$18 drink pkg follow up

I'm curious, now that Royal is honoring the $18 per day drink pkg, will they relax the rules and not require all passengers of age to purchase it?

Seems a no brainer if it really is "drinks on us"

Or, do they really still make a profit at that rate and the whole thing was a big scam.🤔

Sounds like the question is would Royal be amenable to only having one person pay $18/day rather than 2. They are swallowing the bitter pill and honoring the mistake rate for the drink package. Would they allow a cabin partner to skate so as to not suffer a double loss per cabin? Or once again do we assume that everyone is going to share their drink package with friends and family traveling together... I would think for the sake of consistency they would have both cabin mates purchase the package for $18. 

Edited by CruiszBug

I think I’m not understanding, do you mean people still able to buy drink packages for $18 a dpp, cause I’m sailing Oasis OTS 3/22/20 and is not listed at that price.

Edited by Sanra

Just now, cheeseheads4ever said:

Maybe I missed it. What RC cruise has the $18 per day drink package? We are sailing Jan 27-31 on Mariner of the seas..

There was a pricing mistake that some were able to take advantage of for certain sailings for the deluxe pkg for $18/day.  after much ado on CC RC has decided to honor the mistake rate but has since corrected their pricing as far as I know 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm curious, now that Royal is honoring the $18 per day drink pkg, will they relax the rules and not require all passengers of age to purchase it?

Seems a no brainer if it really is "drinks on us"

Or, do they really still make a profit at that rate and the whole thing was a big scam.🤔

Good question, I also am curious if anyone who got the $18/day deal has been able to call in and buy down to the refreshment pkg for a cabin mate?

4 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Good question, I also am curious if anyone who got the $18/day deal has been able to call in and buy down to the refreshment pkg for a cabin mate?

And at what cost is the refreshment pkg? Or can you cancel a “non drinker” cabin mate?

5 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I got the package for $18 for my oasis cruise in March. I bought it for my soon to be 21 year old son too. Why would I buy down to a refreshment package when the refreshment package is more. I really do not even drink alcohol but a few times a year but for the price I can try a few things and have smoothies. I got the deal for our freedom cruise for June too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, renza said:

I got the package for $18 for my oasis cruise in March. I bought it for my soon to be 21 year old son too. Why would I buy down to a refreshment package when the refreshment package is more. I really do not even drink alcohol but a few times a year but for the price I can try a few things and have smoothies. I got the deal for our freedom cruise for June too. 

That’s part of what I’m curious about.  I assume the regular price of the refreshment pkg now prevails making it much higher than $18/day.  So if there is no refreshment pkg below the cost of deluxe will they allow 1 cabin mate to cancel?

Customer...We bought the deluxe packages back when they were on sale for $18 but my wife can’t drink alcohol.

Royal....No problem sir, we will make an exception for you and allow you to cancel her deluxe package as long as she purchases the refreshment package (at $26 per day)  

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I doubt it. Maybe I could get my son the soda package. He is not a drinker and has no desire to even have a beer, but I figure he can have enough  Virgin drinks and smoothies to make the $18 a day fine. I wouldn’t even dare ask, with the deal I got, I am ok with it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

That’s part of what I’m curious about.  I assume the regular price of the refreshment pkg now prevails making it much higher than $18/day.  So if there is no refreshment pkg below the cost of deluxe will they allow 1 cabin mate to cancel?

If I was lucky enough to get the drink package for $18 I would suck it up ( no pun intended) and pay for the second guest in the room. I'm sure the second guest would drink soft drinks water and coffee or tea if they don't drink alcohol. Fresh orange juice was on the breakast menu for $8.25 so it adds up quickly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Customer...We bought the deluxe packages back when they were on sale for $18 but my wife can’t drink alcohol.

Royal....No problem sir, we will make an exception for you and allow you to cancel her deluxe package as long as she purchases the refreshment package (at $26 per day)  

Or worse case. We can cancel your order for 2 deluxe at $18 each and charge you $49 for one deluxe and add the refreshment for $26. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I am so mad I missed this huge mistake. I was on the GR when it hit. How long was this price up for until they realized their mistake?

It was not up for a short period of time. I saw it and thought several hours about it, went back and booked two cruises. I think it was up around 6 hours. I did not think it was a mistake at that point because people were posting that they called in and got it even. 

1 minute ago, renza said:

It was not up for a short period of time. I saw it and thought several hours about it, went back and booked two cruises. I think it was up around 6 hours. I did not think it was a mistake at that point because people were posting that they called in and got it even. 

That's because the CSR don't have a clue and wouldn't even think to question the price. They probably just figured it was just another sale.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I am so mad I missed this huge mistake. I was on the GR when it hit. How long was this price up for until they realized their mistake?

It was active at least partially for about 9 hours, 4PM to 1AM Eastern Standard Time. Around 5-6PM was when it started getting publicized on Facebook and Twitter, by around 8PM they were saying on phone/Twitter/Facebook it was a mistake price, and around 9-10PM they started fixing it, but some cruises still had the glitch available until around midnight to 1AM.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

It was active at least partially for about 9 hours, 4PM to 1AM Eastern Standard Time. Around 5-6PM was when it started getting publicized on Facebook and Twitter, by around 8PM they were saying on phone/Twitter/Facebook it was a mistake price, and around 9-10PM they started fixing it, but some cruises still had the glitch available until around midnight to 1AM.

Interesting that a whole lot of ships and sail dates could all get posted at once but in order to stop remove the special pricing it’s like they had to do each ship and or sailing individually. 

It was about 11pm that I bought my last package.

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Interesting that a whole lot of ships and sail dates could all get posted at once but in order to stop remove the special pricing it’s like they had to do each ship and or sailing individually. 

It was about 11pm that I bought my last package.

Yeah, that really weirded me out as well. It was about 10:30 or so for me when I bought my last package, and there were a few people on CC already reporting that it had been fixed for some of their cruises. I got the deal on two cruises; when I went to bed at about 11:45 one of the two cruises had the price corrected to $55, the other was still at $18.

• Like 1

You're making me annoyed again. It was about 8:30 PM PST when I tried to purchase it here for our Allure sailing. It still showed $18 on the planner, and after a few "Unable to add to cart" messages and screen refreshes and log in/log out it went back to $50/day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the OP is trying to ask if Royal will continue to require all those of age in a stateroom reservation to purchase the deluxe beverage package or will they relax and just let people make individual decisions. If Royal can handle an $18 pppd pricing, do they really need to enforce the whole stateroom to purchase the package if anyone does at more regular pricing?

I have always understood the concerns regarding shared drinking, kind of like everyone who enters a buffet restaurant pays the price even if they aren’t eating...but I have always thought that it’s quite awful in a way to require the purchase. Can it be purchased individually on board? If so, the policy should also be the same for a prepurchase.