip Insurance Store...Steve and his associates are pro's at assessing the needs of each of their clients based on many factors. Just something you might want to consider...easy to just make a phone call you have nothing to lose at getting some professional information and what they might offer vs cruiseship insurance from RCI

(888) 407-3854

I called everyone before our last cruise. 

Premiums are based on age and we’re 85 and 83. Also, I booked a month ago, and just decided to do the insurance. 

We normally don’t do it for short cruises like 7 days, but I’m going to my 4th funeral in 3 weeks tomorrow. 

Feeling mortal!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisinfanatic said:

As I said before, there is no reason to buy this insurance before final payment, because you are fully refunded until then provided fare is refundable

If you purchase air thru Air2Sea it's covered if you are paid.

3 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

As I said before, there is no reason to buy this insurance before final payment, because you are fully refunded until then provided fare is refundable

It’s because of the 60 day look back. 

If you pay for the coverage a month before final 

and put in a claim later, they will look back 60 days and if the illness that causes the claim 

caused you to go to the doctor for a diagnosis or meds change during the 60 days before you paid the premium, that illness will not be an allowed reason for a claim. 

When you’re in your 80’s, any chronic illness can get worse, or your AFib, like mine did, break through your meds necessitating a dosage increase. 

Insurance companies are very vigilant about pre-existing illnesses. 

37 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I called everyone before our last cruise. 

Premiums are based on age and we’re 85 and 83. Also, I booked a month ago, and just decided to do the insurance. 

We normally don’t do it for short cruises like 7 days, but I’m going to my 4th funeral in 3 weeks tomorrow. 

Feeling mortal!

We purchase 3rd party insurance regardless of length of cruise...Emergency illness and accidents have no idea how long you're traveling....and don't care.

I purchase insurance for every cruise based on my age, albeit I am not the age you are.  I know it is more expensive buying third party insurance, but the coverage is more extensive.

I use insuremytrip.com and pick insurance that is primary rather than secondary as I don't want to have to deal with getting a rejection from insurance because my problem occurred out of the country.  I also don't think the cruise line insurance covers enough for evacuation or medical if in a foreign country.

I do have controlled high blood pressure and have had that for years, so I buy my insurance within 20 days of booking so I am covered.  My look back is covered as my meds haven't changed in the period of time on the policy.

I don't want to lose the money for a cruise if something should happen, but in all honesty, that is the least of the problem.  Medical expenses are far more important to me, but we all have to decide what we want to spend and how much coverage we want.

We are not of advanced ages but we always purchase trip/travel insurance for our travel. 3rd Party always seems to work best for us. You will not get as good of coverage thru the ship as with 3rd party if you have a hotel stay, car service, air fare etc if there is an issue as well trip delay or trip interruption which is important for cruising. If medical is your concern evacuation coverage is usually higher and lots of other aspects at a lower price. Before making your decision get free quote from InsureMyTrip.com or Travel Guard through AIG is very reliable with good reviews and easy to use website. Our next trip is on the Allure in August and we got coverage with Travel Guard the gold plan. Good luck 

It is generally recommended that you do not purchase the cruise line protection plan.  If you booked directly with them, that may seem like your only choice.  However, did you pay with a credit card that offers trip protection?  Also, perhaps look at insure my trip dot com for an alternative offer.  That is where we book our insurance.

2 hours ago, Donyb said:

It is generally recommended that you do not purchase the cruise line protection plan.  ...

I would agree, except for the situation of age based premiums.  Cruise line insurance is not (yet) age based, so the premium difference between cruise line insurance and third party insurance can be very significant for older cruisers.

Third party travel insurance is horribly expensive when you are the age of the OP. I wouldn't buy it. Starting at about age 65, you start pricing out of 3rd party insurance. Cruise line travel insurance is really your only reasonable option. 

I wouldn't worry about it. Call the company and see if they will apply the premium now. But if they don't, please don't stress over it. It is travel insurance, and hopefully nothing will happen, and it won't bankrupt you if you have to cancel or need treatment onboard. 

If there is a minor incident, either before you travel or onboard, hopefully the insurance will cover it. If for some reason they don't, and you have to cancel the cruise, you will at least receive a 75% credit for a future cruise. 

Do you have a Medicare supplemental policy that will help with medical out of the US? Unless you want to spend an inordinate amount of money on travel insurance, I don't think you will find a policy that will cover all of your possible expenses. 

Edited by Coralc

One option to check, is to price the insurance with a $0 trip cost.  You will not have coverage for the cruise fare if you have to cancel, but you will have the better 3rd party limits for medical and evacuation.  

I do this.  I self-insure the actual cruise costs.  I have paid for it.  If I have to cancel, it will not be a good thing, but it will not be a financial issue.

My experience with insurance through Royal was very positive.  We did this for my parents on a cruise.  My Mother had an issue and had to go to the hospital.  We contacted the insurance company, and they arranged to pay the hospital bill directly.  Also arranged and negotiated the med evac flight to be within the coverage limits.

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

My experience with insurance through Royal was very positive.  We did this for my parents on a cruise.  My Mother had an issue and had to go to the hospital.  We contacted the insurance company, and they arranged to pay the hospital bill directly.  Also arranged and negotiated the med evac flight to be within the coverage limits.

Did you have to justify the med evac in any way?  In other words, did the insurance company need some sort of documentation from a local doctor saying that the patient needed to be evacuated, or was it enough to tell the insurance company that you preferred medical care elsewhere?