Techno music

MISTER 67

We sailed on the Equinox on June 15 for 7 days to the Western Caribbean, it was our 60th cruise and overall it was one our best best cruises. Only one complaint, during the day in the Grand Foyer and other areas of the ship Celebrity has found it necessary to destroy our eardrums with the worst loud music on the planet, another passenger said it was called Techno music, constant drum beating  with every song sounding the same. I cant imagine anyone saying to themselves "I have to go buy that album". I'll will add that the live music starting at 5:30 PM in the Grand Foyer was outstanding with 2 great bands playing great songs from the 50s and 60s. I'm really puzzled why a classy line like Celebrity would pipe in that horrible music, curious if anyone else feels the same way. We always have a cocktail before dinner on our cruises at 5pm in the Passport lounge and we couldn't converse with each other because of the lousy loud music. We enjoyed the rest of the cruise so much that we booked another cruise on the Equinox on August 31st.

3 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We sailed on the Equinox on June 15 for 7 days to the Western Caribbean, it was our 60th cruise and overall it was one our best best cruises. Only one complaint, during the day in the Grand Foyer and other areas of the ship Celebrity has found it necessary to destroy our eardrums with the worst loud music on the planet, another passenger said it was called Techno music, constant drum beating  with every song sounding the same. I cant imagine anyone saying to themselves "I have to go buy that album". I'll will add that the live music starting at 5:30 PM in the Grand Foyer was outstanding with 2 great bands playing great songs from the 50s and 60s. I'm really puzzled why a classy line like Celebrity would pipe in that horrible music, curious if anyone else feels the same way. We always have a cocktail before dinner on our cruises at 5pm in the Passport lounge and we couldn't converse with each other because of the lousy loud music. We enjoyed the rest of the cruise so much that we booked another cruise on the Equinox on August 31st.

I have to say, I agree with your statement that I highlighted above! It did make me chuckle, though.  

That noise bombarded me daily for 24 hours, all seven days that I was on the edge in December. It is one of the main reasons I will never sail on edge again. Even the Christmas music had the techno beat. And what was worse, is if you were sitting in café Al Bacio there was one beat going in your right ear and another in your left ear, Because there were two different soundtracks playing. I couldn’t escape that beat even at night in my room.  I begged them to turn it down, and it would be a little better for a few minutes, and then someone would turn it right back up.

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

That noise bombarded me daily for 24 hours, all seven days that I was on the edge in December. It is one of the main reasons I will never sail on edge again. Even the Christmas music had the techno beat. And what was worse, is if you were sitting in café Al Bacio there was one beat going in your right ear and another in your left ear, Because there were two different soundtracks playing. I couldn’t escape that beat even at night in my room.  I begged them to turn it down, and it would be a little better for a few minutes, and then someone would turn it right back up.

I hear you, we also complained but to no avail.

We have found that some restaurants that we frequent here in Sebring Florida have also decided to do the Techno Music thing, impossible to have a nice quiet dinner, needless to say they have lost our business.

28 minutes ago, hcat said:

Wow..another strike against EQUINOX...sad!

The ship is wonderful and very classy, the problem has to be someone with Celebrity who has decided to shove this horrible music into our eardrums, as another poster stated, it was an issue also on the Edge

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

I had issues with this on Reflection in November.

I actually do like some techno music. When I want to listen to it, at a volume of my choosing. Not blared into cafes and lounges without discrimination.

Rumor on this board seems they are trying to get millennials and other younger demographics who like to travel, to sail their line...

This frequent traveling, frequent cruising (technically millennial although I don't identify with them) thirtysomething does NOT like it.

Gee.. we never heard the techno  music loop on the EDGE.. lucky I guess!

I thought they dumped that horrible  endless loop of techo garbage a few yrs ago.. It was truly non stop awful!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

I thought they dumped that horrible  endless loop of techo garbage a few yrs ago.. It was truly non stop awful!

Hi hcat, I don’t recall Techno music on Edge in January or April.  Just checked with DH and he concurs.

Just now, tallnthensome said:

What is an album? .......just kidding. Remember, Celebrity wants to target millennials now and they'll use techno dance to do it. Not albums from the 50's and 60's.  

As I stated earlier they had 2 live bands playing all the great hits from the 50s and 60s every night in the Grand Foyer. They also had a great young solo guitarist named Sasha who played a lot of oldies for some of us oldies. She also on the last night did a Beatles concert in Celebrity Central, lot of sing along songs.

9 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

What is an album? .......just kidding. Remember, Celebrity wants to target millennials now and they'll use techno dance to do it. Not albums from the 50's and 60's.  

This made me laugh.  Years ago one of my nieces referred to my Dad’s albums as big CDs.  My guess is that many younger people today don’t know the term album.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

49 years old here, soon to be 50. And techno is one of my favorite modern genres. Been a fan for almost 20 years now, and I’ve even written a song in that genre. Heard a great techno beat approaching Tobacco Bay beach in Bermuda and couldn’t have been happier. I find it energizing and love to play it as a pick me up at work if I’m in need of one. I’m actually glad to hear that they play it on Celebrity ships at times. And for what it’s worth, I find 90’s pop and hip-hop soundtracks annoying in the way you found the techno. And while I’m no stranger to the 50’s and 60’s music my dad listened to all the time, and have bought copies of several popular 60s songs for my library that I really like, I’d go nucking futs if I had to listen to it all day, every day.

But I get where you’re coming from. Music is constantly changing, and those changes will invariably upset one group or another used to the older styles. But  places that play music meant to cater to a wide range of humans have to change with it or their customers are going to age out and never get replaced as word gets out that the place is “old style” / “square” / “uncool”.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Millennials are not enticed to buy anything because they hear music, techno or otherwise.

The music being played is to give a sense of energy: the hip, modern sensibility they tout.

I personally prefer no music at all versus a constant soundtrack (of any sort) but most people don't seem to want to be alone with their thoughts.

Edited by bEwAbG

15 hours ago, hcat said:

AGREED! Someone needs to tell LLP that it's not 2010 anymore! The Millennials that I know don't listen to that particular genre of music. Of course, they work hard, and don't spend all of their time and money in clubs, either.  And, IMHO, dance clubs are just about the only place that loud, thumping, over-bassed techno 'music' is appropriate. I certainly do NOT want to listen to it while I'm trying to eat breakfast in the Oceanview Cafe!

Edited by wwcruisers
  • Like 1

I absolutely HATE the techno music on the ship.  We have found it to be mainly an issue at the Martini Bar, and happens on most ships and sailings we have been on (and now retired we sail 6+ cruises on Celebrity each year).  On some ships not only do they play it, but they BLAST it out of the speakers so you can't even talk to the person next to you even when shouting.  Hate it, hate it, hate it.  I know they want to appeal to a younger crowd, but I am not sure the younger crowd even likes it.  And while they are trying to be more in style so to speak, they need to look around and see who is actually on the ship.  On our sailings, the average age ranged from 50's to 70's+ depending on the length of the cruise (we don't sail summers or spring break anymore).  The younger crowd is NOT THERE.  Hello, Celebrity, wake up.  Wish for younger rich millennials if you want, but in the meantime, how about you appeal to those who actually paid money to sail on your ships.  One ship had a DJ in the Martini Bar who actually played some Frank Sinatra and other supper club music for awhile.  Classy!  Then he played current music, but not techno style.  it was great.

• Like 1

Wow! I guess a lot has changed since we cruised at Christmas on Reflection last year😏. We love Celebrity - especially for their choice of music. Last year we absolutely did not hear any techno at all, nowhere! I am 40 and my husband is 58 and we always find something we like. They had an ABBA party in the grand flyer at Christmas and it was absolutely fantastic- you could see kids (as young as 8 years old), teenagers, young adults, people my age and older all dancing and singing on top of their lungs to ABBA songs! Then they had silent disco (your own set of headphones) with 3 chanels for one to choose " 1.Current Latin music 2. Current Pop music 3. 50s, 60s etc music- man, it was awesome! Everyone was dancing to their own music! I absolutely love Celebrity for that particular feature and we are active participants in any dancing/music event they organize. Having said that, I will be with you sailing August 31st on Equinox and absolutely cannot imagine dancing to techno!!! 

• Thanks 1

What they play is far from techno. At best it’s dance mixes of top 40 singles. But just as much as it may not be to your taste, the person sitting next to you may not want to listen to Buddy Holly all evening either. They do a pretty good job offering a variety of music and genres through the ship. If you don’t like it, there are other options. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kloos5 said:

Wow! I guess a lot has changed since we cruised at Christmas on Reflection last year😏. We love Celebrity - especially for their choice of music. Last year we absolutely did not hear any techno at all, nowhere! I am 40 and my husband is 58 and we always find something we like. They had an ABBA party in the grand flyer at Christmas and it was absolutely fantastic- you could see kids (as young as 8 years old), teenagers, young adults, people my age and older all dancing and singing on top of their lungs to ABBA songs! Then they had silent disco (your own set of headphones) with 3 chanels for one to choose " 1.Current Latin music 2. Current Pop music 3. 50s, 60s etc music- man, it was awesome! Everyone was dancing to their own music! I absolutely love Celebrity for that particular feature and we are active participants in any dancing/music event they organize. Having said that, I will be with you sailing August 31st on Equinox and absolutedly cannot imagine dancing to techno!!! 

I'm glad the majority so far agree with my OP, we too will be sailing on the Aug 31 cruise on the Equinox. My guess and hope is that the music will be toned down a bit as school is back in session and the majority of the passengers will be in the 40-70 age group. 

If not and they keep blasting that bombastic no melody music then it's back to Princess and Holland America for us, in fact we are already booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

What they play is far from techno. At best it’s dance mixes of top 40 singles. But just as much as it may not be to your taste, the person sitting next to you may not want to listen to Buddy Holly all evening either. They do a pretty good job offering a variety of music and genres through the ship. If you don’t like it, there are other options. 

Sorry but on the 6.15.22 Equinox sailing that obnoxious bombastic music was played in most of the public areas including the buffet all day long up until 5:30pm. I'm not sure what the music is called but another passenger said it was Techno music but I'm not possitive what they call it.

I think the cruise director plays a large part in this. The sad truth is that on some cruises the music played is not appropriate either for the occasion or location on the ship.  They do play techno music sometimes and the speakers in some locations are not suitable, not just for techno but other types as well. What should be a deep bass comes over like someone hitting a tin can with the  continual rythm working like a woodpecker tapping into your brain and the treble is like the annoying hiss you get from someones excessively load cheap smartphone earphones. As mentioned, there are often points on the ship where you feel like you're in a mental institution because you're driven mad by hearing two different tunes at once. An example is the sunset bar where often the lawn music clashes with the bar music, even when theres live acts on.

• Like 1

I don't care what they call it. I don't really care what they're  playing. But will someone PLEASE  tell LLP that there is a volume control knob, and level 11 is not appropriate  24/7 -in every single venue on the ship! You can't even have a normal conversation on the pool deck when that crap is constantly blaring. Seems like you have to escape to your cabin to get any peace and quiet.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The techno re-mixes of "Silent Night" and "Frosty the Snowmen" were particularly hellish.

Yeah, that's a boundary that even I will agree should not be crossed! 😨

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1