Royal cancelling US Virgins cruises

ssb

On 7/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, legaljen1969 said:

You are absolutely correct.  Build it and they will come. That's their motto. Build it bigger, charge higher prices and make everyone believe they MUST have it.   And they just keep spending and spending.  It's like this hypnotic effect.  "Lets make them all believe they must spend every last penny they have or their lives will be meaningless."   And people go for it. 

Disney is masterful at this. 
And I am a Disney fanatic. 

Tell them they can't have it and they will pay more.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Tell them they can't have it and they will pay more.

It tends to have the opposite affect on me. Tell me I can't have it and I feel relieved that I no longer have to think about whether it is worth the expense or not. My bank account wins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, sandebeach said:

Very interesting to read this, right after Royal made the announcement that Empress would be cruising to the British Virgin Islands (Tortola) in 2020.  

We're in SJ today, Tortola tomorrow, and ST the day after. 

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We're in SJ today, Tortola tomorrow, and ST the day after. 

You must be on a 8 nighter. Same intinerary we have next month.

How is the Empress?  It has been a couple of years since we sailed her Any sewer smells like I keep reading about?

Edited by coaster

3 minutes ago, coaster said:

You must be on a 8 nighter. Same intinerary we have next month.

How is the Empress?  It has been a couple of years since we sailed her Any sewer smells like I keep reading about?

Well first off SJ just got cancelled.  Missed the announcement from Captain,  but something about civil unrest and tear gas 

Enjoying the ship, the water in bathroom has an odd smell. Kind of like sulphur.  We are on deck 8. Schooner bar has a bit of a sewage odor in some places

18 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Well first off SJ just got cancelled.  Missed the announcement from Captain,  but something about civil unrest and tear gas 

Apparently they have an issue with the governor and want a resignation. For what I can find the protests are happening in Old San Juan in the area of the governor's mansion. The article I saw says the streets are "choked with protesters".

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Enjoying the ship, the water in bathroom has an odd smell. Kind of like sulphur.  We are on deck 8. Schooner bar has a bit of a sewage odor in some places

Sorry to hear about SJ. Thanks for the update.

40 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Did the ship dock in San Juan?

On 7/14/2019 at 3:24 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

Well, that's what happened to the 800,000 people who lost their booked Cuba cruises as of a few months back...

It happens. 

It is not really the same thing.  The decision to halt cruises to Cuba was made by a person who was elected by the citizens of the United States and anyone who is a citizen of the United States and who lost his or her booked Cuba cruise is free to decide how to vote in 2020 based on that issue.  I doubt whether many people will consider that the deciding issue but we all have that right.  However, we do not get to vote for the directors of cruise lines unless we happen to be stock holders.  If course, anyone with a refundable deposit can cancel his or her cruise but there might not be a replacement available at a similar price and, in any case, the majority of people probably do not have refundable deposits.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Tell them to flush

According to My Cruises, my Sept 7th Symphony cruise still has St. Thomas.  I sure hope nothing happens with that.  I've been to St. Thomas numerous times, but we're traveling with a couple who hasn't.  Better not ruin our plans for Sapphire Beach!😡

• 4 weeks later...

I been to St. Thomas many times, would like a change of port but certainly not be happy if it were Nassau.  Why can't they add like they used to have back in the 70's and 80's Martinique, guadalope, Grenada and such, would love if they go to different ports than the same old ones over and over and over.

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I been to St. Thomas many times, would like a change of port but certainly not be happy if it were Nassau.  Why can't they add like they used to have back in the 70's and 80's Martinique, guadalope, Grenada and such, would love if they go to different ports than the same old ones over and over and over.

Because the largest ships need extensive infrastructure improvements at the port to accept these larger ships. This is the downside to how large these ships have become. 

On 8/11/2019 at 4:23 PM, Blizzard54 said:

The Allure has now been rescheduled until it's drydock.  No more St Thomas or Roatan alternating weeks. 

Are you saying they’re not going to St Thomas any more?   We sail dec 8 on Allure and lost St. Kitts to SJ (totally bites) and now we may lose St. Thomas too?!?   Would be okay if we go to Tortola - but Nassau would be a double negative whammy 

Edited by Djsmrs
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

It wouldn’t have been a 7 day cruise out of Florida visiting those ports.  There’s really not a whole lot of options on a 7 day itinerary

On 7/14/2019 at 10:34 AM, awestover89 said:

We have the same issue here in Key West, with many of the locals at least. Always complaining about the crowds and not wanting tourists, but whenever something happens to limit the number of tourists, a bunch of businesses end up closing/laying off workers. So much of the income generated for the island comes from tourists (hotels, bars, restaurants, etc) and when there's a lull in tourism their income dries up significantly.

We live in a very seasonal tourist area.  I completely understand tourists are our economic backbone and pay my bills.  With that said, I love to see them come and by the end of our tourist season, I'm glad to see them go.    I never forget the fact that tourism is our biggest industry.

3 hours ago, Djsmrs said:

Are you saying they’re not going to St Thomas any more?   We sail dec 8 on Allure and lost St. Kitts to SJ (totally bites) and now we may lose St. Thomas too?!?   Would be okay if we go to Tortola - but Nassau would be a double negative whammy 

oops,  I meant to say St Kitts, sorry.