TV's Samantha Brown Christens New AmaWaterways River Cruise Ship AmaMagna

Host Jazzbeau

Host Jazzbeau; thank you for posting this article.  The larger ships are limited;  guess it's similar to ocean cruising; where the larger ships can't dock in Tampa or Baltimore.  

AF-1: it's true, this ship [like the Crystal Mozart which is going out of that line's fleet] can only do part of the Danube centered on Vienna.  But I think that is actually a benefit:  Vienna is the most interesting city on the Danube, and all the other cruises just visit for a day or so on their way to/from Budapest.  Personally I think this itinerary that starts and ends in Vienna is the best, especially compared to the 14-night cruises from Amsterdam that cover the same ground as the Rhine itineraries and then go through the worst low-water areas of the Danube.  In addition this size ship offers more room in every department: bigger cabins, bigger bathrooms, bigger deck space, bigger lounge, more dining options, more entertainment options.  It would be the ideal introduction to river cruising.

Hi. We did book with Ama. We booked enchanting Rhine for next May.  I think we are on Ama Stella which was built in 2016.  I know the Magna offers more choice; my wife wanted to cruise the Rhine.  We shall see how it goes with our first river cruise 

The Rhine has always been my recommendation for a first river cruise.  It was our first, and it worked very well.  The AmaMagna option didn't exist then, but I don't think we would have gone that way.  Loved the combination of countries on the Rhine cruise.  It was especially eye-opening learning the stories of our guides' families in Alsace – it had never occurred to me that it was more than a new passport: new language, new rules and regulations affecting your shop, different school curriculums, new money, and being treated as an outsider [both times, since you weren't regarded as either truly German or truly French] – and the change happened several times in one lifetime!  So there's a lot to enjoy on this cruise.  And AmaStella is a great ship.  Enjoy!

On 7/13/2019 at 7:31 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Personally I think this itinerary that starts and ends in Vienna is the best, especially compared to the 14-night cruises from Amsterdam that cover the same ground as the Rhine itineraries and then go through the worst low-water areas of the Danube.  In addition this size ship offers more room in every department: bigger cabins, bigger bathrooms, bigger deck space, bigger lounge, more dining options, more entertainment options.  It would be the ideal introduction to river cruising.

I did the 10 day RT Vienna on the Mozart and loved the extra time in Vienna. Loved the itinerary. I think this ship will be a success.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:52 AM, AF-1 said:

Thanks,   Will post sometime next year when we return from our trip.  we are also doing pre cruise in Zurich and Lucerne. 

Looking @ this trip+ extensions for next year. Do you have any info on the Zurich-Basel portions?

CaroleLee, On our trip we depart the US on 6 May and arrive Zurich on 7 May.  We are met at the airport by Ama cruise director and are taken to our hotel; which is the Marriott Zurich. The day and night are free to roam. On the 8th we have breakfast included and head out with cruise director for tour of Zurich and the sights. We depart on the 9th and take bus tour of countryside and end up in Lucerne. The tour director checks us into hotel and we sightsee. On the 10 we have breakfast included and tour director takes us on tour of Lucerne and surrounding area. After breakfast we depart Lucerne on the 11th and take bus to the ship in Basel. We take our luggage onboard and have rest of the day to sightsee in Basel.  The ship departs Basel at night. We do 7night cruise and end up in Amsterdam on the afternoon on the 17th. We have the evening free to sightsee.  We spend the night on the ship and depart on 18th early next morning to fly back to the states. 

Edited by AF-1
spelling

On 7/23/2019 at 10:20 AM, AF-1 said:

CaroleLee, On our trip we depart the US on 6 May and arrive Zurich on 7 May.  We are met at the airport by Ama cruise director and are taken to our hotel; which is the Marriott Zurich. The day and night are free to roam. On the 8th we have breakfast included and head out with cruise director for tour of Zurich and the sights. We depart on the 9th and take bus tour of countryside and end up in Lucerne. The tour director checks us into hotel and we sightsee. On the 10 we have breakfast included and tour director takes us on tour of Lucerne and surrounding area. After breakfast we depart Lucerne on the 11th and take bus to the ship in Basel. We take our luggage onboard and have rest of the day to sightsee in Basel.  The ship departs Basel at night. We do 7night cruise and end up in Amsterdam on the afternoon on the 17th. We have the evening free to sightsee.  We spend the night on the ship and depart on 18th early next morning to fly back to the states. 

Many thx for your reply. I have been debating with myself re which Rhine cruise or to do Flavors of Spain & Portugal. Have decided on Rhine & Moselle Delights for next year,= Any additional info, suggestion you might have will be gratefully appreciated.

Esp interested in  Strasbourg & Riquewihr