Cheapest "luxury" cruise lines

zltm089

7 hours ago, wripro said:

. ANY OTHER LINE IS NOT A LUXURY LINE no matter how luxurious you personally think it is.  

I'm not sure about that......you didn't include newcomers like Ritz Carlton or European lines like Hapag Lloyd.....they have what many consider to be the top luxury cruise ship in the world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

I'm not sure about that......you didn't include newcomers like Ritz Carlton or European lines like Hapag Lloyd.....they have what many consider to be the top luxury cruise ship in the world. 

I "get" where wripro is coming from.  In the U.S., there is four luxury cruise lines that are sailed on the most ....... Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.

Hapag Lloyd's luxury ships (Europa 2 for instance) may be "what many consider to be the top luxury cruise ship in the world" but people in North America barely know about them.  What we do know is that very few guests (usually under 30 per cruise) speak English and children are welcome and catered to (again, not something that the "big four" luxury lines cater to).  For these reasons, I would not sail on Europa 2 if it were free.

Ritz Carlton to me is a joke (sorry but this is my honest feeling).  It may be wonderful but they are catering to high level hotel guests (giving them benefits, etc.).  IMHO, a luxury hotel and luxury cruise line have little in common.  

In terms of this thread, "cheap" and "luxury" do not belong in the same sentence.

Edited by Travelcat2

8 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

n terms of this thread, "cheap" and "luxury" do not belong in the same sentence.

Definitely agree.

However, whether or not you would sail on any particular line or ship doesn't change the fact that it could still be a luxury line (such as HL), and the fact that few people know about it might even make it more luxurious for its exclusivity.  For someone who says Princess or HAL can't be a luxury line even if someone really likes them, that person would surely have to agree that if someone says they don't ever want to sail on the Europa 2 or a Ritz Carlton ship doesn't make them NOT a luxury ship. 

The question isn't whether you (or I, or someone else) likes a ship or cruise line, but whether it's generally considered and treated as a luxury line. 

Agree with most of what you posted.  However, I have said more than once that Europa 2 is a luxury ship.  I don't know enough about Ritz Carlton to make a determination yet.  However, just like CC does not give Hapag Lloyd it's own board, many/most people in the U.S. do not even think about H-L.  When we post about luxury cruise lines, we discuss the "big four".  Seadream Yacht Club is also a luxury line but it is a yacht which, in my opinion, is different.  

Foreign (to those of us in the U.S.) cruise lines are not a big draw due to the language barrier.  Just this week there has been a discussion on the Regent board about why some Europeans won't sail on Regent, Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn.  The answer was almost always the language barrier.  I understand and agree with their feeling.

What irritates me (and apparently wripro) is when non-luxury cruise lines (Viking, Oceania, Azamara, etc.) are put on CC's Luxury Board.  It confuses people that are looking for a true luxury experience which they do not get on these premium-plus cruise lines.  

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

What irritates me (and apparently wripro) is when non-luxury cruise lines (Viking, Oceania, Azamara, etc.) are put on CC's Luxury Board.  It confuses people that are looking for a true luxury experience which they do not get on these premium-plus cruise lines.

Yup, I get that.......but that doesn't mean that ONLY those you listed (as the "big four") are the ONLY luxury cruise lines.  That's simply false, even if they're the only luxury cruise lines that those on CC are most likely to use. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

and children are welcome and catered to (again, not something that the "big four" luxury lines cater to).  

According to the following article both Crystal and Regent have programmes for children, and while Silversea, and Seabourn do not have programmes, children are allowed on board.

https://www.avidcruiser.com/2019/06/traveling-with-children-on-premium-upper-premium-and-luxury-cruise-lines/

Edited by English Voyager

22 minutes ago, English Voyager said:

According to the following article both Crystal and Regent have programmes for children, and while Silversea, and Seabourn do not have programmes, children are allowed on board.

https://www.avidcruiser.com/2019/06/traveling-with-children-on-premium-upper-premium-and-luxury-cruise-lines/

I just read on the Crystal board that the current Crystal Symphony cruise in Alaska has over 100 passengers under 18.

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yup, I get that.......but that doesn't mean that ONLY those you listed (as the "big four") are the ONLY luxury cruise lines.  That's simply false, even if they're the only luxury cruise lines that those on CC are most likely to use. 

Totally agree.  For instance, although some people who have never sailed on Hebridean Island Cruises think the Princess isn't "luxurious", they'd be dead wrong.  I can't wait to board in a couple of weeks for the excellent food, incredibly attentive service, included excursions and alcohol, unusual itineraries, no tipping, and comfortable staterooms.  Queen Elizabeth II has sailed her twice.  She only carries 49 passengers.  I used to be a diehard SeaDream fan, but our last three cruises have been Hebridean, and I think the experience compares very favorably.  But most Americans haven't heard of Hebridean.  Fine with me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Of course there are more than four luxury lines, however, unless a poster indicates that live in a country other than the U.S. or Canada, I refer to the four cruise lines most used by people in these two countries.  This works most of the time but I can understand why posters on this board would like to recognize luxury lines from other countries.

If it helps, when I mention the "big four" luxury cruise lines, I'll also make reference to luxury cruise lines in other countries but cannot comment on them.  I'll suggest that other posters will fill them in on those cruise lines. 

8 hours ago, English Voyager said:

I know that Regent also has a program for children (on some itineraries during the summer) but I recommend Crystal for children so that they don't go on Regent (just being honest).

The Silver Muse (Silversea) reportedly has a section for children.  Haven't checked out the website -- just something that I heard. 

57 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I know that Regent also has a program for children (on some itineraries during the summer) but I recommend Crystal for children so that they don't go on Regent (just being honest).

The Silver Muse (Silversea) reportedly has a section for children.  Haven't checked out the website -- just something that I heard. 

But then why say

'and children are welcome and catered to (again, not something that the "big four" luxury lines cater to).'?

4 hours ago, English Voyager said:

But then why say

'and children are welcome and catered to (again, not something that the "big four" luxury lines cater to).'?

Firstly, I was referring to Hapag-Lloyd when I said that children are catered to.  Then I said - referring to Crystal, Regent, Silversea and Seabourn wrote "again, not something that the "big four" luxury lines cater to)" 

Luxury cruise lines (the four that I mention) have passengers that really do not care to sail with children as we have "been there - done that".  We prefer a more adult experience (quiet, serene, no one dive bombing in the pool, speaking too loudly in restaurants, etc.). If you check out the luxury cruise lines that I mention, most of the passengers are not interested in sailing with children.  So, Regent (and Crystal) have programs for children during the summer and most people that regularly sail on these Iines avoid sailing on them during the summer (which could be one reason why Alaska cruises do not sell well).

45 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

So, Regent (and Crystal) have programs for children during the summer and most people that regularly sail on these Iines avoid sailing on them during the summer (which could be one reason why Alaska cruises do not sell well).

I know that the current Alaska cruise on Crystal is sold out and that at least several others this year are too. 

On 7/25/2019 at 6:35 PM, Texas Tillie said:

I know that the current Alaska cruise on Crystal is sold out and that at least several others this year are too. 

Our upcoming Crystal Alaska cruise is not only not full, but we have had two price reductions since we booked.  Regent keeps running specials to fill their Alaska cruises.  Wonder why Crystal Is pulling their ships from Alaska if it is so lucrative!?

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Our upcoming Crystal Alaska cruise is not only not full, but we have had two price reductions since we booked.  Regent keeps running specials to fill their Alaska cruises.  Wonder why Crystal Is pulling their ships from Alaska if it is so lucrative!?

In Alaska there is ample choice - it seems Celebrity and HAL are the leaders of the market overthere.

There were several offers on Crystal  for Alaska ,  i booked one however i change the cruise for the Med as I was opposing the flights .

I think luxury is a very personal feeling as well. I did once a cruise on MSC in Yacht Club what is not luxury for sure however for a vast majority of the pax it really was … Free drinks , constantly free food in that lounge  "sweet and salt" changed a few times a day -  like in a better airport business lounge. That was my feeling.

And in the luxury level , nearly all the cruise companies are performing some not so luxurious aspects :

the late embarkation time and no free mineral water   on Hapag Lloyd , the parties with prosecco on SS and SB , the extra fee for speciality restaurants on SS and Crystal ( the 2nd time ) , MDR closed for lunch and breakfast , canned orange juice on several …( i do not know Regent )

On 7/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, wripro said:

Why is it so difficult to comprehend that a board dedicated to luxury cruising be limited to luxury cruise lines? These are them: Crystal, Regent,Seabourn, Silversea, Sea Dream. ANY OTHER LINE IS NOT A LUXURY LINE no matter how luxurious you personally think it is.

Wow, not aware that Cruise Critic provides restrictions on which, and more importantly which Cruise Lines can't be discussed on the Luxury Cruising Board. These discussion Boards are also a worldwide resource, not just the US.

While you personally may only have 5 on your list, I can assure you their are many other small luxurious cruise ships operating in other countries, some of which have already been mentioned. Personally, I enjoy reading others experiences, with what they consider "luxury" and have no desire for the discussion to be limited to your narrow perspective.

I look forward to reading a report on the Hebridean Princess, an exceptional cruising experience that didn't make your list, but is probably a significantly greater luxury experience than your 5 listed Lines. I also enjoyed the posts a few months ago comparing the experience of a mega ship suite to a luxury line.

Suggest if you don't wish to read this content, don't open the threads and leave the Moderators to decide what is appropriate content for the Board. 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, wripro said:

Why is it so difficult to comprehend that a board dedicated to luxury cruising be limited to luxury cruise lines? These are them: Crystal, Regent,Seabourn, Silversea, Sea Dream. ANY OTHER LINE IS NOT A LUXURY LINE no matter how luxurious you personally think it is.

Deleted due to duplicate post

Edited by Heidi13

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Crystal has never done Alaska every year. I have their brochures since 2007 and if I feel like it, I'll look and see how many of those years they did Alaska. (Don't hold your breath waiting for me to feel like it.😎)

9 hours ago, vistaman said:

In Alaska there is ample choice - it seems Celebrity and HAL are the leaders of the market overthere.

There were several offers on Crystal  for Alaska ,  i booked one however i change the cruise for the Med as I was opposing the flights .

Actually, Princess is way above Celebrity when it comes to Alaska. This year both Holland America and Princess have 6 ships doing Alaska whereas Celebrity has 3.

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Well, when you've only got 2 ships, there will be many parts of the world that you can't cover very often.

The only things that I know about Crystal are from reading CC and the Crystal board.  I would have no way of knowing that Crystal does not always go to Alaska.  I have just observed that Regent is not filling their ship on Alaska itineraries and Crystal is lowering prices.  Obviously I will know more when I sail on Symphony in September.

I do “get” that Crystal only has two ocean going ships so what you say makes sense.  It is kind of amazing that Crystal does Alaska at all!

Vistaman - Hapag Lloyd charging for mineral water really surprises me.  We drink Perrier on Regent all the time (at no cost).  

15 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Wow, not aware that Cruise Critic provides restrictions on which, and more importantly which Cruise Lines can't be discussed on the Luxury Cruising Board. These discussion Boards are also a worldwide resource, not just the US.

While you personally may only have 5 on your list, I can assure you their are many other small luxurious cruise ships operating in other countries, some of which have already been mentioned. Personally, I enjoy reading others experiences, with what they consider "luxury" and have no desire for the discussion to be limited to your narrow perspective.

I look forward to reading a report on the Hebridean Princess, an exceptional cruising experience that didn't make your list, but is probably a significantly greater luxury experience than your 5 listed Lines. I also enjoyed the posts a few months ago comparing the experience of a mega ship suite to a luxury line.

Suggest if you don't wish to read this content, don't open the threads and leave the Moderators to decide what is appropriate content for the Board. 

Watch the Hebridean Princess board. I always blog about my Hebridean cruises and will be doing so again after our next cruise, which departs on August 5th. ❤️ 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 2:45 PM, zltm089 said:

Thank you all once again for the recommendation and insights. 

I looked briefly at HAL and Celebrity (not many pictures on their websites), that's the kind of ships I was after (the interior decor and dining etc). However, they all seem to lack the other facilities/entertainment of the "mainstream" lines.

It does look like I will have to decide between lines like HAL/Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean. 

Will keep you guys posted. 

I would definitely choose Holland America or Celebrity over Royal Caribbean. The food in the main dining room on Royal Caribbean was uninspiring (pretty boring) after 2 nights we ended up in the buffet for our evening meals. 

In contrast the food on the other two was very good, well prepared and well presented and extremely tasty.

Also, the entertainment on HAL and Celebrity was way better than that on our RC cruise (which was at times embarrassingly bad)

On 7/26/2019 at 9:54 PM, Travelcat2 said:

TC....Crystal has learned to not sail Alaska every year because it is challenging to fill a luxury ship that size year over year.  In fact, when it pulled out of Alaska for a few years and returned it did fill the ships quite well but if they repeat it too often they are not going to fill the ship year over year.

In terms of your sailing you are late in the season as is the final one that comes after your cruise.

The peak time is July and August for Alaska for several reasons and that includes weather and also when school is out for the summer.

Crystal will be returning to Alaska on Ocean Vessels in 2021 and 2022 but is taking 2020 off from Alaska and I suspect for the reason I mentioned.

Keith