Civitavecchia Port to FCO, recommended options?

swdke

What is the best or recommended transportation from Civitavecchia Port to FCO airport?  Planning to get off ship as early as we can, plan to take advantage of walk off ship with baggage.  Appreciate all information, advice and recommendations?  Thank you.

The best is a private helicopter. The second best is a limo, sipping prosecco. At least, that is "best" to us. What is "best" to you?

There are dozens of threads discussing transport port to airport. What is your flight time? That will determine the urgency of your needs.

We would use Rome in Limo...huge thread just down the board. Wonderful company.

• Haha 2

I agree with CruiserBruce.  

I always recommend a private vehicle.  There are various companies including Rome in Limo and Rome Cabs.  They both provide private vehicles.  I would check them both out and don't wait to book as there is a finite supply of vehicles they offer.

Keith

There is an option between a private car (expensive) and the train (lots of hassle for this route; more difficult than going into Rome) -- shared shuttles. A couple have already been recommended and others can be found by reading these boards. Shared shuttles range from 70-90 euro/couple as opposed to a private car, which can run 130-150 euro. 

Is it relatively easy to find your private car service (and do you recommend carry-off for luggage)?  I'm wondering if there's a lot of chaos with drivers standing around with signs, taxis or buses lined up, etc.???? 

3 hours ago, Truluv said:

Is it relatively easy to find your private car service (and do you recommend carry-off for luggage)?  I'm wondering if there's a lot of chaos with drivers standing around with signs, taxis or buses lined up, etc.???? 

It's rare to read a report from anyone about having difficulty finding their driver. It just sorts itself out, much as it does at airports. Be sure you understand where to meet your driver, and when, and you should not have any problem.

Whether or not to do carry-off depends a lot on your time frame. If you have plenty of time to get to the airport, and handling all your luggage poses a difficulty, there's no reason to do it. Onboard ship you can request an early time slot for your tags and they should accommodate you. 

Alternatively, if you only have a limited window of time to get to the airport in order to make your flight, then doing walk-off with your luggage is a good idea as it eliminates another possible time snafu.

How long do you have between your ship arrival and your flight? What time are you going to request a pick-up for?

Our flight is around 12:30 or so.  We made reservations with the car service mentioned on RCL's site (and prepaid) for all of our transportation (pick up at airport to Rome hotel, then Rome hotel to port a few days later... and finally, from the port back to airport).   They requested our arrival and departure flight info, but we haven't verified the pickup time at the port with them yet for our 10/3 cruise.

56 minutes ago, Truluv said:

Our flight is around 12:30 or so.  We made reservations with the car service mentioned on RCL's site (and prepaid) for all of our transportation (pick up at airport to Rome hotel, then Rome hotel to port a few days later... and finally, from the port back to airport).   They requested our arrival and departure flight info, but we haven't verified the pickup time at the port with them yet for our 10/3 cruise.

You should have plenty of time. I'd suggest 8:30 am pick up for a 12:30 flight, given the hour drive. The transport services know the timings well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 1:44 PM, Ine said:

Check this website with some options, good company. https://www.civitavecchiashuttleexpress.com/services/cruise-port-transfers.html

We used this company in June and couldn’t fault them. We shared a mini bus from port o our accommodation in central Rome. It had been organised by somebody on our Roll Call. We also usedthem to return from Rome to FCO. Couldn’t fault their service.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello,  There seems to be some very knowledgeable folks on this thread so perhaps you can help.  My ship will dock at 7 am on a Sunday and I need to catch a flight to Amsterdam around noon.  I assume that is not only possible but also reasonable.  Should I schedule the shuttle or the private cab?  What time should I schedule?  This is very advanced planning but is pertinent to choosing my flight.  

Thank you for your assistance.  

For a "domestic" flight (intra Europe), you should have little problem making it. An 8am pickup should be plenty early. I would not make the pickup after 9am, for comfort.

The vehicle you use is up to you, all will work.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

For a "domestic" flight (intra Europe), you should have little problem making it. An 8am pickup should be plenty early. I would not make the pickup after 9am, for comfort.

Thanks @CruiserBruce

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Hello,  There seems to be some very knowledgeable folks on this thread so perhaps you can help.  My ship will dock at 7 am on a Sunday and I need to catch a flight to Amsterdam around noon.  I assume that is not only possible but also reasonable.  Should I schedule the shuttle or the private cab?  What time should I schedule?  This is very advanced planning but is pertinent to choosing my flight.  

Thank you for your assistance.  

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just a couple of additional caveats:

If there are any additional COVID screenings/questionnaires/pinch points still in place by the time you are traveling, I would definitely allow the extra time that an 8:00 departure gives. It takes an hour (driving time) more or less, from the port to the airport. Most recommend allowing 3 hours AFTER arrival at FCO for US-bound flights which have extra screening, and a good 2 hours for intra-EU flights. And that is pre-COVID...

Also, not sure if the "shuttle" you're asking about is the cruise line offering or a private multi-passenger shuttle. If it is the latter, you may also want to schedule on the earlier (e.g., 8am) side, as the shuttle may have additional pick-ups/wait points for passengers from other cruise lines.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

@cruisemom42  Thank you.  That is a good point.  I was speaking of the shuttle given by @Ineearlier in this thread.  I have had bad experiences with cruise line shuttles getting me to the airport in time.  If you can share any experience in that regard I would appreciate it.

Agree with cruise mom,  Rome airport needs the three hours as one never knows what can happen.   We’ve used a shared shuttle to the port with out issue.  We’ve always used Stephane’s Romecabs to the airport,  great piece of mind. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yogini06 said:

I did this shared shuttle three years ago.  Very reasonably priced and they were waiting as we disembarked. 

How many people are on the shuttle?  Did you have to wait for others?  That always worries me about shuttles even though the price is very attractive.  Thank you

• 3 weeks later...