Advice on health insurance for medical emergencies

docboy

Seeing if I can get some feedback for my parents.  My dad's health is not the greatest, and he'll be traveling with my family and I this August from Miami on the MSC Armonia.

He is already insured and current health insurance through his employer.  My question is, if he is in need of medical emergency services while at sea or at one of the ports, will his medical insurance cover needed health services?  What if he has severe medical emergency and requires transport back to the states for care?  I suppose the US Coast Guard will come and air lift him to closest hospital; if so, is this airlift fee covered by his insurance, or will it be an expensive helicopter ride?

Should he try to secure additional international health insurance? 

Any insight recommended, thanks!

I always get travel insurance for me and my husband.  It's generally less than $100 for a week for the two of us.  I had to use it....had $3500 worth of medical care on NCL Escape.

If the coast guard airlifts, it's no charge.  But if you're not in US waters or too far out at sea it could be a very costly experience.

Even if his policy covers "out of the country" (I don't think they do....and the foreign hospitals want payment upfront........for the small price it's worth having).

Edited by April42749

12 minutes ago, April42749 said:

I always get travel insurance for me and my husband.  It's generally less than $100 for a week for the two of us.  I had to use it....had $3500 worth of medical care on NCL Escape.

If the coast guard airlifts, it's no charge.  But if you're not in US waters or too far out at sea it could be a very costly experience.

Even if his policy covers "out of the country" (I don't think they do....and the foreign hospitals want payment upfront........for the small price it's worth having).

Thanks for sharing.

Mind me asking, what is the name of the travel insurance you and your husband used?  I would like to call the company and get a quote. Thanks.

42 minutes ago, docboy said:

Thanks for sharing.

Mind me asking, what is the name of the travel insurance you and your husband used?  I would like to call the company and get a quote. Thanks.

Insure My Trip .......go a google search.

57 minutes ago, docboy said:

Seeing if I can get some feedback for my parents.  My dad's health is not the greatest, and he'll be traveling with my family and I this August from Miami on the MSC Armonia.

He is already insured and current health insurance through his employer.  My question is, if he is in need of medical emergency services while at sea or at one of the ports, will his medical insurance cover needed health services?  What if he has severe medical emergency and requires transport back to the states for care?  I suppose the US Coast Guard will come and air lift him to closest hospital; if so, is this airlift fee covered by his insurance, or will it be an expensive helicopter ride?

Having had ill parents on both sides as well as personal experience, I unfortunately know far too much on this subject.

It is IMPERATIVE that you read your dad's employee benefit book or check the website.

The legal definitions have changed to the insurers benefit (*gasp*) over the last few years. The pre-existing condition clause has become extremely stringent. Generally for your dad to be covered, he will have had to be medically stable for the 90 days before the departure date. That means NO changes in meds and NO visits to the doctor to have something checked out even if it turned out to be nothing. In the case of cardiac events, the 90 day rider can easily increase to 180 days.

As an example of a cost, I had a relative need to be air-ambulanced out of Mexico to Toronto. That little excursion cost about $80 000.00 USD, exclusive of the medical treatment rendered.

Read the fine print and if you don't fully understand it, have it read by someone who does!

20 hours ago, docboy said:

There is an insurance forum that you should repost your question on.  There are a couple of cruise insurance brokers that a lot of folks like and recommend.  You will be advised to call one and discuss your situation to see what fits best.  It's good advice.  Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

There is an insurance forum that you should repost your question on.  There are a couple of cruise insurance brokers that a lot of folks like and recommend.  You will be advised to call one and discuss your situation to see what fits best.  It's good advice.  Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Thanks for the link!  From your posted link I saw this post below in a recent thread under said forum.  Will contact them since primary health emergency is due to a preexisting condition.   Appreciate the heads up by everyone here re: preexisting condition coverage.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:51 AM, Suzanne123 said:

Geoblue Voyager and Trekker Choice plans do have a pre existing condition waiver even at the last minute.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/single-trip/voyager-5-overview.cfm

Edited by docboy

When I was working, we had medevac insurance as a group benefit.  Now I have to purchase it.  If your dad is older, any kind of supplemental insurance will be expensive.  I would have him inquire of his employer as to whether all this is covered or not.  If he has a pre-existing condition, you need to purchase the insurance within a certain time of booking, so make sure you have that covered.

2 hours ago, docboy said:

Thanks for the link!  From your posted link I saw this post below in a recent thread under said forum.  Will contact them since primary health emergency is due to a preexisting condition.   Appreciate the heads up by everyone here re: preexisting condition coverage.

Although my own annual travel health policy happens to be with geoblue, I think you are better off talking to one of the highly spoken of multi-vendor agents than geoblue directly.  What fits one person may not fit you, and depending on your specific circumstances geoblue might not be your best fit.

Professional advice is better than forum advice.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

Insurance is very subjective and as we all know a minefield!

Having working in the FS industry for twenty years before it drove me to ruin I would say it is NEVER about the premium and always about the small print. Equally NEVER about the point of sale but ALWAYS about the time of need.

The industry is bent and all insurers would prefer NOT to pay your claim ...not a slight but a fact.

Recent story of an Australian couple on a retirement vacation to Europe that included a seven night cruise.

The gent of the couple fell down a flight of stairs and ended up in hospital with a bleed to the brain.

All good initially but whilst he was in his bed recovering the insurer requested full CCTV access from the ship.

Eventually they have reported that as he had a drink two hours before his fall ....guess the rest!!!

Shambolic and in my opinion wrong ...Though I guarantee you it was in the small print that you cannot read, but should.

Not sure of the line or the insurance house ....though possibly best for that!

I accept there are different rules for across the pond but will tell you about a friend's medical emergency  about 4 yrs ago.

They set off for a family trip to Barbados and after 2/3 days she felt quite ill so a doctor was called then an ambulance to take her to hospital but not before her husband paid $5000 US for bills that may be accrued. He was not allowed to travel with her and had to follow in a taxi to the hospital. It was decided after a couple of days she need care they could not give in Barbados and she was medevaced to Broward hospital in Florida. She spent 8 weeks there and then transported on a medical flight back to the UK via New York and Greenland this route was taken so they could touch down should her condition deteriorate, her final flight landed 15 minutes from her home but took her to a local hospital where she spent a further 10 weeks. The total cost for this was in excess of £500,000 and was covered by their insurance. The initial $5000 he paid was back on his credit card within 2 days of payment and they covered his room at a motel near the hospital in Florida.

My friend is doing OK now a little weak on her legs but doing OK  --we have never and would never travel without insurance even though our premiums used to be loaded due to past medical conditions

• Like 1